Is my PC running to hot? Wind up then down sound also?

VincentVolaju

Hey everyone, so I built my PC today and have just been getting used to it. I haven't played many games or put it under any kind of real load. Mostly watching some YouTube videos, shows, transferring files from my old laptop etc. Everything seems to be working fine so far, except there is 2 things I am concerned about.

1)  Every 5-10 seconds I hear this sound like something in my PC is revving up then revs back down. It's almost like a humming fan sounds, it goes up and then down within 2-3 seconds, but happens every 5-10 seconds. Any idea what it could be?

2) I'm not really sure how to check my temps for everything. I downloaded a few programs like MSI Afterburner, Speccy, and HWInfo, but there is so many options and info in these things, I'm not even sure what I should be looking for. Speccy seemed the most straight forward, but didn't have my CPU temp listed on it. I've been looking through the HWInfo one, and I think I found the CPU temp under the name of mobo, but it says its like 60-70degrees, and that sounds pretty hot for just sitting at the desktop or watching a show, right?  Here is a screen shot...

KXXStKL.jpg

Am I reading that correctly? My CPU is between 60-72 degrees?  If so, is that too hot?

I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600, with just the stock cooler that comes with it.

nope those temps are fine. Have you checked taskmanager to find any weird apps using power or your compents?

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

those are fine

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

5 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

nope those temps are fine. Have you checked taskmanager to find any weird apps using power or your compents?

I just checked task manager now, nothing is really eating away at my resources. My CPU is at 15-20% being used, 10% of that is Firefox tabs,45% of memory is being used, 3.6gigs on Firefox again, but I have a video shows open, and YouTube etc.

4 minutes ago, wall03 said:

those are fine

Really? Okay well, that's good to hear. I googled normal CPU temps and it said like 25-35 degrees if you're not running any games and stuff. So when I saw I was 60-70 just at the desktop with Discord and a few firefox tabs opened I started to freak out lol.

1 minute ago, VincentVolaju said:

I just checked task manager now, nothing is really eating away at my resources. My CPU is at 15-20% being used, 10% of that is Firefox tabs,45% of memory is being used, 3.6gigs on Firefox again, but I have a video shows open, and YouTube etc.

Really? Okay well, that's good to hear. I googled normal CPU temps and it said like 25-35 degrees if you're not running any games and stuff. So when I saw I was 60-70 just at the desktop with Discord and a few firefox tabs opened I started to freak out lol.

AMD Ryzen gets hot faster. You are not at idle. That is what Google is saying. You have to be 95 C to hurt your CPU.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Voltages are on high side. If you want lower temps with minimal cost to performance, just turn off PBO.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

44 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Voltages are on high side. If you want lower temps with minimal cost to performance, just turn off PBO.

What is PBO and where do I turn that off? Is that a bios setting?

10 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

What is PBO and where do I turn that off? Is that a bios setting?

Performance Boost Optimization or something like that. Yes, it's BIOS option. It pretty much tells BIOS to let CPU go on with higher clock speeds if cooling allows it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv