Is it normal for a laptop CPU average temperature 92°C while gaming?

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

A Maximum processor state setting of 99% will disable Intel Turbo Boost. This will leave a 9750H running at a maximum speed of 2.60 GHz. It is perfectly safe to run a CPU at far below its rated speed. Many games depend more on GPU speed and not so much on CPU speed. For those kind of games, you may not notice any significant loss of performance.

56 minutes ago, Theakshay said:

My previous temperature were constantly 92°C+

Temperatures of 75°C, 80°C, 90°C and even 95°C are all perfectly safe operating temperatures for an Intel Core i CPU. That is why Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C. If any of these temperatures were not safe, Intel could easily lower the thermal throttling temperature.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191045/intel-core-i7-9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Most laptop manufacturers are using a value called PROCHOT Offset. This will force the CPU to start thermal throttling before it reaches the Intel 100°C spec. No real need to do this but it does provide an additional safety margin.

I've Acer Predator Helios 300 and while playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, the cpu temperature was constant 92°C. While the GPU was below 85°C.

Is that normal for this laptop?

For other games too like GTA V, Watch Dogs 2, Forza Horizon 4, the cpu always stays above 90°C.

The specs are: 

i7 9750H, GTX 1660 Ti, 16 GB single channel RAM.

Yeah laptops usually throttle because they don't have lots of cooling.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Mythic Scythe said:

What is it on when you play it because sometimes it can overheat when it is on soft places. EG: A pillow - bad. Wooden table - good 

On a glass table top

From the Processor Power Management section in Power Options, I reduced the Maximum Processor State from 100% to 99%.

It actually seems to work good. My previous temperature were constantly 92°C+, but after this, the average was 78°C and peak at 85°C.

I just want to know that is it safe to run it at this setting or we should always keep it at 100%?

A Maximum processor state setting of 99% will disable Intel Turbo Boost. This will leave a 9750H running at a maximum speed of 2.60 GHz. It is perfectly safe to run a CPU at far below its rated speed. Many games depend more on GPU speed and not so much on CPU speed. For those kind of games, you may not notice any significant loss of performance.

56 minutes ago, Theakshay said:

My previous temperature were constantly 92°C+

Temperatures of 75°C, 80°C, 90°C and even 95°C are all perfectly safe operating temperatures for an Intel Core i CPU. That is why Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C. If any of these temperatures were not safe, Intel could easily lower the thermal throttling temperature.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191045/intel-core-i7-9750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Most laptop manufacturers are using a value called PROCHOT Offset. This will force the CPU to start thermal throttling before it reaches the Intel 100°C spec. No real need to do this but it does provide an additional safety margin.

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2020 at 6:01 AM, Mythic Scythe said:

What is it on when you play it because sometimes it can overheat when it is on soft places. EG: A pillow - bad. Wooden table - good 

Actually, a wooden table isn't good, wood = heat conductor. heat conductor + laptop = hotter temps. i recommend a cooling stand if you have enough space for one.