Resume

timfolger

Hi! first of all you guys are awesome , its non tech related subject but i'm hoping someone can help me...

So my girlfriend works in such a job that she has no right to disclose any information about the company.

she found a great job listing and they of course require experience in that field which she sure has but she can not give either manager's number or company name.

it's some translating stuff . So what i wanted to ask is that if you guys ever had similar experience , what did you do? how did you convince them with a resume or short text about yourself without giving any information about your current work except what you do for that "X" company
thanks!..

Im sure no Law exist where its forbidden to say a companies Name.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, timfolger said:

Hi! first of all you guys are awesome , its non tech related subject but i'm hoping someone can help me...

So my girlfriend works in such a job that she has no right to disclose any information about the company.

she found a great job listing and they of course require experience in that field which she sure has but she can not give either manager's number or company name.

it's some translating stuff . So what i wanted to ask is that if you guys ever had similar experience , what did you do? how did you convince them with a resume or short text about yourself without giving any information about your current work except what you do for that "X" company
thanks!..

Did she sign an NDA specifically saying she can't name the company she used to work for?

It's common in government work that you can't show the innards of your work, but not being able to name the company/work you did would be very uncommon.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

She can talk about the skills and responsibilities that she had, without needing to talk about the specifics, although naming the company is still pretty important there and it seems unlikely to me that any reasonable NDA would stop you from saying who your employer was. Assuming that you are allowed to name the company, I would go for something like

Translator at X (2 years)

• Responsible for translating legal documents/user-facing content/content for clients from English to Klingon
  • Checked the translations of other members of the team
  • ... more skills are better

Ideally, you want to try and check off as many of the requirements listed in the job listing as truthfully possible. Some might be hard to justify without talking about the specifics of the work, but a CV/resume is more about describing skills than justifying them (although just copying the list of skills from the job listing obviously wouldn't go down well). If possible, try to talk about responsibilities and achievements, even in general terms.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, timfolger said:

thanks!..

I’m sure she can say the company name and what she was responsible for without disclosing what she was actually working on. For example project manager at company heading a group of 30 people. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

14 hours ago, timfolger said:

thanks!..

I would ask her to read the NDA again because an NDA that won’t let you say the company is super sketchy (unless it’s intelligence work, in which case normally you’re given a “cover” job). 

Ideally she really needs to list the company name. She can say she signed an NDA so she can’t talk about specifics but she can still generalize things. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yup, pretty common in startup land, even well-established startup land.

It's a challenge but talk about the work she does and the skills / accomplishments she has developed there, without naming the company directly. Alluding to it as "performed XYZ work for a [describe what company does without its name] in the ABC space" is one way to go about it. She will have the best luck once she finds a hiring manager who has seen NDA'd company names on prospective hires before.

It's pretty easy to tell the hire is making it up vs just can't name the company, IF the hiring manager is remotely competent. Do not leave blank years on the resume just because you can't name the company.

thank you very very much! you guys were very helpful