Is my planned build ok?

nutzaalex
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,
43 minutes ago, nutzaalex said:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 vs 3600x?

if you add custom cooling, go for the 3600. the main difference between x and non-x is the stock cooler

AIO: would a single 120 fan be enough to cool an OC amd? or should I go for double 120 aio?

120mm aio's are worse than most cheap air coolers. either go for 240mm or a decent air cooler with 2 fans.

44 minutes ago, nutzaalex said:

MSI B450M MORTAR MAX.

great choice.

SSD: samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb NVME m.2

extremely overpriced. any nvme ssd is future proof, given that current games aren't yet bottlenecked even by the cheapest sata drives.

RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsV F4-3600C16D-32GVKC

good choice.

45 minutes ago, nutzaalex said:

Last question: Is corsair CS650M 650W 80 plus gold ok for reusing in this new build considering I intend to OC?

good enough.

Spor la treaba!

Hello, I am planning to upgrade my rig (mobile intel i7 2860QM + 16gb hyperx ddr3 sodimms from an exploded alienware m17 r3 + a server mitx motherboard)

Will reuse my corsair 650 power supply + evga gtx 1060 6gb + sata samsung evo ssd + some laptop hdd.

1. Budget & Location

I live in Romania. I don't exactly have a budget (if there's a reason to go to a higher budget than my current plan of parts, I got no problem with that), I am mostly value oriented though.

2. Aim

I want to upgrade my rig as my cpu is a bottleneck for a while now... I am mostly interested to check if the parts are  super compatible ( I want to OC) and if there's a better value out there that I'm not seeing.

I am gaming mostly pubg, csgo, not that much into triple a games, though it might become appealing after the build... I do some dev work, web browsing (shitton of chrome tabs :D)

Kinda also want to future proof a bit.

3. Monitors & peripherals

Got a Benq 1080p 144hz > will upgrade soon to some 2k =>144hz monitor

Logitech mechanical keyb + g903 mouse + powerplay mat (my most wasteful buy for its price, it is really awesome to always have the mouse changed though)

NEW BUILD THOUGHTS:

My aim is to build an AMD pc. I like to thinker with things, so I have my 1060 OC to the max, and plan on doing the same with the new cpu + ram, as such the most important part for me is choosing the motherboard for this.

I need: cpu, motherboard, ssd, ram, cpu AIO cooler.

PARTS:

SSD: samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb NVME m.2 - I think its the best speed+value for me. + the other storage I have, this category feels closed to me.

CPU: I gravitated between Ryzen 5 3600 and 3600x, after some reviews, I concluded the x is not worth it given the price difference/ performance it gives, still given that I want to OC, should I get the x?

RAM: I am thinking DDR4 3600 32gb dual channel found this > G.SKILL RipjawsV F4-3600C16D-32GVKC 225$US, sadly I cannot find 3600 + DDR4 + lower CL than this one available to buy, this one is CL16. If there's something wrong with this for OC or if there's a way better value out there than this, or a better option please provide it and I will search the stores for it.

AIO: I am debating if I'll get a AIO with one 120mm fan or two. I am gravitating towards ARCTIC AC Liquid Freezer II 120  or 240. I could get ether, the 240 is more $ but in your opinion for OC Ryzen 5 3600, will the 120 version be a bottleneck?

MOTHERBOARD: this is where I need the most help, I'd like to not cheap out here in order to get the max OC, most quality components etc. but I am limited to mITX and mATX since my case is small. After research I found that best value for me would be MSI B450M MORTAR MAX. Here are two links with available motherboards to buy, perhaps someone knows the cryptic naming of motherboards these days and sees a better one than the one I chose (pls limit to in stock ones):

https://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-de-baza/filtre/general-format-matx/general-soclu-procesor-socket-am4/general-chipset-b450/memorii-suportate-tip-memorie-ddr4/sloturi-pci-express-30-x16-1-x16/

https://www.emag.ro/placi_baza/filter/cpu-socket-f6,am4-v24735/format-f80,micro-atx-v2005/format-f80,mini-itx-v2095/c

Last question: Is corsair CS650M 650W 80 plus gold ok for reusing in this new build considering I intend to OC?

I am sorry for the long post 😧

TLDR:

I want to make a value upgrade:

RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsV F4-3600C16D-32GVKC is it ok for oc? its the lowest CL I found with decent price

MOTHERBOARD: most important for me since I intend to OC, also I want to keep it value oriented, got a small case so only mATX/mITX, I found: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX, is it ok? is there something better?

AIO: would a single 120 fan be enough to cool an OC amd? or should I go for double 120 aio?

7 minutes ago, nutzaalex said:

SSD: samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb NVME m.2 - I think its the best speed+value for me. + the other storage I have, this category feels closed to me.

for gaming purposes, the 970 evo is often far too expensive. What prices can you find competing NVMe SSDs for, like the Intel 660p, sabrent rocket, HP EX900, Adata SX, etc.

7 minutes ago, nutzaalex said:

MOTHERBOARD: sadly I am lost in crap naming for the boards, this is where I need the most help, I'd like to not cheap out here in order to get the max OC, most quality components etc. But I am limited to mITX and mATX since my case is small since I also move the PC sometimes. after research I found that best value for me would be MSI B450M MORTAR MAX. But here are two links with available motherboards to buy, perhaps someone knows the cryptic naming of motherboards these days and sees a better one than the one I chose (pls limit to in stock ones):

The mortar is a great choice for a Ryzen 5 CPU. It can even handle a decent OC on a Ryzen 7.

The CS650M should be fine for this build.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

SSD: Yes, that one is one of the best NVME SSDs right now

CPU: No, not really, I think you should stick to the 3600. Technically the 3600X is better binned which means it should OC better, but the difference is minimal, even less than 100 MHz so you'll never notice that freq increasy in day-to-day use. If you have the money you should buy the 3700X for that matter, at least you get 2 extra cores.

RAM: Yesterday I watched a video from AHOC. "Some noteworthy 4x8, 2x16, 2x8 RAM kits". In that video builzoid says that the best RAM is samsung B die (good samsung B die) because it is excellent in therms of tight timings. I don't know if that kit is B die, I think it is, so in case it is, you should be able to tighten those timings a lot. But I encourage to watch that video as I am not into RAM as much as he is.

AIO: The R5 3600 is a very efficient chip so I think a good 120mm AIO should do the trick, 3rd ryzen doesn't have huge OC magins anyway.

MOBO: Yes, B450M mortar max is a solid motherboard for the price. Again a 3600 doesn't draw tons of power so you don't need a super fancy VRM to run that

PSU: It's an OKeish PSU, at least it has DC-DC. But if you are worrying so much for the rest of the components, you should get yourself a good PSU too. I've seen PSUs like bitfenix whisper M or formula, corsair RMx or be quiet straight power 11 going for less than 100 eur so spending money on a new PSU doesn't hurt that much.

if you add custom cooling, go for the 3600. the main difference between x and non-x is the stock cooler

120mm aio's are worse than most cheap air coolers. either go for 240mm or a decent air cooler with 2 fans.

MSI B450M MORTAR MAX.

great choice.

SSD: samsung 970 EVO plus 500gb NVME m.2

extremely overpriced. any nvme ssd is future proof, given that current games aren't yet bottlenecked even by the cheapest sata drives.

good choice.

45 minutes ago, nutzaalex said:

good enough.

Spor la treaba!

Thanks guys for all the replies! Can't wait to build this!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

1 hour ago, 17030644 said:

RAM: Yesterday I watched a video from AHOC. "Some noteworthy 4x8, 2x16, 2x8 RAM kits". In that video builzoid says that the best RAM is samsung B die (good samsung B die) because it is excellent in therms of tight timings. I don't know if that kit is B die, I think it is, so in case it is, you should be able to tighten those timings a lot. But I encourage to watch that video as I am not into RAM as much as he is.

I checked and it looks like they are Hynix DJR-die, but from a reddit post someone said:

"On the contrary, I heard Samsung B die is no more, and that Hynix D dies are more or less as good out of what's available these days."

so I think it's good enough given that I really don't have many options in RO.

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX - everyone agrees!

AIO: Cooler CPU Noctua NH-D14 will be the choice after:

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

This prompted me to dig some more, sensei Linus tested this indeed here: 

and indeed it does look like 120 AIO are meh, + given that the noctua price is in between my 120 and 240 AIO choices when it comes to price but also solves a minor quesiton I had about fitting the AIO in the case, it became a no brainer!

SSD: I get that it's expensive, but, like last time I upgraded from a kingston hyperx fury to the samsung evo I have now, my same thought process applies: it's one of those components that can be reused in future builds, its insane speed and it has the 3d chip stacking from samsung which renders way more lifespan out of the chips 

Regarding the PSU and GPU, these will be upgraded later down the line, probably at the same time