Downdraft vs Tower for dust accumulation

Sukhoikip

I've finally convinced my family to replace their AM3 Athlon box from 2009 with a custom PC when Renoir comes to desktops. However, they're risk adverse enough to be unwilling to open a side panel to dust with any regularity.

Which is type of cooler is better about accumulating dust? Performance is largely irrelevant, its sole function will be running a web browser and streaming music, so it'd be pretty much down to the stock cooler or a cheap tower like a Hyper 212.

Hyper212 with a fan profile that shuts off at idle temps, 35c is a good shutoff temp.  The same with case fans, you should only need 1 if it's not a gaming PC then the PSU in the right location can do that job.  You also want the PSU fan to shutoff during idle.

CPU coolers aren't a factor with dust. The case has much bigger role, and if you are upgrading from very old system, I recommend looking into modern case too. Even most cheaper ones have filtered bottom and front, and most other vents have some sort of filters too. Also with modern case you have decent to good airflow when case is closed which by itself limits dust.

Cleaning-wise tower is better than downdraft, though if you let them sit too long without cleaning, both will get dusty enough needing proper cleaning with either cloth or taking them off and washing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv