Need help with Home Theater/Gaming Setup/Console Setup pls help

Jam1291

Hi, I am trying to construct a home theater/Console/gaming setup. I am gonna buy a monitor and speakers. The problem is connecting the Console (PS2, Wii, and  2 Laptops). I am trying to connect all of these to one monitor and I don't know what to get to split and control the signals. I am fairly tech savvy but don't know a lot about monitor and console stuff. I need to know what ports my monitor should have, what extra stuff (output switcher, cables) and other stuff I need. I want to know what to buy and if its possible. The problem, to reiterate, is what I will need to connect all the stuff (PS2, Wii, and 2 Laptops) to monitor and switch between them freely. Feel free to ask for more details! Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

There are some monitors that have 4 in lets you have to google

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

LG 43" UD79 for example

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

An AV receiver might be a good choice, especially given you have some stuff with old outputs you need to connect. No monitor has composite connections nowadays.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Get an AVR. Way simpler than trying to deal with a bunch of extraneous cables and converters. If you only have the PS2 on composite and a Wii (They have HDMI right?) and some laptops to plug in, even a simple stereo AVR should have 4 HDMI connections and a composite.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 5/5/2020 at 9:27 PM, JZStudios said:

Get an AVR. Way simpler than trying to deal with a bunch of extraneous cables and converters. If you only have the PS2 on composite and a Wii (They have HDMI right?) and some laptops to plug in, even a simple stereo AVR should have 4 HDMI connections and a composite.

What about a KVM switcher??

9 minutes ago, Jam1291 said:

What about a KVM switcher??

I have no experience with them. But a ~$200 AVR new or used will give you access to better speakers and handle all of the inputs.

#Muricaparrotgang

27 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I have no experience with them. But a ~$200 AVR new or used will give you access to better speakers and handle all of the inputs.

Hey dont mean to make you write a long description, but what are the differeneces? Thanks so much in advance!!

1 hour ago, Jam1291 said:

Hey dont mean to make you write a long description, but what are the differeneces? Thanks so much in advance!!

I have no experience with them. Literally none. I couldn't tell you anything you couldn't find from Google. I just know that my buddy has a bunch of consoles hooked up to his AVR. I have the same model, but I primarily only use my PC and very occasionally a PS4. Personally I really like my Yamaha AVR. It has really good software in it and a bunch of really nice features. It also allows each input to be renamed or skipped, and you can set up "favorites" for quick switching and "scene" selections. He has a Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, his work laptop, PS2, PS1, and original Xbox hooked up to it and all he has to do is press a button on the remote. His limiting factor is that it only has 2 composite inputs, so he has one open to hot swap, but you don't need more than 1 composite input.

The only thing I vaguely know about KVM switchers is that they're intended to be used to sync a single mouse and keyboard to multiple computers, of which I don't think you need.

#Muricaparrotgang

51 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I have no experience with them. Literally none. I couldn't tell you anything you couldn't find from Google. I just know that my buddy has a bunch of consoles hooked up to his AVR. I have the same model, but I primarily only use my PC and very occasionally a PS4. Personally I really like my Yamaha AVR. It has really good software in it and a bunch of really nice features. It also allows each input to be renamed or skipped, and you can set up "favorites" for quick switching and "scene" selections. He has a Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, his work laptop, PS2, PS1, and original Xbox hooked up to it and all he has to do is press a button on the remote. His limiting factor is that it only has 2 composite inputs, so he has one open to hot swap, but you don't need more than 1 composite input.

The only thing I vaguely know about KVM switchers is that they're intended to be used to sync a single mouse and keyboard to multiple computers, of which I don't think you need.

thanks! This clears some things up!

18 hours ago, Jam1291 said:

thanks! This clears some things up!

Yup, my Sony AVR has an HDMI port labeled game in on it too.

I've not used it though because I haven't had a console in a while.

I wish they made an AVR with like 10 HDMI  in ports on it.  

That would make life easy. 😄

4 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

Yup, my Sony AVR has an HDMI port labeled game in on it too.

I've not used it though because I haven't had a console in a while.

I wish they made an AVR with like 10 HDMI  in ports on it.  

That would make life easy. 😄

theres some out there with crazy amount of hdmi ins...you just dont want to know how much they cost lol

1 minute ago, circeseye said:

theres some out there with crazy amount of hdmi ins...you just dont want to know how much they cost lol

Oh I believe you. 😁