usb 3.1 to m.2 nvme to pcie to gpu?

Hi. I'm just wondering if I can make my own external graphics card because all the commercial ones are very expensive. I just am wondering if you think this will work. A usb 3.0/3.1 to m.2 nvme connecter, which then is converted to pcie 4x, which then is converted into pcie 16x, and then to my gpu. Here are the parts on amazon that I am considering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827R1L4K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2LNZEPI7X9Y44&psc=1      

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z5YKXJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2JG7U147IMRBO&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJE0KJ6/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UCLUF7KW7AYG

please correct me if I am wrong.

it won't work. PCIe and USB don't share the same transfer protocol so it won't accept the eGPU. Even if it did work, your bandwidth is cut so much and the latency would be so high that you'd lose significant performance even on the lowest end cards.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Ignoring the bandwidth constraints for a seconds, how are you going to power the GPU? It usually expects to be able to draw up to 75 Watts over PCIe and may need additional power adapters.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I was planning to just use a normal atx power supply that I have laying around and short the pins

Your main issue here, among several, is that fact that your USB-C adapter doesn't support PCIe, only SATA. Which means it's not providing PCIe lanes. You'd need at least a thunderbolt port and an adapter that provides PCIe lanes.

614AtP1gH2L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

What is your laptop?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

hey, currently doing folding event but after it will end i can give it a try for you, i own the following - 

main pc - usb 3.1 gen 2 (supports additional +0.3V either to it or to nearby usb 3.1 gen 1)

secondary pc - a generic usb 3.0

adapter #1 - usb 3.1 to nvme m.2 (pcie) (the adapter have both, type a and type c connectors, but type c is 2.0 unfortunately, on the adapter itself, got kinda scammed and never knew before that type c connector can be 2.0, it's type a is 3.0 luckily)

adapter #2 - nvme m.2 (pcie) to pcie x16 (x4 effective since m.2 is x4)

my main concern is that while it's fine to use something as low power as nvme m.2 ssd in usb adapter, it may not be fine at all to use it for some power hungry gpu, and i don't even want to try it on my main pc to see if it will work, for secondary though i may do the lock on watts draw of gpu(i have a bios for ~180ish R9 390 from around 280ish base , but that obviously is nowhere near enough, need to go lower here), in case if it will somehow end up working , , in best case it will not work at all or somehow will end up working, in worst case i'll kill the adapter or the usb slot

also, i bought all that stuff off aliexpress and it's of high quality, even when got scammed on the type c connector (though i returned half the price after lots of complains and evidence in dispute) , didn't checked the first link in your post much but the latter 2 is definitely poor quality if anything

14 hours ago, monkey0110 said:

Ok, thanks

good news for me, my adapter & gpu is fine, bad news for you, mobo done 5 beeps and there was no display output, was a run through type A usb 3.0 

Spoiler

FwuWQ.png

i also gave it a go through type c connector on my main pc and the result was practically same, so it is a nono for you, let's consider this thread solved then :)