2070s or 2080s on 650w psu

Hi everyone!
First of all thanks for letting me join the group..
I have a bit of a dilemma.. 🤔
I had a i7 3770 with a GTX 1070 and a CX650M PSU.
Really worked well but I had to upgrade the processor as it was struggling a little, I went with a MSI B450 tomahawk max and new 3200mhz Corsair lpx ram (16gb) and a R5 2600x. I know the cpu maybe a little weak but at least I can upgrade it in the future when I can afford to.

I sold my old pc bits and bought a Rx 5700 xt 😬 as it sounded like a good idea at the time and had nothing but issues. Black screen and red light on my motherboard so I send it back. In the meantime I sold my old GTX 1070 (MSI armour)

I am awaiting my refund and decided I want to go back to Nvidia but I'm torn between buying the RTX 2070 super or the extra for the 2080 super.🤔

I always like playing on 1440p on the highest settings I can, my 1070 did do very well I have a 75hz monitor and for the most part I was getting above 60fps when the Rx 5700 xt worked I was very happy with it's performance.

I am a little worried about my PSU tho.. I know the recommended is 650w for the 2080s and that's what I have but I don't know what's best to buy as I really can't afford a 2080s and a new PSU so do I..

Buy the 2080s and 650w will be fine or do I go with the 2070s and I'm prety sure my PSU is ok?

I'm trying to get the maximum time out of my pc as it's took a lot to be able to upgrade it so don't think I'll be upgrading for a long while, maybe a better CPU in the future when the current 3000 series comes down in price a bit.

Thanks for any advice I really appreciate it. I've watched several yt videos on the cards and apparently the 2080s is only about 10% faster but I'm guessing that it will be more future proof 🙏🤔

The 2070 and the 2080 are very similar but the 2080 does outperform a 2070. You dont need a higher psu then a 650w. I had an rtx 2080 super with and i9-9900k run on a 650w just fine. Right now I have a radeon vii with an i5-9400f run downstairs with a 650w power supply and its just fine. My recommendation would be, if you want a more budget gpu then buy a 2070 but if you want more power with extra money to throw around then go with a 2080. I personally recommend the 2080 because of its performance but if its too much to spend just go with a 2070 it wont hurt you since that gpu is also insane in performance.

1 minute ago, Pauleft said:

The 2070 and the 2080 are very similar but the 2080 does outperform a 2070. You dont need a higher psu then a 650w. I had an rtx 2080 super with and i9-9900k run on a 650w just fine. Right now I have a radeon vii with an i5-9400f run downstairs with a 650w power supply and its just fine. My recommendation would be, if you want a more budget gpu then buy a 2070 but if you want more power with extra money to throw around then go with a 2080. I personally recommend the 2080 because of its performance but if its too much to spend just go with a 2070 it wont hurt you since that gpu is also insane in performance.

Thanks so much for the advise I really appreciate it!

I do have enough just about for the 2080s but it was the power that worried me...

I want to get as many years as I can without having to upgrade again..

The cpu I will change within 12 months :)

keep your psu. go for 2070 super. keep the money for a cpu upgrade when ryzen 4000 series drops.

11 minutes ago, m6ceb said:

Thanks so much for the advise I really appreciate it!

I do have enough just about for the 2080s but it was the power that worried me...

I want to get as many years as I can without having to upgrade again..

The cpu I will change within 12 months :)

Yeah man trust me a 650w psu does just fine for most things

9 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

keep your psu. go for 2070 super. keep the money for a cpu upgrade when ryzen 4000 series drops.

Thats also not a bad idea if you are looking for a cpu upgrade. 

13 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Thanks a lot buddy. I'm really torn as if my PSU will be ok for the 2080s I'm very tempted to just get the best I possibly can. I've heard the next gen cards are going to be released soon...

3 minutes ago, Pauleft said:

Yeah man trust me a 650w psu does just fine for most things

Thats also not a bad idea if you are looking for a cpu upgrade. 

I don't mind waiting for the cpu as it's a lot easier to find that money than GPU money :)

1 minute ago, m6ceb said:

Thanks a lot buddy. I'm really torn as if my PSU will be ok for the 2080s I'm very tempted to just get the best I possibly can. I've heard the next gen cards are going to be released soon...

I don't mind waiting for the cpu as it's a lot easier to find that money than GPU money :)

650W are enough for a 3950x and a 2080ti fully overclocked system. you are building a pc, not an electric car.

best value is 2070s, and its only 10-15% weaker then rtx 2080s but way less expensive