Is it useless to Overclock r7 3700x?

I stumbled upon a funny website claiming that it's useless to enable PBO or manually overclock an r7 3700x and I was like What???

Seriously why do these websites even exist, just wanted to share it with you guys.

here's that damn link

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/amd-precision-boost-overdrive-auto-overclocking

Do share your opinion on this one!

I mean most Ryzen Chips due to their design cannot be overclocked that much therefore in a lot of cases it doesn't make a lot of sense overclocking one. You could potentially overclock the r7 3700x but again you will get only a minor perfromance boost.

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

I mean most Ryzen Chips due to their design cannot be overclocked that much therefore in a lot of cases it doesn't make a lot of sense overclocking one. You could potentially overclock the r7 3700x but again you will get only a minor perfromance boost.

🤔 Does that mean the benchmarks shown on that site are real?

Because its really a lot different than on the 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen.

On 3rd gen Ryzen it is a hit or miss and it depends on which exact CPU you have and motherboard + BIOS version as well. For my 3900X the PBO is worse than having the CPU on stock. Not only I get less performance by enabling PBO, my CPU is also unstable by doing so and I get constant crashes.

1 minute ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

Most likely, because in a lot of benchmarks there are minor performance performance improvements.

1 hour ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

I quickly skimmed, but I would say so. I have PBO + AutoOC on my 3800x, and it's the  only thing I recommend on Ryzen 3k

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I guess it depends on your workloads and where you want the most performance.  

If you absolutely need the best single-core performance (for whatever it might be) then running PBO or something like the EDC bug will get you the fastest speeds.  EDC bug more than PBO.

If you find that single-core loads can be adequately handled at slightly slower speeds than the fastest single-core speed the EDC bug can give you AND you find your important workloads benefit from all-core speed then a manual overclock is going to be better.  I say that because PBO and the EDC bug won't run all cores at the speed you could dial in manually and you can likely reach speeds 200MHz ~ 400MHz higher with an all-core overclock.  And if you have a 3900X or 3950X than per CCD overclocking is even better.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

I guess it depends on your workloads and where you want the most performance.  

If you absolutely need the best single-core performance (for whatever it might be) then running PBO or something like the EDC bug will get you the fastest speeds.  EDC bug more than PBO.

If you find that single-core loads can be adequately handled at slightly slower speeds than the fastest single-core speed the EDC bug can give you AND you find your important workloads benefit from all-core speed then a manual overclock is going to be better.  I say that because PBO and the EDC bug won't run all cores at the speed you could dial in manually and you can likely reach speeds 200MHz ~ 400MHz higher with an all-core overclock.  And if you have a 3900X or 3950X than per CCD overclocking is even better.  

We are specifically talking about the r7 3700x and It's not just about this site there are other sites as well like this one 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7-3700x-overclocking-benchmarks-performance?amp 

which say that overclocking isn't beneficial particularly with the r7 3700x.

I am quite confused there are several YouTube benchmarking videos as well which claim to have negligible performance gains while being Oc'ed.

Kinda useless, depending on your workload. For gaming better let the boost do it's job so you will get higher single core performance. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

We are specifically talking about the r7 3700x and It's not just about this site there are other sites as well like this one 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/ryzen-7-3700x-overclocking-benchmarks-performance?amp 

which say that overclocking isn't beneficial particularly with the r7 3700x.

I am quite confused there are several YouTube benchmarking videos as well which claim to have negligible performance gains while being Oc'ed.

Everything I said pertains to all Ryzen 3000 CPUs except at the very end where I specifically mentioned the CPUs with two CCDs.  I think I may see the problem here.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, xAcid9 said:

Kinda useless, depending on your workload. For gaming better let the boost do it's job so you will get higher single core performance. 

So you would say that turning on PBO would be good right?

Just now, nick name said:

Everything I said pertains to all Ryzen 3000 CPUs except at the very end where I specifically mentioned the CPUs with two CCDs.  I think I may see the problem here.  

Ohh. That definitely means the website claiming that is just fake. Thanks for helping me out.

58 minutes ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

Ohh. That definitely means the website claiming that is just fake. Thanks for helping me out.

That isn't what I said.  

That site makes no mention (that I saw) of which BIOS version they were running or which AGESA the unknown BIOS is using.  It's also from October.  Those numbers may have been true then, but I couldn't tell you whether they are true now.  Also, they were running a 120 AIO on the CPU.  That ain't really enough to unlock any extra performance.  

I won't say they are lying, but I also wouldn't trust that they can accurately test what they are trying to test.