Overheating Laptop While Charging!

Go to solution Solved by EChondo,

How are the fans operating on battery vs. on AC power? Do you notice the fans increasing in speed on AC power?

What are the idle clock speeds on battery vs. AC power? Even though its idling, once you plug in AC power, the laptop may enable a higher processor minimum.

You can kind of check this through Windows via the Power & Sleep settings. Go to Power & Sleep settings via the search bar. Then on the right side, click on Additional Power Settings. Then "Change advanced power settings". And look for "Processor power management".

Mine looks like this;

rundll32_I2llOuBCTH.png.74f3f08edc6f860eaee655109f3a779b.png

So, minimum on battery, the processor will run at 5%, but when it's plugged in, it'll run at minimum at 99%(or whatever you set it too).

I would check this on yours and see if you can change this manually OR you may need to choose a different Power Plan in Windows.

In my "Power Saver" plan, the minimums are both 5%;

rundll32_UEx6HGPF9p.png.e977fd32b9dcc70541b4ae26188a5f00.png

Yours may be set to 100% when plugged in for minimum processor state. This could be causing your laptop to idle at a higher clock speed, which will start warming up the laptop until it reaches a point where it'll throttle itself down due to the heat(60c-70c like you indicated).

I have a Asus Vivobook X512FL laptop with this weird issue. While charging and the high perfomance mode while charging, it touches 60C-70C while basically doing nothing. I use this laptop mainly for my engineering studies and i deal with programming on this laptop. When the system is idling, the cpu still manages to touch 60C or sometimes above while charging. But, this issue is non existent when the laptop is running on battery power. I always open up the laptop for cleaning the fans of dust and the heatsink fins but never removed the heatsink.

Specs:-

Intel Core i7 8565U

16GB DDR4 ram

512GB NVMe SSD and 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD

NVidia Geforce MX250 2GB graphics.

While basically doing nothing and on charge, the CPU manages to touch 60C while in some cases the CPU reaches 67C-70C. I have tried using cooling pads also but its of no use. This issue in not there on battery power. As soon as i connect the AC adapter for charging, the CPU reaches 60C while doing nothing. Sometimes it would go above that. So, what is causing this issue as i have tried everything. A fresh windows install. Cleaning the laptop fans and heatsink. But, it seems to be useless

maybe your thermal paste is already crippled, try repasting it

How are the fans operating on battery vs. on AC power? Do you notice the fans increasing in speed on AC power?

What are the idle clock speeds on battery vs. AC power? Even though its idling, once you plug in AC power, the laptop may enable a higher processor minimum.

You can kind of check this through Windows via the Power & Sleep settings. Go to Power & Sleep settings via the search bar. Then on the right side, click on Additional Power Settings. Then "Change advanced power settings". And look for "Processor power management".

Mine looks like this;

So, minimum on battery, the processor will run at 5%, but when it's plugged in, it'll run at minimum at 99%(or whatever you set it too).

I would check this on yours and see if you can change this manually OR you may need to choose a different Power Plan in Windows.

Yours may be set to 100% when plugged in for minimum processor state. This could be causing your laptop to idle at a higher clock speed, which will start warming up the laptop until it reaches a point where it'll throttle itself down due to the heat(60c-70c like you indicated).

On 5/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, CRWND_12 said:

maybe your thermal paste is already crippled, try repasting it

Tried it but its of no use same problem then it was windows screwing things up

On 5/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, EChondo said:

Mine looks like this;

I did not try this until now. I unplugged my laptop from the AC adapter and opened task manager and resource monitor. It was this services and control application screwing things. On battery power this thing would consume 5 to 10% of my cpu but the heating would not be there. However, as soon as i plug my laptop to AC power, this service would consume almost 20 to 40% of my cpu thus causing this overheating. I then narrowed it down to MySQL causing this problem and as soon as i uninstalled MySQL, the laptop overheating stopped completely. But, then it is still very very inconvenient for me as i had to use MySQL and show my teacher this assignment she had given to show linking of MySQL database to Python. So, yeah. Uninstalled the MySQL service and then my laptop overheating stopped completely. 

Mine looks like this;

And yes. my cpu turbos to the advertised 4.6GHz and it remains perfectly cool staying under 50C all times after the service uninstall. Before this, the CPU would touch 60C to 70C sometimes 80C while doing nothing. But, now the laptop is cool and doesnt heat up during charging. It was i guess windows service scheduler that was causing all this

• 1 year later...

Mine looks like this;

Is such a thing possible in ubuntu linux?