2666 RAM and Ryzen 3600

Hi guys I'm just wondering if 2666 MHz RAM that is in my current build would work "okay" with Ryzen 3600 until I can afford to get the faster speed memory ?

currently on a i5 7400 z270 system

Thanks in advance ;)

It will. You're just lose about 5-8% performance 

Wait until you can afford at least 3200mhz. It's not that big of a jump, money wise. Don't buy something you'll have a hard time selling later on because noone will want to take it off your hands. It's a lose lose situation.

My OCD aside, it will work "okay", if you will. But I would never buy it.

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

Wait until you can afford at least 3200mhz. It's not that big of a jump, money wise. Don't buy something you'll have a hard time selling later on because noone will want to take it off your hands. It's a lose lose situation.

My OCD aside, it will work "okay", if you will. But I would never buy it.

i already have the 2666 ram which is why im asking the question 

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It will. You're just lose about 5-8% performance 

could i clock the RAM in to negate that drop ? 

You can probably reuse it and possible overclock it a bit too get some more out of it.

I don't see why not unless you want to include the old ram in your 7400 build to increase attractiveness for sale

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, PhoenixX18 said:

Yes, memory overclocking is recommended on Ryzen.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i already have the 2666 ram which is why im asking the question 

OH I'm sorry miss-read that. Yes, of course it will work! You're loosing between 5-10% of performance depending on the workload, but yes. It will work. 

I recommend getting 3200 or 3600mhz later on

1 minute ago, PhoenixX18 said:

You could try and reduce latency a bit (CL-xx) value, but most lower end sticks aren't even capable of running at their rated speeds most of the time.. It's worth a try. You don't be able to negate the drop though. Maybe reduce it by a slight margin. I wouldn't bother

1 minute ago, PhoenixX18 said:

You can certainly try. Load up Thaiphoon then key that info into Ryzen DRAM Calculator.

1 minute ago, SPARTAN VI said:

You can certainly try. Load up Thaiphoon then key that info into Ryzen DRAM Calculator.

He's talking for his current set of 2666 sticks, which are like.. 3 years old ddr4 modules. I doubt he'll be getting anything worthwhile out of them.

What are your current Memory Sticks?  Are they with tighter timings?  What is the chip's manufacturer? 

With little luck, You might be able to OC them to 3000-3200mhz cl16.. With the aid of Dram Calculator 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

He's talking for his current set of 2666 sticks, which are like.. 3 years old ddr4 modules. I doubt he'll be getting anything worthwhile out of them.

I know, which is why I said "try." It probably wont dramatically close the gap compared to a DDR4-3200 CL14 kit, but there's no harm in at least checking/trying it. 

Just now, SPARTAN VI said:

I know, which is why I said "try." It probably wont dramatically close the gap compared to a DDR4-3200 CL14 kit, but there's no harm in at least checking/trying it. 

I'm sorry, I must've miss-understood then. Speaking from experience, low and mid-range RAM won't really cooperate at all. What I'm saying is - it's not worth the hassle for those 2% of improvement you might get, if lucky. And you have to know what you're doing, can't just change a bunch of values and apply. RAM OC-ing isn't easy.. idk.. but sure, trying is always welcome, even if only for educational purposes.  

16 minutes ago, PhoenixX18 said:

You could manually set the infinity-fabric clock higher, which will give you lots of performance back.

Linus made a video about this, watch it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

my opinion:

Keep the 7400, Z270, and ram together to reuse in a second system for whatever. Use profits to buy fast ram.

OR

keep them together and sell them as a working combo kit. then buy some fast ram.

Either way, if you just pull the RAM from the old system, you either have a bunch of useless parts and slow memory.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

my opinion:

Keep the 7400, Z270, and ram together to reuse in a second system for whatever. Use profits to buy fast ram.

OR

keep them together and sell them as a working combo kit. then buy some fast ram.

Either way, if you just pull the RAM from the old system, you either have a bunch of useless parts and slow memory.

what i was looking at doing is to remove 2 of the 4 8GB (32GB total) sticks from the z270 and keep the z270 machine with 16GB for my kid (as with lockdown in the UK he has taken over the rig :( ) 

then I'm looking at building myself a machine with the 2 sticks I removed from the z270 system with a Gigabyte B450 board with a ryzen 3600X  , but with spending out for the MB / Processor / Case / PSU + GPU - I was hoping to save some money to start and then get some better speed memory later on. and then put the 2 sticks back in the z270 system.

what i was looking at doing is to remove 2 of the 4 8GB (32GB total) sticks from the z270 and keep the z270 machine with 16GB for my kid (as with lockdown in the UK he has taken over the rig :( ) 

then I'm looking at building myself a machine with the 2 sticks I removed from the z270 system with a Gigabyte B450 board with a ryzen 3600X  , but with spending out for the MB / Processor / Case / PSU + GPU - I was hoping to save some money to start and then get some better speed memory later on. and then put the 2 sticks back in the z270 system.

oh, that changes things. thought you only had 16, lol.

carry on