How Would I Change what Jack My Internet Goes To?

wojoxx98

Hey Guys,

First off, I know nothing about networking, so apologies if I use any terms incorrectly. We have phone jacks all over our house, but it seems we only have one that has internet going to it. We'd like to change the jack that has internet so we can move our modem, but I have no clue how. This picture is how our phone jacks are connected. The grey cable seems to be the line coming from the outside, and the blue ones each go to an individual phone jack. The blue cables are all labeled as to where they go. If I was to remove the tape from the cable that has the internet going to it, would I find an extra wire hooked up to it? If so, would I just need to move it to the corresponding wire on the cable I want to have internet going to? If this isn't the case, what should/could I do? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cable_Connections.thumb.jpg.4064f41b3f2f83ab3e5221582d2560f4.jpg

Those are all ethernet cables? I mean, you called them phone jacks but I think you might be confusing them with ethernet jacks. If I'm seeing right, the cables are all hooked up together so there'd be no problem in just changing the modem from one port to another, they should all have internet. Anyway is a very odd configuration, you should have a switch there instead of having all cables just taped together.

I used to do electrical labouring work in Auckland, running cables and AV/telco work. Almost all houses in that city have what you have in that picture, more cable and wires than what is actually being used and it looks really messy. My recommendation is identify and tape/label the cable with internet. Then take a pair of wires at the place you want internet and short them, note the colour. test with a multimeter back at where your internet is then connect there. I hope that makes sense.

@Juanmacaam no, these are all phone lines. Our house was built around 2005 so we have no lines that specifically carry internet signal, so our internet shares a phone line. From the wall there is a phone/DSL splitter, which plugs into the modem. The cable that goes from the splitter to the modem is the square phone jack size, not the more rectangular ethernet size. I've tried plugging in our modem to every jack that I know it wired up, as there are some that are there but have never been connected, but none of them seem to carry any internet except the one it is currently connected to. 

10 minutes ago, wojoxx98 said:

@Juanmacaam no, these are all phone lines. Our house was built around 2005 so we have no lines that specifically carry internet signal, so our internet shares a phone line. From the wall there is a phone/DSL splitter, which plugs into the modem. The cable that goes from the splitter to the modem is the square phone jack size, not the more rectangular ethernet size. I've tried plugging in our modem to every jack that I know it wired up, as there are some that are there but have never been connected, but none of them seem to carry any internet except the one it is currently connected to. 

Oh, then I don't know how to help you, I'm very sorry! I hope you can solve it with some help from the forums 🙂

Thats called star wire, you are best to get someone who knows eletrical / comms and terminate them on a patch pannel. It will improve the speed and reliabailty of the internet.

Can i share your photo to https://whirlpool.net.au

Also, if you only use one phone socket then making sure only the one you plug the modem into is wired up could dramatically improve your broadband speed.  DSL does not like star wiring, it causes the signal reflect down every extra wire.

The ideal setup would be to have the modem/router where all those wired are and plug the phone line straight into the modem, run ethernet to where you want it and have all the other phone sockets coming off the filter, but you'd probably need to pay an electrician to do that if you aren't comfortable with networking.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7