Fixing a broken ethernet cable?

Burmese Python

I have this broken ethernet cable (image) and I wonder if there any good advice on how to fix it if it any hope to repair it?

IMG_20200403_125040.jpg

Once the head is crimped, you can't reuse it. You'll have to get a crimp kit with a set of heads if you really want to reuse that cable. Otherwise it's irreparable, those cables are delicate and they wrap around each other for EMI protection.

Ryzen 7 2700X  ASUS X470 PRO  16GB 2400Mhz Crucial Ballistix SAPPHIRE RX 580  970 EVO  Dark Rock PRO 4  Dark Base PRO 900

If you have a crimp kit for it you can just cut it off after the broken cables, align the cables correctly and attach a new head.

That looks horrid.

Depends what you want to do.  From a labor perspective it's both less expensive and you achieve more consistent results replacing it with a manufactured cable.  Plus if you already don't have some equipment like a crimper that will set you back more.

If you want the skills to fix cables all day then it's not a bad play, although if you only have half a dozen cables to do you'll never recoup the cost.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

5 hours ago, Burmese Python said:

I have this broken ethernet cable (image) and I wonder if there any good advice on how to fix it if it any hope to repair it?

Wow! Looks like the vacuum cleaner snagged it or a pet was using it as a chew toy!

I agree with replacing the entire cable with an already pre-crimped version if the length is relatively short and easy to access.

However, if the existing cable is going to be difficult to remove from wall ducts/channels, then you might as well re-crimp the damaged end yourself or have an experienced person do it for you. Keep the old plug to replicate the order of the coloured wires for the new plug.