Need advice on an AMP/DAC for €220 ($300)

Jobobee

Hello,

I've got a pair of AKG K702s with the anniversary edition pads, and need advice on an AMP + DAC/Soundcard to go with them. 

I'd like to use Dolby Headphones as I am using them for gaming. I was thinking of the Audio-GD 15.32with the TCXO upgrade. I can use DH on them because I have a Xonar DGX and I can use an optical output. 

The DAC needs an optical/Coax in.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Jobobee

Hello,

I've got a pair of AKG K702s with the anniversary edition pads, and need advice on an AMP + DAC/Soundcard to go with them. 

I'd like to use Dolby Headphones as I am using them for gaming. I was thinking of the Audio-GD 15.32with the TCXO upgrade. I can use DH on them because I have a Xonar DGX and I can use an optical output. 

The DAC needs an optical/Coax in.

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Jobobee

I'm not an expert, but a DAC can't have a optical in. It's a DIGITAL to analog converter, so digital sources only (USB). AMP yes, because it's job is only to amplify the signal. So what you're searching for is only an AMP. @MayflowerElectronics has a O2 amp that is very good and in that price range.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I'm not an expert, but a DAC can't have a optical in. It's a DIGITAL to analog converter, so digital sources only (USB). AMP yes, because it's job is only to amplify the signal. So what you're searching for is only an AMP. @MayflowerElectronics has a O2 amp that is very good and in that price range.

Optical is digital :)

Optical is digital :)

Still, if you use your Xonar DGX that will take the role of a DAC

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Still, if you use your Xonar DGX that will take the role of a DAC

Nope, you can have it do the audio processing, so Dolby Headphones, then get it from a digital output.

Nope, you can have it do the audio processing, so Dolby Headphones, then get it from a digital output.

but isn't the audio processing done on the DAC? As I've said, I'm not an expert, but I think that's how it is :)

osu! profile

but isn't the audio processing done on the DAC? As I've said, I'm not an expert, but I think that's how it is :)

Lots of people have told me that you can bypass the DAC on the Xonar.

Lots of people have told me that you can bypass the DAC on the Xonar.

Yeah, by going though onboard, not that one dac will sound any different from another regardless of implementation. Unless of course you are a stupendously expensive machine used to measure inaudible differences between dacs. 

A solution that you could look at is making use of your Xonar, but by pass its downfall by outputting to an O2 

(Just thought that I should mention that a DAC can and often enough does except a digital in, kinda like a computer processor it sucks up that data, and does its job (Converting to analog or pushing a digital signal to the proper output))

Yeah, by going though onboard, not that one dac will sound any different from another regardless of implementation. Unless of course you are a stupendously expensive machine used to measure inaudible differences between dacs. 

A solution that you could look at is making use of your Xonar, but by pass its downfall by outputting to an O2 

(Just thought that I should mention that a DAC can and often enough does except a digital in, kinda like a computer processor it sucks up that data, and does its job (Converting to analog or pushing a digital signal to the proper output))

So you think that DACs are useless? I could get a really nice AMP, but I still think DACs are important.

Technically but if you are outputting digital, its not doing much. at that point the DAC that matters is at the other end of the digital signal. (I.E. Computer -> Xonar -> AVR, where the dac in the AVR is the important one, as its the dac directly before the amp. Anything that happens before the component directly before the amp doesn't really matter all to much. )

So you think that DACs are useless? I could get a really nice AMP, but I still think DACs are important.

Not useless per say, you need one, its just that a dac from the past 5-7 years will function like any other dac made and implemented in the same time frame. You feel? 

The amp is what is directly responsible for how a headphone or speaker* will sound. 

*If you have a soundcard before the speaker refer to my previous post with the AVR example

Not useless per say, you need one, its just that a dac from the past 5-7 years will function like any other dac made and implemented in the same time frame. You feel? 

The amp is what is directly responsible for how a headphone or speaker* will sound. 

*If you have a soundcard before the speaker refer to my previous post with the AVR example

You kinda lost me.

Wouldn't a better DAC perform a lot better than the one in the DGX? 

You kinda lost me.

Wouldn't a better DAC perform a lot better than the one in the DGX? 

Not audibly, refer to satirical post about if you are a $350,000 machine or not.  

Not audibly, refer to satirical post about if you are a $350,000 machine or not.  

So you suggest just getting a really good amp?

So you suggest just getting a really good amp?

In a nutshell. You have two dacs already (Onboard and Xonar) 

So focus on the component that makes a difference, an amp. 

In a nutshell. You have two dacs already (Onboard and Xonar) 

So focus on the component that makes a difference, an amp. 

An audiophile friend of mine told me that the DAC was just as important as the AMP. The one on my DGX must be a piece of s**t.

An audiophile friend of mine told me that the DAC was just as important as the AMP. The one on my DGX must be a piece of s**t.

Well an audiophile isn't an audio engineer. One dac will output the same line level as another.

For instance, lets say we sat down together with a laptop, your desktop with its onboard and Xonar, and a standard smartphone/mp3 player, and output all those devices to, lets say an O2. You would face the other way while wearing the headphone plugged into the O2, and guess as to what source I am playing off of. I guarantee you would not get them right consistently. Its a simple fact that most anything before the final amp is mostly pointless. 

Well an audiophile isn't an audio engineer. One dac will output the same line level as another.

For instance, lets say we sat down together with a laptop, your desktop with its onboard and Xonar, and a standard smartphone/mp3 player, and output all those devices to, lets say an O2. You would face the other way while wearing the headphone plugged into the O2, and guess as to what source I am playing off of. I guarantee you would not get them right consistently. Its a simple fact that most anything before the final amp is mostly pointless. 

So why do people spend a fortune on them?

So why do people spend a fortune on them?

Yeah. 

But people also spent $45k on a gold pill so they could shit glitter. People aren't smart consumers. 

Yeah. 

But people also spent $45k on a gold pill so they could shit glitter. People aren't smart consumers. 

I'm still not sold :P.

Let's see what others say.

I'm still not sold :P.

Let's see what others say.

We'll all say exactly the same thing. It's the truth. 

It's actually really annoying when people say "get a DAC". It's a DAC and amp combo, (most of the time). It's the amp that matters, not the DAC really.

We'll all say exactly the same thing. It's the truth. 

It's actually really annoying when people say "get a DAC". It's a DAC and amp combo, (most of the time). It's the amp that matters, not the DAC really.

Okay, I suppose I'll get a new AMP. I'd get the O2, but I think I'd prefer something a bit better. I don't listen to extremely loud music though, so the O2 is a possibility.

Okay, I suppose I'll get a new AMP. I'd get the O2, but I think I'd prefer something a bit better. I don't listen to extremely loud music though, so the O2 is a possibility.

Better than an O2 and you'll be spending over $1k. 

Better than an O2 and you'll be spending over $1k. 

I can name plenty for less than $300.

Schiit Vali/Asgard 2, iFi iCAN etc...

I can name plenty for less than $300.

Schiit Vali/Asgard 2, iFi iCAN etc...

Well if you're so smart why are you asking us? :P

I wouldn't use a tube amp with low-impedance phones like the AKGs, and the iCan looks like a good amp with marked up price because of all those "features" they add. I mean, if you want features, great, but I thought we were just talking about amps. The Asgard is, well, Schiit.