Does the NZXT H510 need a specific USB-C mobo header?

peep

I'm buying the NZXT H510 and it has a front-panel USB-C connector, does anyone know if the "MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard" can facilitate the USB-C header? Or will it be just a dead port that won't have any use because the motherboard doesn't have any connectors for it?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, peep said:

I'm buying the NZXT H510 and it has a front-panel USB-C connector, does anyone know if the "MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard" can facilitate the USB-C header? Or will it be just a dead port that won't have any use because the motherboard doesn't have any connectors for it?

The case needs a specific front panel plug, which does motherboard does not have.

With this motherboard, the USB Type C plug on the case will do nothing.

You either need to get an adapter (which I don't have experience with, so don't have an opinion on it), or you need to get a motherboard which does have the plug (the plug is generally seen as a most luxury port, so you will mostly only find it on 180+ USD X570 boards).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, minibois said:

The case needs a specific front panel plug, which does motherboard does not have.

With this motherboard, the USB Type C plug on the case will do nothing.

You either need to get an adapter (which I don't have experience with, so don't have an opinion on it), or you need to get a motherboard which does have the plug (the plug is generally seen as a most luxury port, so you will mostly only find it on 180+ USD X570 boards).

Ah I see, do you think it’s worth it going for a more expensive board for the USB-C regardless of the fact I don’t have any USB-C technology at home?

2 hours ago, peep said:

Ah I see, do you think it’s worth it going for a more expensive board for the USB-C regardless of the fact I don’t have any USB-C technology at home?

I have the exact same problem (even same mobo planned lol) and i think what i've decided is that im going to stick with the B450-A PRO MAX and not buy a adapter, but if i get annoyed by not having it after a couple of months, i'll get an adapter, which are like $20 on amazon.

here's a link to a forum post with mobo recommendations if you do decide to spring for a mobo:

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

9 hours ago, peep said:

Just see the USB Type C port on the case as a faster and differently shaped USB port.

Probably not worth it today, maybe worth it in the future?

Anyways, you would need to move up to an X570 board like the Aorus Elite.

Is this worth it though? IMO, you're better off spending that 100 USD difference in getting a better videocard, rather than this different motherboard.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/