Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to structure a servers viritual machines, docker containers, viritual disk images on hard drives and RAID?

Hey guys,

 

The last couple of days I’ve spent some time getting familiar with VirtualBox, Ubuntu etc since I’m setting up my first home server! I’ve successfully installed a couple of Ubuntu versions and started to use the terminal. I’m somewhat familiar with SSH / PuTTY and I can follow YT tutorials, but I’m a Linux n00b. First few days was painful, but im starting to like Linux:)

 

Server use cases:

  • NAS (FreeNAS?)
  • Plex Media server
  • NextCloud
  • LAMP / Web server to run a wordpress website.

 

This is mostly for testing, learning and setting up a simple home server. I would like to have a dedicated web server in the future.

 

OS & VM: Windows 10 + VirtualBox

Im currently running VirtualBox on Win10 (not activated yet). I haven’t testes out Hyper-V or VMWare yet, will probably do so in the future. Ubuntu 18 as VM.
 

Hard drives:

  • 128GB Samsung SSD being used for OS atm. (Bought used).
  • 128GB x2 Kingston SSDs arriving soon in the mail (bought used also), for OS. I’m thinking RAID1.
  • 500GB Maxtor
  • 500GB Toshiba
  • 200GB x2 WD
  • 1TB WD drive - temporary media drive while testing. It will be replaced with a 8-16TB HDDs in the near future. 
  • 1TB WD drive that’s in a working WD MyBook Live NAS that is was thinking to have as a separate physical NAS inside the computer case, using a Ethernet cable since I’m using up all 6 SATA ports on my motherboard (needs to be changed out in the future + a SATA expansions card or raid controller maybe?)

 

Some of the questions I have:

  • Should I use the spare 128GB Samsung SSD for NextCloud, and setup auto backup to one of the old 200GB WD drives?
  • Should I have a separate VM with Ubuntu for the NAS and Plex, or could both run in the same VM, in the same or two different Docker containers? 
  • Should I have all the VirtualBox machines on the OS SSD, and the NextCloud Virtual Disk Image on a separate SSD to not eat up the free space on the OS drive?
  • What should I have in mind when setting up FreeNAS to let both Plex and NextCloud use the same hard drives, or is it better to set them up in separate VMs with their own HDDs?
  • What HDD would you recommend for a NAS and Plex, someting like 10GB WD RED Pro or 16GB Seagate IronWolf Pro? I would start with one drive then add another of the same type for RAID1, then expand with more ini the future as needed.
  • How important is to have ECC RAM? I would be using it to beging with but Im consider upgrading it later on.
     

I’m hoping that somebody can send me in the right direction, so that I get the correct foundation / structure for the server. Thanks for all the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the specs of this machine? Plex is actually way more intense than it might first appear, since it often needs to transcode video files for them to be played. If the specs are up to it then yes FreeNAS can also host a Plex server instance. I'd also keep the VirtualBox machines on the same SSD as the host OS, just for ease and because it will significantly reduce latency on the VMs to keep them on SSD storage. If you're feeling paranoid you can also set them to be backed up to the NAS drives for redundancy. Other questions are probably better answered by others, since I know nothing about NextCloud.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

 

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

 

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

the specs

The plan was to use the CPU for some VMs/containers and the GPU for transcoding. I will be doing mostly 1080/4K direct streaming on local network, not transcoding outside the house, or 4K to mobile etc.
 
19 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

reduce latency

Okey. Right. Got it.

19 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

backed up to the NAS drives for redundancy

Ive lost data many years ago, its not an option. Im thinking to do both RAID and backup on external HDDs for the most important files. Thanks for the info:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Id probably make one big pool for the hdds, and one for the ssds. Then use ssds for the os and ssds for the vms. Makes it much easier to manage compared using all the drives separately

34 minutes ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Should I use the spare 128GB Samsung SSD for NextCloud, and setup auto backup to one of the old 200GB WD drives

Is thta a 200gb hdd. Id probalby just take it out, too small to bother.

 

How big do you want your nextcloud.

 

Id be tempted to put the ssds all in one big pool wit the vms on there, and put the hypervisor on those 200gb drives. Bootup is slow, but otherthan that the ssds are much better used for vms.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ssds for the os and ssds for the vms

Okey, I have 3 SSDs atm. How would you use them? One for OS (with or without RAID1?) and one SSD for all the VMs, if I understood you correctly? Or just one for OS and another for VMs and back both up to the NAS/hard drive(s) ?
 

 

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How big do you want your nextcloud

Im not sure yet becuase the data on the cloud (1TB WD MyBookLive NAS) is mixed today. Need to offload some files to the correct drives etc tidy up. The best would be to set the NextCloud .vdi on a seperate SSD, right? Then it would be one of the 128GB once I have today. Is it easy to upgrade and move the .vdi to a new SSD later?

 

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ssds all in one big pool wit the vms on there, and put the hypervisor on those 200gb drives

I didnt fully understand. I have the VirtualBox Machines and Viritual Disk Image on the SSDs today. By hypervisor, you mean VirtualBox, and why would it be benificial to install VirtualBox on the old 200GB WD?

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ssds all in one big pool

How could that be done, with FreeNAS? I havent gotten around to playing with it yet.

Since this is a temporary server that I would like to upgrade in the near future it should be easy to change out the SSDs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

How could that be done, with FreeNAS? I havent gotten around to playing with it yet.

Do it in windows, so use storage spaces to make the volume.

 

6 minutes ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

How could that be done, with FreeNAS? I havent gotten around to playing with it yet.

If you want to run this as a full server, id replace virtual box and windows, with something like proxmox or hyper-v. This will work fine for testing though.

 

6 minutes ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Im not sure yet becuase the data on the cloud (1TB WD MyBookLive NAS) is mixed today. Need to offload some files to the correct drives etc tidy up. The best would be to set the NextCloud .vdi on a seperate SSD, right? Then it would be one of the 128GB once I have today. Is it easy to upgrade and move the .vdi to a new SSD later?

 

Id plan about how much you want. I keep my nextcloud to files I may need on the go, all the files files I keep available from a smb/nfs share on the local network only.

 

7 minutes ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Okey, I have 3 SSDs atm. How would you use them? One for OS (with or without RAID1?) and one SSD for all the VMs, if I understood you correctly? Or just one for OS and another for VMs and back both up to the NAS/hard drive(s) ?

Id put then in one pool with storage spaces, maybe raid0, drives don't fail that often, and make backups every day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

fine for testing

These first days/week im tearing everyting down anad builing it up again several times to fail and learn.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

replace virtual box and windows, with something like proxmox or hyper-v

Thanks for the tip. I might end up using Hyper-V since I have a friend that can help me set it up the first time.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

nextcloud to files I may need on the go

Thats why I was think of using one of the 128 GB SSDs only for NextCloud, and maybe a small M.2 in the future if there is any benifits in upgrading for this purpose.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

one pool with storage spaces, maybe raid0

Okey, all the three SSDs in RADI0 could be interesting. What is "storage spaces"? And then create a dynaamically allocated vdi that for the NextCloud VM? Then everything will be on the same SSD pool though. I could back it up to the NAS drive(s) then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TechMeThatsSexy said:

key, all the three SSDs in RADI0 could be interesting. What is "storage spaces"? And then create a dynaamically allocated vdi that for the NextCloud VM? Then everything will be on the same SSD pool though. I could back it up to the NAS drive(s) then.

storage spaces is how windows does raid and volume management. You can make virutal disks, raid ssd cachine and do lots of fun things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

storage spaces

Do you mean disk managment in Windows where you can make partitions and format drives? (Havent used RAID before, but researched the different types of RAID).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Do you mean disk managment in Windows where you can make partitions and format drives? (Havent used RAID before, but researched the different types of RAID).

storage spaces is different than disk management and much more flexable, and newer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Install Ubuntu (18.04 or 19.04....I've been testing 20.04 and getting bugs)

Configure your drives in whatever array you want with MDADM or ZFS and mount them somewhere like /mnt/<name>

Install Docker (apt install docker) and Portainer (optional)

Put all your apps under docker, and map the app paths to your RAID 

 

e.g

docker create \
--name="apache" \
-p 80:80 -p 443:443 \
-v /mnt/docker/apache/config:/config \
-v /mnt/docker/apache/www:/www \
linuxserver/apache
docker create \
  --name=plex \
  --net=host \
  -e PUID=1000 \
  -e PGID=1000 \
  -e VERSION=docker \
  -e UMASK_SET=022 `#optional` \
  -e PLEX_CLAIM= `#optional` \
  -v /mnt/docker/plex/config:/config \
  -v /mnt/storage/tvseries:/tv \
  -v /mnt/storage/movies:/movies \
  --restart unless-stopped \
  linuxserver/plex

 

No need to RAID1 the OS drives if you use docker because you can just easily make a copy of your docker configs, and you can have all the appdata on your storage RAID. 

SSD's are pretty resilient these days so not really necessary to RAID the OS drives if theres no data on them, just reinstall on a replacement drive. If you do want to RAID1 them just use the onboard RAID configuration utility on your motherboard. 

 

 

8 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:
  • Should I use the spare 128GB Samsung SSD for NextCloud, and setup auto backup to one of the old 200GB WD drives?

 

8 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:
  • Should I have a separate VM with Ubuntu for the NAS and Plex, or could both run in the same VM, in the same or two different Docker containers? 

Like I recommended above, I would just docker everything, dont even need to run VM's then

8 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:
  • Should I have all the VirtualBox machines on the OS SSD, and the NextCloud Virtual Disk Image on a separate SSD to not eat up the free space on the OS drive?

I'd get away from using VirtualBox personally. If you really want to do VM's instead of just docker, then consider a hypervisor OS like Proxmox, which is built on Debian so you can use Ubuntu/Debian(esque) commands in its shell. Even better you can install Proxmox on Debian Buster, i've done this on a box. 

8 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:
  • What should I have in mind when setting up FreeNAS to let both Plex and NextCloud use the same hard drives, or is it better to set them up in separate VMs with their own HDDs?

Why are you adding FreeNAS into this If you arent just going to run FreeNAS baremetal, then you probably want to stick with Linux and run ZFS on Linux if thats what you want it for. Personally I am using FreeNAS in a VM, but this is to use it as a iSCSi target to create LUN's for my VMWare environment.

8 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:
  • What HDD would you recommend for a NAS and Plex, someting like 10GB WD RED Pro or 16GB Seagate IronWolf Pro? I would start with one drive then add another of the same type for RAID1, then expand with more ini the future as needed.

You cannot just add disks 1 by 1 to a single RAID with most software solutions. If you're looking at ZFS you need at least 2 disks to set up your RAID1 (if thats what you want) in whats called a VDEV (virtual device disk). This becomes part of your zpool (array). Then you can create another RAID1 which is another VDEV, and add that to your pool....

Probably your best configuration though so you aren't losing 50% of your disk space, is to consider RAIDZ-1 (RAID5)...so you're only losing 33% of the space. so perhaps you could get 3 x 6TB instead of 2 x 10TB. 

 

8 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:
  • How important is to have ECC RAM? I would be using it to beging with but Im consider upgrading it later on.

You need to consider this from the start, because both your CPU & Motherboard need to support it. It's not really a concern though. The chance of a bit flipping in memory with say 20TB of storage, is something like 1 bit in 3 years. 

 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 10 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

storage spaces

Okey thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Ubuntu

Ive been testing both but have 18.04 LTS

 

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

MDADM or ZFS

I saw a YT tut about MDADM but I dont know much about disk management in Linux yet, so ill have to learn that also over the next few days.

 

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

easily make a copy of your docker configs

Okey, great. That I can rather pool the other SSDs than RAID1 for OS.

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

onboard RAID configuration utility on your motherboard

The MD im using atm for testing is garbage:/ and needs to be changed out in the future, so I wont be setting up RAID1 for OS this time. Any tips for a used botherboard for this CPU for this first server and what you would use this components for when I build a bit better server later on? CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/52214/intel-core-i7-2600k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-80-ghz.html

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

just docker everything, dont even need to run VM's then

If I understood you correctly, you mean to install Linux baremetal and then Docker containers, skipping the whole VirtualBox?

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Proxmox on Debian Buster

Interesting. Ive researched Proxmox a bit. Ill look into it.

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Linux and run ZFS

Setting up my own NAS is new to me as well so im at the moment just tring out things and asking for help to find the right solution. Then ill consider ZFS instead f FreeNAS.

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

consider RAIDZ-1 (RAID5)...so you're only losing 33% of the space. so perhaps you could get 3 x 6TB instead of 2 x 10TB. 

Yeah, that would be better.

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

chance of a bit flipping

Thanks for confiming. ECC is not necessary for this build. I guess its more important if there is many users on the server / website.

 

Thanks a lot for all the great replies! Now I have my research list ready for next week:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Plex, would it be better to use UnRaid and begin with one larger drive.  Im really unsure If I should start with one 16TB drive or 3x6TB and what NAS setup to use.

 

  • I would like for the NAS to be flexible so that I could add different drives and sizes as I go along. (Can purchase all the drives at once).
  • Plex should access the media folders on the NAS.
  • Edit 4-6k video on the NAS. (Should add some SSD/M.2 then)
  • Backup of media, other external hard drives and computers on the NAS.
  • Other computer should access the NAS on the network to be able to copy out a file easily if needed.

Is there anything you would do different with a NAS or recommend?


Linus @16:00 - UnRaid benefits

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2020 at 5:52 PM, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Server use cases:

  • NAS (FreeNAS?)
  • Plex Media server
  • NextCloud
  • LAMP / Web server to run a wordpress website.

What CPU, motherboard and RAM (ECC) combination would you recommend for this use cases? $500-1000 for my second server after I want to build a more reliable server and permanent home server. 
 

Also, would you use windows with hyper-v etc og Linux or something other OS bare metal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2020 at 12:17 AM, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Regarding Plex, would it be better to use UnRaid and begin with one larger drive.  Im really unsure If I should start with one 16TB drive or 3x6TB and what NAS setup to use.

 

  • I would like for the NAS to be flexible so that I could add different drives and sizes as I go along. (Can purchase all the drives at once).
  • Plex should access the media folders on the NAS.
  • Edit 4-6k video on the NAS. (Should add some SSD/M.2 then)
  • Backup of media, other external hard drives and computers on the NAS.
  • Other computer should access the NAS on the network to be able to copy out a file easily if needed.

Is there anything you would do different with a NAS or recommend?


Linus @16:00 - UnRaid benefits

 

 

Plex can run on basically anything, so it doesnt matter for that what you use but if you're going to use UnRAID then use it baremetal for everything. 

Keep in mind that it keeps files contiguous so reading for editing, you're limited to the speed of a drive e.g ~150MB/s sustained concurrent. Not an issue if you have a gigabit network as your limiting factor is the network, but on a 10Gbit it would be noticeable. Unraid's biggest advantage is its flexibility, but thats also its biggest flaw (performance for high speed networks)

 

14 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

What CPU, motherboard and RAM (ECC) combination would you recommend for this use cases? $500-1000 for my second server after I want to build a more reliable server and permanent home server. 
 

Also, would you use windows with hyper-v etc og Linux or something other OS bare metal?

 

Personally I don't bother with ECC for my home NAS. Mine is just a Ryzen + X570 board + Vengeance LPX. 

If you want to go ECC, then to stay in budget you'd really have to go for an Intel as ECC support is mostly non existant outside of the Threadripper platform on AMD. There really is very little point though. You're typically more likely to have catastrophic disk failure, than bit flip in memory. The reason that it's recommended for FreeNAS so much is because of ARC (ram cache). ECC does nothing for files already stored on disk, it only affects inflight data. 

 

If you're going UnRAID that is an OS you'd use baremetal. Its absolutely pointless installing it as nested docker/virtualization. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 10 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Jarsky said:

gigabit network

Thansk for greate reply. have a fiber connection with around 100Mbps up/dows, a RT-AC3200 router, but need a switch since im starting to eat up all the eth ports on the router. Im look to buy (ussed) Linksys LGS116 (approx. $40) and / or NETGEAR GS108 (approx. $30). I am considering the 16 port Linksys becuase I would like to test the performance when using a 4 port eth from the Unraid server / NAS.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Jarsky said:

Ryzen

Im thinking of going Ryzen for the first time my next PC build and server upgrade.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Jarsky said:

X570 board

Nice, im looking at the "Asus Pro WS X570-ACE" would do you think about that board? Its do bad it dosent have another x1 PCI slot. I would like to have and or two more. Know of a PCI riser/splitter that turns a x8 or 16 into two x4 or 8 slots?

On 5/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Jarsky said:

LPX

I like LPX for my daily driver, could use it for the server aswell if im not going with ECC.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Jarsky said:

inflight data

 I would like to host a website or two on from the Unraid server at first. Regarding webserver/traffic, then it would be important to use ECC? (Eventually I would like to have a dedicated webserver).

On 5/3/2020 at 2:40 AM, Jarsky said:

baremetal

Im currencly running Unraid baremetal and experimenting with Docker containers and soon VMs there. (Tested VirtualBox on Windows before for VMs).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Thansk for greate reply. have a fiber connection with around 100Mbps up/dows, a RT-AC3200 router, but need a switch since im starting to eat up all the eth ports on the router. Im look to buy (ussed) Linksys LGS116 (approx. $40) and / or NETGEAR GS108 (approx. $30). I am considering the 16 port Linksys becuase I would like to test the performance when using a 4 port eth from the Unraid server / NAS.

I have a spare Netgear GS108, the ProSafe is a great range for home imo. Lots of functionality, reliable, and fairly cheap. 

What you're talking about is port bonding, you need to make sure that the switch and your network adapter support it. It will be called something like Link Aggregation, LACP, Port Bonding, Ether Channel, etc...typically the most widely supported quad nic cards for teaming, are the Intel based one. 

10 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Im thinking of going Ryzen for the first time my next PC build and server upgrade.

I really like Intel, but i've also gone Ryzen with a Ryzen 3950x and a Ryzen 2700x....both are fantastic for the price

10 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Nice, im looking at the "Asus Pro WS X570-ACE" would do you think about that board? Its do bad it dosent have another x1 PCI slot. I would like to have and or two more.

If you have a budget, I wouldn't bother with the X570 boards unless you have a need for the PCI-E Gen4 support.

There are B450 boards that can do Gen4 with a BIOS flash as well, but typically a B450 or X470 is far better value. 

As far as X570 boards its a nice one though. 

10 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

 

Know of a PCI riser/splitter that turns a x8 or 16 into two x4 or 8 slots?

You're talking about a bifurcation riser. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-Bifurcation-PCI-Express-bifurcated-Riser-x8x8-dual-GPU-triple-Slot-left/133276391091

10 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

I like LPX for my daily driver, could use it for the server aswell if im not going with ECC.

Yeah its an affordable memory, and found it to be very stable..been using their budget Vengeance memory since DDR2 for HTPC's, Home Servers, etc.....

10 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

 I would like to host a website or two on from the Unraid server at first. Regarding webserver/traffic, then it would be important to use ECC? (Eventually I would like to have a dedicated webserver).

Im currencly running Unraid baremetal and experimenting with Docker containers and soon VMs there. (Tested VirtualBox on Windows before for VMs).

ECC is not important to webservers, ECC is important to data storage in regards to writing files. Typically bit flip in memory is one of your least concerns with just a home server. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 10 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Link Aggregation, LACP, Port Bonding, Ether Channel

Thanks, I will look into that before I make any changes to my home network.
 

Found a good deal $60 for a D-lnik 3324SR 24-porter gigabit layer 3 / lag 3 switch managed & stackable. Good option?

 

Though I could upgrade the server with a  card like this? 10Gtek® 10GbE PCIE Network Card with Broadcom BCM57810S Chip, Dual SFP+ Ports, 10 Gigabit PCI Express x8 LAN Adapter, 3-Year Warranty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GHTXFJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BHFWEb5GQ0Y6V
 

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Ryzen

I’ve always been an Intel guy so I’m curious to try Ryzen, probably 3600X.

 

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

B450 or X470 is far better value. 

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look into those and think about it.
 

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

bifurcation

Yes, thanks for the link!

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

been using their budget Vengeance memory since DDR2

Wow, and no complaints. Good stuff huh? I probably won’t be going with ECC for this server then. 
 

Thanks for the help. It’s much appreciated and needed since am fairly new to the server space but I’m learning fast. Lots to learn:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Thanks, I will look into that before I make any changes to my home network.
 

Found a good deal $60 for a D-lnik 3324SR 24-porter gigabit layer 3 / lag 3 switch managed & stackable. Good option?

 

Being a managed switch supporting LAG, thats what you need if you want to do port bonding. 

Personally not a fan of D-Link gear, had a lot of issues with their stuff overheating, freezing, etc....over the years, but for the price it's probably good enough. 

 

6 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

 

Though I could upgrade the server with a  card like this? 10Gtek® 10GbE PCIE Network Card with Broadcom BCM57810S Chip, Dual SFP+ Ports, 10 Gigabit PCI Express x8 LAN Adapter, 3-Year Warranty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GHTXFJ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BHFWEb5GQ0Y6V
 

If you're going dual SFP+ Ports, then you want a switch with an SFP+ or 10Gbit copper port which are expensive. 

For port bonding with a cheap gigabit switch you want a quad copper nic like this https://www.amazon.com/Intel-expi9404ptlblk-1pk-1000PT-Single-1000-GbE/dp/B002B8CJVC

(Intel PRO 1000 have excellent legacy support with every platform)

 

6 hours ago, TechMeThatsSexy said:

Yes, thanks for the link!

No problem, just keep in mind that bifurcation is typically more of a server level thing. Newer CPU's/Boards in consumer range support it, but you'll have to do some research on that. 

 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor x2 | Ducky DK2108 Keyboard | Steel Series Sensei Ten | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOS-X Controller | Windows 10 Pro

 

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, Jarsky said:

supporting LAG

Thanks for the tip. I will research it and look for LAG supported switches.


Im soon buying some "Mellanox MNPH29D-XTR ConnectX-2" (2x Port 10GbE SFP+) cards to learn more about networking.

 

Still looking for a good used switch in my area and not sure yet what to get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×