Looking for a 144hz IPS 1080P or 1440p is the question

OldManGaming
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,
5 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

I was thinking a 24 inch because the monitor I have replaced my 3 23 inch hp 23es monitors.   But tbh, I dont mind the look of 080p, but then I also never seen a 16:9 1440p to compare it to.

Here was my setup the day I connected the 3440x1440.  As you can see, I am heavily into immersive gameplay.  60hz for pvp however is slow.   I have a stand I can use to match monitor, but if I go for a 1440p which do you suggest?   I am thinking I want to try IPS.  I know I do not want TN under any condition, and the one I have is a VA atm.

Also I am only using the UW atm, I boxed up the 3 smaller ones and gave them to family.

There are so many 1440p displays out there, that it would be hard for me to recommend a specific one.

If you're going to get a 1440p display, make sure it has G-Sync supported Freesync or supports G-Sync natively.

If you want to know what it woulf be like to use a 2560x1440p display, simply select that resolution on your ultrawide. You'll have exactly that with massive bezels 😛

That way you can also check performance.

But if you don't mind a 24" 1080p panel, then get one of those if you're into competitive gaming. It can certainly give you the edge over other players.

(And will probably help you with your chat-reading abilities :)) 

Hey all, 

I have a bit of a troubling issue here.   2 years ago I replaced a 1080p 60hz monitor with an Acer Z35P 3440x1440.  It is an awesome monitor, 120hz, va panel.  My only issue is finding content in 21:9 and not all games support 21:9  

I have a GTX 1080 ti and I7 9700K.  I tested some of my games on my 4k TV and I can actually play them at a decent fps, Jedi Fallen Order I get about 80 fps maxed out at 3440x1440 21:9 and about 45 to 60 fps on 4k.  At max settings.

I am in love with great looking graphics, but I think the VA panel is making me wish I had IPS, because sometimes games and browsing feels washed out almost like a TN, and no amount of tweaking fixes it.

So my question is

Would I be happy with a 1080P 144hz/165hz IPS monitor or a 1440p 144hz monitor or a 4k 60hz monitor? Or just stop looking and deal with the 3440x1440?  Thanks!

Here is the game at 4k(using a budget Vizio tv)

and here is same game  at 3440x1440 both maxed out(this was on the i7 6700k, ive upgraded since this video to the i7 9700K)

As someone whose also rocking a 34" UWQHD I'd never go back to 1080p, no matter the refresh rate. 

27" 1440p is good but for 4k I'd go min 30". 

I'd say deal with the UW until something really worthwhile the upgrade shows up, like Oled or whatever. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I think what you should ask yourself is, what you're going to do with that perfectly fine 21:9 display that you have, if you buy a new monitor.

If it's just sitting around, then don't buy a new monitor.
If you can sell it for a good amount of money, then pick whatever you like the most and in that case I'd say get a nice 1440p display if you're looking for great graphics, but also playable framerates without upgrading your GPU in the near future. Any 4K display might require you to upgrade your GPU in the future and 1080p just doesn't look good anymore if you go with a larger than 24" display.

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

I think what you should ask yourself is, what you're going to do with that perfectly fine 21:9 display that you have, if you buy a new monitor.

If it's just sitting around, then don't buy a new monitor.
If you can sell it for a good amount of money, then pick whatever you like the most and in that case I'd say get a nice 1440p display if you're looking for great graphics, but also playable framerates without upgrading your GPU in the near future. Any 4K display might require you to upgrade your GPU in the future and 1080p just doesn't look good anymore if you go with a larger than 24" display.

Perfectly fine?  Hell, half the games I own refuse to support 21:9, which annoys me to no end.

I would use still keep the 21:9 for when I play RTS games, space sims like Elite Dangerous or racing games.   But games like Deadside and Fallout 76 just refuse toi support it prtoperly, alot of vertical cropping or oddly placed ui issues.  Also the reason I was thinking a high refresh rate 1080p would be so I could read chat when I stream, and then I could use it in competitive pvp games like fortnight, COD Warfare and Arma 3, where refresh rate would matter.   Because what I read is, a 1080ti isnt enough to max out raphics at 144hz at 1440p or am I wrong?  

Also the move from 1080p 60hz to 3440x1440 120hz wasnt as mind blowing as I was expecting it to be.   My budget vizio tv at 4k seems to have more awe factor, but imput lag sucks and the fps does take a heavy hit.

9 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

Perfectly fine?  Hell, half the games I own refuse to support 21:9, which annoys me to no end.

I would use still keep the 21:9 for when I play RTS games, space sims like Elite Dangerous or racing games.   But games like Deadside and Fallout 76 just refuse toi support it prtoperly, alot of vertical cropping or oddly placed ui issues.  Also the reason I was thinking a high refresh rate 1080p would be so I could read chat when I stream, and then I could use it in competitive pvp games like fortnight, COD Warfare and Arma 3, where refresh rate would matter.   Because what I read is, a 1080ti isnt enough to max out raphics at 144hz at 1440p or am I wrong?  

Also the move from 1080p 60hz to 3440x1440 120hz wasnt as mind blowing as I was expecting it to be.   My budget vizio tv at 4k seems to have more awe factor, but imput lag sucks and the fps does take a heavy hit.

Fallout 76 is a f*cking pile of... not so great game.Bethesda never managed to support 21:9 displays properly.

I own a 21:9 myself and rarely have any issues with games. It honestly surprised me that "A Plague Tale", which I recently played, doesn't support 21:9 natively.

Anyway. My GTX 1080 can push around 80FPS in CoD Modern Warfare at high settings on 3440x1440.
A 1080Ti should be able to push 120FPS I'd assume.

You really have to decide what you want at this point:
Pretty graphics or high refresh rates and responsiveness, cause I tell you, if you didn't like 3440x1440, then you'll hate full HD at anything higher than 24", no matter the refresh rate.

Fallout 76 is a f*cking pile of... not so great game.Bethesda never managed to support 21:9 displays properly.

I own a 21:9 myself and rarely have any issues with games. It honestly surprised me that "A Plague Tale", which I recently played, doesn't support 21:9 natively.

Anyway. My GTX 1080 can push around 80FPS in CoD Modern Warfare at high settings on 3440x1440.
A 1080Ti should be able to push 120FPS I'd assume.

You really have to decide what you want at this point:
Pretty graphics or high refresh rates and responsiveness, cause I tell you, if you didn't like 3440x1440, then you'll hate full HD at anything higher than 24", no matter the refresh rate.

Dont get me wrong I do ENJOY this monitor ALOT, just I feel it hinders me in pvp intensive games, and I am wondering, since this is my 1st monitor over 60hz, if a 1080p IPS 144hz would be a down grade as a 2nd monitor, or if I should go for a 1440p 144hz  monitor as a 2nd display to see chat and play competitive games .  Since it would be a 2nd monitor, I figured I could save a feww bucks by going for a 1080p 144hz over a 1440p 144hz

7 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

Dont get me wrong I do ENJOY this monitor ALOT, just I feel it hinders me in pvp intensive games, and I am wondering, since this is my 1st monitor over 60hz, if a 1080p IPS 144hz would be a down grade as a 2nd monitor, or if I should go for a 1440p 144hz  monitor as a 2nd display to see chat and play competitive games .  Since it would be a 2nd monitor, I figured I could save a feww bucks by going for a 1080p 144hz over a 1440p 144hz

I understand what you have in mind.

Before I got the ultrawide, I had a 27" Samsung 1080p 60hz display and back then, this was great because if the relatively large size for its time.

After I upgraded I gave it away to a friend.

Roughly one year later I was at his place trying to play Battlefield on that display and my first reaction was literally to ask him, whether he forgot to set the resolution to full HD or if something was wrong with his GPU. But no, it was simply the fact that 1080p at this size is so incredibly disgusting once you go 1440p that I couldn't believe it actually being Full HD. And since you probably want to get a 27" display rather than a 24" display, to match the hight of your existing 21:9, I recommend you to go with a 1440p display instead, unless you want to go with a smaller screen. Imo that would feel very much like a massive downgrade tho.

I understand what you have in mind.

Before I got the ultrawide, I had a 27" Samsung 1080p 60hz display and back then, this was great because if the relatively large size for its time.

After I upgraded I have it away to a friend.

Roughly one year later I was at his place trying to play Battlefield on that display and my first reaction was literally to ask him, whether he forgot to set the resolution to full HD or if something was wrong with his GPU. But no, it was simply the fact that 1080p at this size is so incredibly disgusting once you go 1440p that I couldn't believe it actually being Full HD. And since you probably want to get a 27" display rather than a 24" display, to match the hight of your existing 21:9, I recommend you to go with a 1440p display instead, unless you want to go with a smaller screen. Imo that would feel very much like a massive downgrade tho.

I was thinking a 24 inch because the monitor I have replaced my 3 23 inch hp 23es monitors.   But tbh, I dont mind the look of 080p, but then I also never seen a 16:9 1440p to compare it to.

Here was my setup the day I connected the 3440x1440.  As you can see, I am heavily into immersive gameplay.  60hz for pvp however is slow.   I have a stand I can use to match monitor, but if I go for a 1440p which do you suggest?   I am thinking I want to try IPS.  I know I do not want TN under any condition, and the one I have is a VA atm.

Also I am only using the UW atm, I boxed up the 3 smaller ones and gave them to family.

A2F8BE7CE1F6146ED61E5791975411F28EABC553

One other thought, How does 1440 P look on a 4k monitor?  That could be an option, 1440p for heavy graphic games and up it to 4k on not so rough games?  or am I thinking outside the realm of proper looking graphics?  Thanks and sorry, I am a bit newb to resolutions and what not.

5 minutes ago, OldManGaming said:

There are so many 1440p displays out there, that it would be hard for me to recommend a specific one.

If you're going to get a 1440p display, make sure it has G-Sync supported Freesync or supports G-Sync natively.

If you want to know what it woulf be like to use a 2560x1440p display, simply select that resolution on your ultrawide. You'll have exactly that with massive bezels 😛

That way you can also check performance.

But if you don't mind a 24" 1080p panel, then get one of those if you're into competitive gaming. It can certainly give you the edge over other players.

(And will probably help you with your chat-reading abilities :))