new Audio equipment for new build

ixiboneheadixi

ok so i need to get some decent audio equipment for my new build, will be used for a lot of recording and streaming and such, also a lot of gaming and music and movie playback

i need a good pair of headphones with good sound stage for gaming. preferably open back headphones as they will only be used at home anyway. good quality is a must, but i dont need anything absolutely ridiculous, i would assume 200-300 should be enough for a good pair of headphones.

DAC and amp, as from what everyone seems to agree on is that it is the best sound and beats onboard and soundcard, also the convenience of having something on my desk to plug my headphones into rather than reaching behind my computer on the floor is a plus.

a good microphone and pop filter, a couple of my friends have requested me to come on their somewhat popular podcasts at times and they have like music studio grade stuff i dont want to sound like shit. plus for streaming and recording gameplay it would be a plus(not trying to make it rich on youtube or anything, just want to upload some good quality videos for my friends and whoever to enjoy) 

something like a Behringher Xenyx QX1002 or similar, so in the future i can have a couple mics for when i am recording with more than one person, also i have a friend interested in recording music with me. plus for streaming and teamspeak and stuff the little effect panel seems like a blast to mess around with. i guess the microphone will have to have an xlr connector too to make use of equipment like this. 

and a good set of surround speakers, its a smallish room nothing crazy is required, but i dont like to game 24/7 with headphones. 

so could anyone recommend me some products? i dont exactly have a budget, i want to pay for quality but im not exactly rich either, so kind of the sweet spot of price to performance is what im aiming for. but for sure stuff to last me quite a few years. also if i am missing out on anything audio related i should pick up please let me know. 

ok so i need to get some decent audio equipment for my new build, will be used for a lot of recording and streaming and such, also a lot of gaming and music and movie playback

i need a good pair of headphones with good sound stage for gaming. preferably open back headphones as they will only be used at home anyway. good quality is a must, but i dont need anything absolutely ridiculous, i would assume 200-300 should be enough for a good pair of headphones.

DAC and amp, as from what everyone seems to agree on is that it is the best sound and beats onboard and soundcard, also the convenience of having something on my desk to plug my headphones into rather than reaching behind my computer on the floor is a plus.

a good microphone and pop filter, a couple of my friends have requested me to come on their somewhat popular podcasts at times and they have like music studio grade stuff i dont want to sound like shit. plus for streaming and recording gameplay it would be a plus(not trying to make it rich on youtube or anything, just want to upload some good quality videos for my friends and whoever to enjoy) 

something like a Behringher Xenyx QX1002 or similar, so in the future i can have a couple mics for when i am recording with more than one person, also i have a friend interested in recording music with me. plus for streaming and teamspeak and stuff the little effect panel seems like a blast to mess around with. i guess the microphone will have to have an xlr connector too to make use of equipment like this. 

and a good set of surround speakers, its a smallish room nothing crazy is required, but i dont like to game 24/7 with headphones. 

so could anyone recommend me some products? i dont exactly have a budget, i want to pay for quality but im not exactly rich either, so kind of the sweet spot of price to performance is what im aiming for. but for sure stuff to last me quite a few years. also if i am missing out on anything audio related i should pick up please let me know. 

What's your total budget?

and don't bother with surround or gaymin speakers, to be frank they're quite shit. You may as well put more money on the headphones, turn up the volume, and lay them on your desk if you don't feel like wearing them. I recently threw my Logitechs out, mind you they didn't suck, but comparatively it's laughable. 

If you want to do surround without headphones, you either pay the money for a solid home theater setup or don't even bother. Spend the money on good stereo speakers instead. 

Error: 410

What's your total budget?

and don't bother with surround or gaymin speakers, to be frank they're quite shit. You may as well put more money on the headphones, turn up the volume, and lay them on your desk if you don't feel like wearing them. I recently threw my Logitechs out, mind you they didn't suck, but comparatively it's laughable. 

If you want to do surround without headphones, you either pay the money for a solid home theater setup or don't even bother. Spend the money on good stereo speakers instead. 

ok i will go for a decent set of stereo speakers for now and invest in a home theatre system later on. and total budget i would say 600 USD is what im aiming for, but obviously for quality items i may have to pay more, which im open to, like i said i dont have too much of a budget, just try to keep it reasonable, 600 bucks or less would be awesome, but if its for great equipment that will last a long time, than more than 600 is fine. just dont want to pay like 1300 bucks or anything like that

ok i will go for a decent set of stereo speakers for now and invest in a home theatre system later on. and total budget i would say 600 USD is what im aiming for, but obviously for quality items i may have to pay more, which im open to, like i said i dont have too much of a budget, just try to keep it reasonable, 600 bucks or less would be awesome, but if its for great equipment that will last a long time, than more than 600 is fine. just dont want to pay like 1300 bucks or anything like that

will reply with edit tomorrow

I'ma beat you to it helping. :P

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Headphones

Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Audio Interface

audio-technica AT2020 XLR Mic

Audioengine A2 Powered Speakers

Total: $580

You might want a subwoofer with those speakers, but good subwoofers are rather expensive. If you were to get one I'd get a really good one so you can hang on to it for when you get around to building a real surround sound setup.

I'ma beat you to it helping. :P

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Headphones

Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 Audio Interface

audio-technica AT2020 XLR Mic

Audioengine A2 Powered Speakers

Total: $580

You might want a subwoofer with those speakers, but good subwoofers are rather expensive. If you were to get one I'd get a really good one so you can hang on to it for when you get around to building a real surround sound setup.

yeah I will probably wait on a subwoofer but I think you nailed it for me other than an amp/dac which I won't have any problem buying extra, only thing I might do is go for a Behringer product instead of the product you mentioned as I know someone who had one of those and a Behringer Xenyx QX1002 and he much prefetrd the Behringer.

Also sorry if I'm spelling like crap it's five in the morning and I'm km a phone lol

yeah I will probably wait on a subwoofer but I think you nailed it for me other than an amp/dac which I won't have any problem buying extra, only thing I might do is go for a Behringer product instead of the product you mentioned as I know someone who had one of those and a Behringer Xenyx QX1002 and he much prefetrd the Behringer.

Also sorry if I'm spelling like crap it's five in the morning and I'm km a phone lol

Oh, that Focusrite will work as a headphone DAC/amp just fine. The reason I recommended the Beyerdynamic was so there wont be any issue with the dampening factor, which some pro-type stuff will have an issue with.

Behringer has good cheap stuff, so if you go that route and it doesn't have a headphone port, grab a FiiO E10.

Oh, that Focusrite will work as a headphone DAC/amp just fine. The reason I recommended the Beyerdynamic was so there wont be any issue with the dampening factor, which some pro-type stuff will have an issue with.

Behringer has good cheap stuff, so if you go that route and it doesn't have a headphone port, grab a FiiO E10.

ok thanks

You said you were doing a HT setup later, right?

You could skip the Amp/DAC and get a digital input AVR with a pair of passive monitors instead of active. Should be two birds with one stone since you'll have a head start on the 5.1. 

I'm using an old receiver driven off of the E10 line out to RCA, and do be honest with my 990's I can't hear a difference between the receiver and the e10. It might be since they're both technically from the same source (DAC is not bypassed)

If you get a good quality receiver, it would save you from having to buy redundant stuff that you might not even use in the future.

Just something to consider. 

You said you were doing a HT setup later, right?

You could skip the Amp/DAC and get a digital input AVR with a pair of passive monitors instead of active. Should be two birds with one stone since you'll have a head start on the 5.1. 

I'm using an old receiver driven off of the E10 line out to RCA, and do be honest with my 990's I can't hear a difference between the receiver and the e10. It might be since they're both technically from the same source (DAC is not bypassed)

If you get a good quality receiver, it would save you from having to buy redundant stuff that you might not even use in the future.

Just something to consider. 

its a good idea, one of the main reasons i want an amp/dac though is somewhat portable, so when i go somewhere for a few days  can bring it with me to run off of my crappy laptop which has horrible sound. like being in a hotel room for 3 or 4 days i can set it up on the desk and have it to plug my headphones into. 

plus im not all too sure about the surround sound set up anyway, i may end up just doing that in the living room and just using headphones and some stereo speakers for my computer room. 

one other question though, should i grab the Behringer Xenyx QX1002, with good recommendation from a friend(said he would pay that price for the little effect panel alone he has so much fun with it), or is there another behringer product similar priced thats better, or a product from another company that is better as well. 

its a good idea, one of the main reasons i want an amp/dac though is somewhat portable, so when i go somewhere for a few days  can bring it with me to run off of my crappy laptop which has horrible sound. like being in a hotel room for 3 or 4 days i can set it up on the desk and have it to plug my headphones into. 

plus im not all too sure about the surround sound set up anyway, i may end up just doing that in the living room and just using headphones and some stereo speakers for my computer room. 

one other question though, should i grab the Behringer Xenyx QX1002, with good recommendation from a friend(said he would pay that price for the little effect panel alone he has so much fun with it), or is there another behringer product similar priced thats better, or a product from another company that is better as well. 

Try his out. If you like it I don't see a reason not to get it. You probably won't find much decent and cheaper than Behringer. They're already a performance per dollar type of brand. 

Try his out. If you like it I don't see a reason not to get it. You probably won't find much decent and cheaper than Behringer. They're already a performance per dollar type of brand. 

ok cool, what about for an amp/dac, everyone i ask or everywhere i look, someone will tell me one brand is the best and the next person tells me that brand is the worst lol seems to be a widely debated issue for some people.

ok cool, what about for an amp/dac, everyone i ask or everywhere i look, someone will tell me one brand is the best and the next person tells me that brand is the worst lol seems to be a widely debated issue for some people.

The e10 that the sheep suggested earlier is probably your best choice. 

That's what I assumed when picking things out.

Let us know what you decide on and how it sounds once setup! :)