Do I need cpu cooler to test bench and troubleshoot

Hello. 
I’m doing my first build and I wanted to test before I put mine in the case. I was wondering do I need to have the cpu cooler on for this? I’m not gonna overclock, I just want to get everything booted. I’m using an evga z370 ftw with intel i5 9600k. My cooler is a Corsair h60 so I’m a bit stumped on how to use an aio cooler for test bench. Also I have a evga 1080 ftw gpu. 
help is greatly appreciated 

thanks!

Just now, WanderingFoe said:

I’m doing my first build and I wanted to test before I put mine in the case. I was wondering do I need to have the cpu cooler on for this? I’m not gonna overclock, I just want to get everything booted. I’m using an evga z370 ftw with intel i5 9600k. My cooler is a Corsair h60 so I’m a bit stumped on how to use an aio cooler for test bench. Also I have a evga 1080 ftw gpu. 

Don't use the system with no cooler installed.

I would rather have you strap the AIO with no fans installed to the CPU, to have at least some cooling.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You can put the stock cooler on if it's easier, but running a CPU without a cooler is a very, very bad idea. You can find YouTube videos of people cooking on uncooked CPUs.

"Shashabooey" - Po

10 minutes ago, CloroxBleach57 said:

You can put the stock cooler on if it's easier, but running a CPU without a cooler is a very, very bad idea. You can find YouTube videos of people cooking on uncooked CPUs.

The current Intel K-series CPU's unfortunately don't come with a stock cooler anymore. Otherwise that would be my go-to suggestion too :(

But of course if OP has an older stock cooler laying around (or has a buddy with one they can borrow) that would be an issue solution too.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

The current Intel K-series CPU's unfortunately don't come with a stock cooler anymore. Otherwise that would be my go-to suggestion too :(

But of course if OP has an older stock cooler laying around (or has a buddy with one they can borrow) that would be an issue solution too.

Oh that sucks, I didn't realize. I mean really it's not a huge problem but for OP's scenario it gets annoying since setting up watercooling on a test bench is inconvinient even if it is an AIO.

"Shashabooey" - Po

Appreciate the quick responses! Thank you. I will definitely use a cooler, maybe I can order a cheap stock cooler if not I’ll try to make something to mount the h60 on 

35 minutes ago, minibois said:

Don't use the system with no cooler installed.

I would rather have you strap the AIO with no fans installed to the CPU, to have at least some cooling.

Water cooling fins are too tightly packed for that to be a real solution.

"Shashabooey" - Po

Update.  I found a cooler master i30 cooler for about $15. Would that be sufficient for test bench for the i5 9600k?

3 minutes ago, WanderingFoe said:

Appreciate the quick responses! Thank you. I will definitely use a cooler, maybe I can order a cheap stock cooler if not I’ll try to make something to mount the h60 on 

If your issue is literally just mounting, a shoebox is shockingly effective. They're soft enough not to damage anything but the lids are pretty rigid. Just cut a hole where you want the cooler and another one somewhere else. Probably tape the lid shut.

"Shashabooey" - Po

2 minutes ago, CloroxBleach57 said:

Water cooling fins are too tightly packed for that to be a real solution.

Okay, watercooler with some fans zip-tied to it and just have it sit straight up, that's the best and cheapest I suppose 😛 

8 minutes ago, WanderingFoe said:

Update.  I found a cooler master i30 cooler for about $15. Would that be sufficient for test bench for the i5 9600k?

Personally I would avoid that, if you're literally checking if the system boots you should be fine using the cooler with no fan on it actually. Any heat transferred into the loop will stay there if you don't have a fan, so you should definitely turn it off quickly. That said, the zip tie solution is another good one and it would allow you to run some benchmarks before building it.

"Shashabooey" - Po