movies that makes you go: "I'm too smart for this"

zassou

is there any movies that's so bad at dialogue, setting or general story telling? so bad that question yourself either you're too smart for its target audience, or it's just really bad.

that movie is aquaman. i can't finish it without this sentence constantly popping up in my head.

Spoiler

it's so stupid that makes captain marvel feels like the dark knight. believe me when im saying this, i do enjoy marvel movies.

i can understand the joy of turning off your head and have some fun time with a silly movie. movies that are silly in a good way, jumanji is not a good movie by any measure, but it's silly fun.

not everyone have the artistry brain cells to comprehend new wave french or obscure iranian films, but sometimes there're limits.

without spoiling, the writing on aquaman's first half (tbh my patience only goes so far) feels like 4th grader's classroom project.

"she's a powerful atlantean and fell in love with a landlubber", "and she's hunted by bad people who wants her back but killed her anyway"

"you're the prince, you gotta take the throne", "no sis i love beer"

if i have to be honest, i dont watch a lot of movie, i dont consider myself a proper movie critic, but this is too much. much lower than my already very low bar of "turn off your head and enjoy starlord shooting at aliens" marvel movies's level.

there're people who truly enjoy those especially stupid movies, like the room. it's so stupid that it's good, because the sincerity. people make their best effort to produce a good film, failed, but they tried anyway.

aquaman is not on the level of sincerity of the room. grab some film students, give them a month, they could write better play than this.

the art design and special effect are top notch, but i would rather watch dr strange and guardians of galaxy vol 2 instead. benedict cucumber looks really smart when he's not playing a twat.

(the only redeeming part is when a bunch duck dynasty white trash looking dudes approaching the protagonist, seemingly trying to start a bar fight.

....instead, the guy pulls out a pink phone and ask for a group selfie)

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

inb4 rant of my "Media List"

99% of all Hollywood Garbage the last 20 Years.

70´s and 80´s, early 90´s . Thats when good Movies were made.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

39 minutes ago, Praesi said:

99% of all Hollywood Garbage the last 20 Years.

70´s and 80´s, early 90´s . Thats when good Movies were made.

Redemption can be had if Dune (2020) is done well. Some say it's to be an epic. Me? I say it better be of shakespearean acting or bust.

Most of them. 

It would seem writing is at the bottom end kid the food chain in Hollywood. 

The joke used to be "what do you call a writer that can't write? A journalist". Well, I guess now that journalists got replaced by interns reading twitter, would-be writer found a new home :P

Of course, there are good scripts out there, but when you see such high budget movies using bottom-of-the-barrel writing, you just know it's not a matter of affording quality... If the visual effects matched the scripts, they would all look like Ed Wood's movies... 

Is worth noting that it's not a matter of getting philosophical or being more action-oriented, but of carrying out whatever the intent was with some quality. You may be watching zombie nazis vs killer space clowns, but you still don't want a bad script to pull you out of the movie and make you think "this must have been made during the writers' guild strike" 😛

That movie for me Zassou, is Van Helsing from 2004. It was more about the special effects, but I've definitely felt that way in movies with bad scripts.

Another was "Sorry to Bother You," which actually wasn't terrible until it took a turn for the worse... Spoiler Alert...

google "Horse People Movie" if you can't remember the name of the movie, which is how I always find the name when I can't remember it.

Slasher films where the characters do the dumbest things.

Rom-coms

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.