Case for propriety Lenovo Mobo

DaveZap

Hey, I purchased a Lenovo M910T desktop PC a couple years back. It has been a good general purpose desktop PC but I need MORE (in the GPU department). So am wanting to transplant it to a new case. Reason for the new case is I need a new PSU to support a new RTX card. Existing case has less then 250mm in the case and hard drive bays fold down into some of that space restricting vertical height of any card.

As you can see from the picture the mobo is a sort of ATX form factor but I have a couple of worries relating to the front USB and Audio that are soldered direct to a part of the board that extends outside the ATX form factor.

1) Do you think this will fit MidTower ATX cases? If not what is this shape called ? What should I look for in a new case to fit this?

2) Any options to extent those USB's out? 

image.png.c3f060cd6825156c71de9b551fac71fa.png

you could extend these cables with regular usb cable extenders,as for the format it looks very close to micro atx(minus that extending part

so i would recommend you either take the board into your local pc shop and try a few different cases or get something that supports a bigger standard like atx

14 hours ago, DaveZap said:

Reason for the new case is I need a new PSU to support a new RTX card. Existing case has less then 250mm in the case and hard drive bays fold down into some of that space restricting vertical height of any card.

Likely this board with fit in most "ATX" cases and any case that supports E-ATX, but looking at your board, i dont see a 24 pin connector on it. So you probably wont be able to use this board simply because I dont know if you'll find a more powerful power supply that also has that 10 pin motherboard connector.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

14 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Likely this board with fit in most "ATX" cases and any case that supports E-ATX, but looking at your board, i dont see a 24 pin connector on it. So you probably wont be able to use this board simply because I dont know if you'll find a more powerful power supply that also has that 10 pin motherboard connector.

Yes, the power might be my biggest problem. 

I have a EVGA 600 GQ 600W psu that I'm hoping to wrangle in to that header.. unfortunately I've not given this much thought yet. 

Edit : Like this. https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved-Servers/dp/B06WV9Z9QT

Edited by DaveZap
added link

Sorry I'm being a bit vague. Rather then waiting for all the good advice above I just went ahead and purchased the components :) under the assumption.  I've left two links below with some really good information for others who find themselves in the same situation. 

I did look at that case @jonnyGURU but was worried about dust :) So I went with the Phanteks Eclipse P400S White Silent Edition. Cheap enough and is wide open. Problem I was having is most (low priced) mid-tower cases fit ATX but have drive-bays (that cannot be removed) or other features that might not accommodate the little extension in the MB (picture in original post). Vertically the MB is only 240mm (Micro-ATX) but by the time you add a m.2 drive hanging over the edge you end up with a full ATX.

The next issue is the mobo power. It has what looks like a standard 4 pin CPU power, the other connector is 10 pins so I have purchased this adaptor and will see how it goes. 

https://www.moddiy.com/products/IBM-Lenovo-PSU-Main-Power-24-Pin-to-10-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

The front usb and audio is a secondary issue. I'll need to find some weird adapters for that.

I'll post back here if it fails completely or not.

Lenovo forum links. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/How-to-upgrade-M910t/td-p/4462605

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Desktop-Towers/IdeaCentre-700-10-Pin-power-supply-PSU-connector-adapter/m-p/2217945

18 minutes ago, DaveZap said:

The next issue is the mobo power. It has what looks like a standard 4 pin CPU power, the other connector is 10 pins so I have purchased this adaptor and will see how it goes. 

You didn't say anything about replacing the PSU too.

If you were in the market for a PSU AND the adapter AND a case, I would say throw the Lenovo board in the trash and buy a new motherboard.

This doesn't make any sense to me from an upgrade patch point of view.

? In my first post "Reason for the new case is I need a new PSU to support a new RTX card"

But yes, it's true the only thing I am not be replacing is the motherboard & cpu.  The current machine  - Core i7-7700 - is fast enough for now. 

It makes sense to me from a money saving point of view. If I sold the machine as is and dreamed real hard I might get NZ$800 for it, that's not really enough to get an i9 as an upgrade even without the motherboard. I actually would not even know whats good in AMD department TBH.

Interested to hear your thoughts though, I agree I'm almost building a complete new machine here and it is a bit silly.