Motherboard USB Ports Intermittent Issues

Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Is there a BIOS update for your board? 

Z97 Maximus Formula VII

I've noticed lately (past ~ 6 months) that the USB ports on my motherboard will fail to recognize peripherals, such as headphones or mice and keyboards. I'll plug in the desired peripheral and there will be zero acknowledgement from Windows that I've done so. I'll try a different port and voila, success! The ports that don't work seem to be random as well, since one port won't work one day but then will a few days later. It's like a game of chance; I never know which port will work from day to day and even my front I/O will act up in the same way. Sometimes ALL ports will work just fine. It's increasingly frustrating especially if I'm in a hurry. Any ideas?

Things I've tried:

- Updated motherboard drivers (no update since like 2015 sadly)

- Checked device manager for issues under USB (none found)

- Combed the BIOS for anything related to USB (didn't find anything except to power them on during POST)

Other info about my system if it's relevant:

- Win10 x64

- Intel/Nvidia based system

- Bought mobo new in 2014

- Zero components overclocked; everything is stock speed/voltage 

Thanks for any insight!

5 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

That and make sure that the cables are seated correctly and that no pins are bent 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 hours ago, Aniallation said:

There is actually, I'm several versions behind the most recent. I've heard horror stories of PCs getting bricked after a flashed BIOS, and I've personally never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to do it. But I suppose if my solution lies in that update, I guess I won't have a choice. I'll update this weekend and respond to the thread with my findings. Thanks.

4 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

That and make sure that the cables are seated correctly and that no pins are bent 

Pins are solid and cables secured. I'll try the BIOS update and hope I don't botch it. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

There is actually, I'm several versions behind the most recent. I've heard horror stories of PCs getting bricked after a flashed BIOS, and I've personally never done one before so I'm a little hesitant to do it. But I suppose if my solution lies in that update, I guess I won't have a choice. I'll update this weekend and respond to the thread with my findings. Thanks.

Pins are solid and cables secured. I'll try the BIOS update and hope I don't botch it. Thanks.

Good luck :)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 5/9/2020 at 5:52 AM, TofuHaroto said:

Good luck :)

Updated...finally...and so far the problem has not returned. It's only been 48 hours so I the true test will be for how long, but for now I guess it was just an update. Go figure. Thanks.