GameMaker Studio free for limited time

Note that this is Standard Edition that's free now, not just the studio.

Not sure if anyone is into making games but I saw this on NeoGAF:

http://gamemakerblog.com/2014/02/22/gamemaker-studio-standard-edition-is-free-for-a-limited-time-50-value/

I have mixed feelings about Gamemaker, but it is what got me into programming and computers in general. I started way back with 5.0 when I was like 12 years old, and never really made anything of note but got introduced to programming and I've never looked back since then. When YoYoGames bought them around version 7, it exploded and got some really great games out of it, but now it's kind of gotten bloated as they've attempted to expand into different markets. I haven't used it since 7 but it's an incredibly robust system if you're willing to tinker, complete with linking to .dlls if you need to use another language, and you can make some very intricate games if you have the know-how. And if you're new or don't even know programming you can get a simple game up quickly with it's drag and drop system. It's pretty flexible.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put this out there, considering how having a simple engine like this to make games got me into computers and programming and who knows, someone may be similarly inspired here. Again, I think YoYoGames has kind of turned it into a big, bloated system as they try to make it big and professional, and the formerly close and cooperative community is all but gone because of it, but it's still really good software.

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

Studio is always free, I used to use it in school. Not the best program but it's okay.

Oops, thanks, I mean the Standard Edition. Instead of $50, it's free, and you can upgrade to Professional for $35 instead of $100. Standard edition is much more expanded than the limited free version. You get a lot more of the Gamemaker Language to use among many other things. Basically, it's actually usable unlike the free version.

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

Yay, im not gonan learn now but during summer break, half life 3- a brownninja game.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Great find!  I'm gonna download this now, even though I probably won't mess around with it for some time.