Updated BIOS last night, now my CPU (3700X) temperature spikes when idle.

Hey everyone, I could use some help.

Last night I updated my ROG Strix 570-I Gaming motherboard to the latest BIOS (Version 1407), now my 3700X CPU temperature constantly fluctuates. It used to idle around 30C and now it randomly fluctuates from 34C to 43C. It also decided to run my CPU at 4050mHz when it was running at 3800mHz before the update. I have adjusted the mHz of my CPU back down through AI Suite 3. That hasn't fixed the temperature issue though. My RAM seems to be resetting itself to a lower speed from 3600 to 2132 and I have reset that a few times. It's been very frustrating trying to figure this out. My fans keep speeding up and slowing down making my PC sound like its breathing.

My questions: How do I prevent these random CPU temperature spikes? How do I get my RAM to stay at the correct speed?

This is my first build that I put together in November 2019 so I'm still learning a lot. It could very well be an obvious and dumb mistake that I'm not aware of. Any help would be really appreciated.

I attached CPU-Z screenshots of my current situation.

Thank you!

Annotation 2020-04-11 203919.png

Annotation 2020-04-11 204108.png

Annotation 2020-04-11 204123.png

Annotation 2020-04-11 204132.png

Annotation 2020-04-11 204151.png

Annotation 2020-04-11 204357.png

Flucations are normal. Mine bounces everywhere between 40-57 during idle. What temps do you have under load? As long as those are below 85C or so you are good. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

The BIOS update could’ve also changed the voltage. 1.320V is kind of high on idle. Unless your temps under load are still acceptable, then it might not be worth messing with.

F@H    EOC

18 minutes ago, jamesonford said:

This is my first build that I put together in November 2019 so I'm still learning a lot.

If it ain't broke, do not try to fix it until it is, I think that is how that goes.

Why not just go back to the previous BIOS since the updated one is giving you such a hard time and wasting your time too

16 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

Flucations are normal. Mine bounces everywhere between 40-57 during idle. What temps do you have under load? As long as those are below 85C or so you are good. 

I have AIDA64 running right now, it seems to have peaked at 61C but stabilized at 56C. That seems normal but I may doing the wrong kind of test.

10 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

If it ain't broke, do not try to fix it until it is, I think that is how that goes.

Why not just go back to the previous BIOS since the updated one is giving you such a hard time and wasting your time too

If I tried that, would I just update the BIOS using the previous version?

You are running the rest test? If you are running an AIO, you have to run for at least 30-45 minutes for things to reach equilibrium. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

17 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

The BIOS update could’ve also changed the voltage. 1.320V is kind of high on idle. Unless your temps under load are still acceptable, then it might not be worth messing with.

Do you think if I adjusted it down to 1.3V then that would make a difference?

1 minute ago, jamesonford said:

If I tried that, would I just update the BIOS using the previous version?

preferably the one you "saved" before you upgraded, you did do that right? 

If not, do you know what version you were using?

Yeah, my x570 is doing the same. This is certainly due to higher than normal voltages. I see 1.5v for small loads sometimes. As long as you dont cross 95 under load and start throttling, you should be fine  xD

As for the Lower Ram frequency, you probaly have xmp disabled now, and will have to re enable it.

For the fan ramping up and down, adjust the cpu fan curve, such that it crosses 50% only past the highest temperature you see when idling or under normal load(like web browsing). Or better yet, set a curve where your fans ramp up past 50% only past 55 degrees.

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

3 minutes ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

You are running the rest test? If you are running an AIO, you have to run for at least 30-45 minutes for things to reach equilibrium. 

No, I'll have to look for that. I used the system stability test. I'm using a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler.

3 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

preferably the one you "saved" before you upgraded, you did do that right? 

If not, do you know what version you were using?

I used the one right before it, 1405. It came out three days before my build.

5 minutes ago, jamesonford said:

Do you think if I adjusted it down to 1.3V then that would make a difference?

Do you have it set at 1.32, or is it doing that automatically? Normally your Core Volatage will bounce from 1.100 V to 1.500V on idle, but if it's sutained at that, then you should set it to Auto in the BIOS 

F@H    EOC

5 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Do you have it set at 1.32, or is it doing that automatically? Normally your Core Volatage will bounce from 1.100 V to 1.500V on idle, but if it's sutained at that, then you should set it to Auto in the BIOS 

It was on “Offset”? I’ll try Auto now and see what happens. 

Thank you for the responses by the way. 

1 minute ago, jamesonford said:

It was on “Offset”? I’ll try Auto now and see what happens. 

Thank you for the responses by the way. 

Offset appears to be an overclocking setting. Here's an article with some in-depth explanation:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage

F@H    EOC

16 minutes ago, Umeshwarnath said:

Yeah, my x570 is doing the same. This is certainly due to higher than normal voltages. I see 1.5v for small loads sometimes. As long as you dont cross 95 under load and start throttling, you should be fine  xD

As for the Lower Ram frequency, you probaly have xmp disabled now, and will have to re enable it.

For the fan ramping up and down, adjust the cpu fan curve, such that it crosses 50% only past the highest temperature you see when idling or under normal load(like web browsing). Or better yet, set a curve where your fans ramp up past 50% only past 55 degrees.

I guess it’s probably a problem with this line of motherboards then. Hopefully the next update fixes this issue. 🙄

Yeah! It’s called DOCP in my BIOS for some reason. It seems to be okay for now. 

That’s kind of my last resort. I’d rather not have my CPU fluctuating like this if I can help it. The fan curves will definitely help if I’m screwed haha. 

Thanks for the response. 

4 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Offset appears to be an overclocking setting. Here's an article with some in-depth explanation:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2162-Overclocking-Using-Offset-Mode-for-CPU-Core-Voltage

That makes sense. This motherboard seems to have a lot of options for overclocking. 

Switching to Auto doesn’t seem to have made a difference unfortunately. 

A commenter above also has a 570 motherboard and is experiencing the same thing. He believes that it’s due to voltage issues. Maybe a manual adjustment might work? 

4 minutes ago, jamesonford said:

The fan curves will definitely help if I’m screwed haha. 

I just put my fan curves on "full" for everything, no more ramping :) 

except for my GPU , it seems to be pretty good about not bouncing all over the place

Just now, jamesonford said:

That makes sense. This motherboard seems to have a lot of options for overclocking. 

Switching to Auto doesn’t seem to have made a difference unfortunately. 

A commenter above also has a 570 motherboard and is experiencing the same thing. He believes that it’s due to voltage issues. Maybe a manual adjustment might work? 

Messing with the voltage has the chance of making the PC less stable. It might work, but I am not an expert on manually adjusting CPU VCore. 

IMO if temps are still reasonable under load (Cinebench R20 on loop for example), then I would just leave it as is. 

F@H    EOC

10 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Messing with the voltage has the chance of making the PC less stable. It might work, but I am not an expert on manually adjusting CPU VCore. 

IMO if temps are still reasonable under load (Cinebench R20 on loop for example), then I would just leave it as is. 

I definitely am not either so that’s why I’m trying to avoid doing that. 
I’m going to leave Cinebench on while I get something to eat. We’ll see what happens. 

Thanks again. 

Are you using Ryzen balanced power plan? If not update your chipset drivers directly from AMD. Once you do that the power plan should be available.

1 hour ago, foamygopher said:

Are you using Ryzen balanced power plan? If not update your chipset drivers directly from AMD. Once you do that the power plan should be available.

No, I haven’t even heard of that. I’ll look into that tomorrow morning. Thank you for the info!