Zoom buys identity service Keybase as part of security push

TempestCatto

The Keybase team is supposed to help Zoom build end-to-end encryption for its videoconferences “that can reach current Zoom scalability.” Zoom has been working on building true end-to-end encryption for videoconferences since coming under criticism over the last month for making its calls incorrectly appear to be fully encrypted. The company plans to publish encryption designs on May 22nd, but there’s no specific timeline for when the feature will be finished.

Was it really cheaper to BUY a company rather than just pay them to do this? Guess it was that bad, huh.

Keybase launched in 2014 as a directory for public encryption keys and has since grown to include secure messaging and file-sharing features. Keybase profiles are meant to serve as the center of your online identity: Keybase verifies you, and it verifies that you actually own other online accounts that belong to you. From there, people can visit your Keybase profile and feel confident that any account claimed is an authentic one. Usually, these profiles include encryption keys that can be used to securely contact a person.

Well I'm not quite sure how they intend to integrate this into Zoom, but I'm sure it will make video calling your grandparents a no-go. (or just use Skype)

Alfredo Sauce: https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21250418/zoom-keybase-acquisition-encryption-security-messages-services?fbclid=IwAR1c2O7n_04abIGmP_HmDyvbhdDyCoudpsDzov5HFg6LWczvPk-kOjmatA8

Not sure if this is a way to save face, or whatever face they have left, but I'm guessing it's cheaper for them in the long run, especially if they want to release other products in the future.

Better late than never, but a good step forward nonetheless.

It's still hilarious to me that everyone jumped on some relatively obscure platform like Zoom rather than using something from a larger brand that people are actually familiar with.