First PS4 PC

HoganKevin8997

I built a PS4 PC

Hardware list

AsRock H97M-ITX/ac

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770T 2.5 ghz 4 cores 4 threads and can turbo boost up to 3.7ghz  with hyper threading

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GT 1030 GDDR5 2 GB low profile with

PCI-E Express 16x 90 Degree Adapter Riser Card For 1U Computer Server Chassis

16Gb DDR3/DDR3L 1600 ram patriot ram

Athena Power Flex 500 ATX modified , i shortened the 24 pin connector to fit and took the power supply out of its case. 

2 separate solid state drives San disk Ultra II 480GB because there really small when you take them out of there case and a PNY 480GB SSD Drive giving the system a tb of storage space

Windows 7 64 bit installed and fedora

1 24v noctua fan on top the case linked to a step up converter running directly off the pc power supply and a 72 watt step up converter

1 110v thermOcool fan on top of the of the power supply keeping the psu cool running off the wall outlet.  I added 1 other fan just to offset a power surge problem and i added a switch panel but it look better without one in the beginning but for the sake of upgraded the gpu to card that had a fan i had to remove the power plug witch originally i had mounted on the bottom of the case.  It looks like a ps4 from 1 side at least. 

Case mod ghetto style home done...

Cut the bottom out of the PS4 or a square section out of the PS4 then , Take a square piece of plexi glass from home depot and try to make a cut or perfect square to match the size of the ps4 bottom.  Then Paint a border on it and rivet it onto the ps4 bottom.  Take the PS4 center plastic piece and gut it out.  Then glue it into the bottom for stability because there is nothing left.  Make all your mounts for the pc components on the plexi glass piece.  thats how i did to get enough room to fit the components inside cause there is no height with the PS4 and the hardware is still relevant so its hard to beat it.  But my ps4 ghetto pc beat both the ps4 and ps4 pro in bench mark scores with Geek bench 4.  here is the links

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15242133 , https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/4733216, https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/4733213,https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=DG1000FGF84HT,https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=DG1307SML87IB

003.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

014.JPG

016.JPG

025.JPG

I was hopeing you guys would build one but with more money to through at the project and destroy mine.  Or my idea would be to build a pc inside the ps4 pro or original ps4 case that can beat the ps5 specs once there leaked ..

So using the ps4 pro case build a better pc than the ps5 thats is something in future i will try to do like i did here and i built this thing then rebuild then rebuilt again so its has gotten ugly each time but usually it for performance enhancements and easier access for my ghetto looking ps4 but it still resembles a ps4 from 1 side at least.  I knocked it down a few times when i was drunk or of my desk by accident so it messed it up a little but all and all its still a cool pc in a ps4 case.  I hope you like mine and i hope you build yours

-= Moved to Build Logs =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

That spray paint jobs is, well, interesting, And the fans on the top kinda defeat the purpose.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

14 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

That spray paint jobs is, well, interesting, And the fans on the top kinda defeat the purpose.

Thanks did you build one are those your specs above, Yeah the paint isn't that good. 

To build one that looks just like a ps4 normally would cost alot more money you would have to do some sort of laptop or mini desktop pc but i wanted to put a regular desktop power supply inside cause i like beefy power supplies plus i really like to recap power supplies

I put rf and emi filters on everything too I put 2 of them on the system so the 110v is filtered 2 times before it gets to my power supply There ugly but there good for protecting the components.  I had to buy 2 of those motherboards because they fool you with that solid aluminum design crap, Cause the first board i got died probably because of bad caps rated too low.. The capacitors on the board were rated at 2.5 volts aluminum polymer.  I put regular low ESR capacitors on the motherboard that did the trick the second time around with this mother board.  I also had 1 power supply stop working while trying to shorten the rails down on the powers supply by removing them then cutting the wires down then soldering them back in.  That made this build get much more expensive but originally it would have been pretty cheap to do this. You could build this machine with a lower quality power supply and a lower quality processor and save a bundle like 400 or 500 or 350 $ if you wanted.  

it is save it has 2 layers of protection emi to switch to another emi then to my power supply.  I made a ghetto switch panel.  I wired it up with double wiring and its insulated with glue and electrical tape.  So emi rf filter to a 250v rated switch then to a another emi filter then finally the 110v gets to my power supply then to my pc system.  i acrylic conformal coated it too.  I also have another emi filter on my surge protector as well i put on there myself.  The system has 3 power filters cuttingout interference.  I put larger capacitors on the power supply that are low ESR and on the mother board as Well with larger higher rated capacitors low esr.  I used glue hot glue for insallation on everything.  I has been surprisingly sturdy after i modded it a few times.  I even tool this little itx board and cleaned it with simple green and water and backed it in my oven then recapped the entire thing again.  I recapped this motherboard 3 times.  And it still works really well.  I acrylic conformal coated and glued everything.  At least i did the first time around. 

25 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

yeah, that doesn't look safe.

It is safe as its gonna get plus im an experienced adult not a kid. 

1 minute ago, HoganKevin8997 said:

It is safe as its gonna get plus im an experienced adult not a kid. 

I have modded a bunch of stuff like this or wired ghetto plugs like this alot.  its just a power plug and some switches. 

How you would you do it safer? 

2 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

You won't think it's safe when it electrocutes you.

How would you have built it safer?

That thing looks dangerous as hell...Not trying to be negative, it just doesn't look safe. Wires are tangled everywhere, you're using a highly questionable PSU, electrical tape covering live connections, heat sinks that appear to make contact with the plastic case.

I would HIGHLY suggest really looking this over and contemplating whether this is worth potentially burning your house down or worse. You could probably purchase a proper small case (or they may even have cases that look like a ps4) and do this much more safely. I'm not sure what kind of games you want to play - this hardware won't be able to emulate ps4, or ps3 for that matter. You COULD buy something like a raspberry pi 4, which should easily fit in that case and retro game with it...I believe they can emulate ps1, n64, nes, snes games.

5 hours ago, steelo said:

That thing looks dangerous as hell...Not trying to be negative, it just doesn't look safe. Wires are tangled everywhere, you're using a highly questionable PSU, electrical tape covering live connections, heat sinks that appear to make contact with the plastic case.

I would HIGHLY suggest really looking this over and contemplating whether this is worth potentially burning your house down or worse. You could probably purchase a proper small case (or they may even have cases that look like a ps4) and do this much more safely. I'm not sure what kind of games you want to play - this hardware won't be able to emulate ps4, or ps3 for that matter. You COULD buy something like a raspberry pi 4, which should easily fit in that case and retro game with it...I believe they can emulate ps1, n64, nes, snes games.

It has run fine for awhile now over a year without much of any problem.  Plastic is non conductive flexible material.  My system is mounted to a piece of lexor plexi glass.  Who cares if its safe... anway its a PC working inside a ps4 case.  As long as your gentle with it everything would be fine.  Using hardware that you have suggested would not yield the benchmark scores that defeat both the ps4 and the ps4 pro.  The point of this project was to build a pc inside a ps4 case to beat the ps4 and ps4 pro.  That would have defeated the purpose of my project.  I put a regular desktop or mini desktop pc inside a console case.  It is safe did you bother to read my descriptions of what i did to my system here.  Glue and electrical tape is a insulating material that is non conductive.  My pc parts are mounted to stand offs witch are threaded into a piece of plexi glass.  There not just sitting inside there.  There mounted with significant space between the plastic and the motherboard.  The heatsink is mounted to stand offs.  You guys are morons with this safe crap.  Its a pc console build, its about getting the system to fit and run by any means nessasary while trying to maintain the look of an original ps4 witch i have down well or at least i did in the beginning , then over time i made changes that made it look less like a ps4 console.  more holes , then it looks weird.  Any more holes and it would look nothing like a ps4 anymore.  Check the bench mark scores on the system.  It's surprising sturdy and balanced dispite the awkward components inside.  it stands up on its own nicely and won't fall over easily.  You would be surprised on how well the system performs and it runs really cool its has a low power components inside.  It doesn't get very hot.  I modified it so it would not. 

The components are mounted to stand offs witch are threaded into a piece of plexi glass The heat sink is mounted to stand offs. 

I have had the system run through many gaming sections and everything works fine. 

I even got drunk and knocked it off my desk more than once onto the floor and the system still works.  Its safe as its going to get.  Trying to cram all those components inside a ps4.  I mean there is hardly any room in there to be safe.  I tried my best to keep that way.  But i mean really there isn't much you can do without having something custom made. 

5 hours ago, steelo said:

The system can play any windows based steam game and it can use PSNOW subscription and play any ps4 title if i had a ps4 as well but i don't.  As for ps3 emulation it can do that too through a ps now subscription. Or the ps3 emulator,  I can emulate all the older consoles as well.  Plus it can play my ultimate favorite starcraft II and starcraft legacy of the void.  I could play anything on here really as long as it has been ported to pc or emulated.  Plus its a Powerful PC check my bench mark scores its a very power efficient setup i put inside in my defense.  The processor only uses 45 TDP and my gpu is really low wattage like 30 watts.  Trying new thing isn't about being safe. 

I want someone to do one of these and build a better one with more money to use on the project.  That the take away i wanted to get from people.  I wanted linus team to build a way better than mine.  The system is pretty safe and very sturdy and performs very well during long gaming sections.  Im happy gaming with it.  And i always wanted to play starcraft using a ps4 without having to spend 500 $ on a jail broken ps4 so to me this was a better choice was to just build a pc inside the ps4

12 minutes ago, HoganKevin8997 said:

The system can play any windows based steam game and it can use PSNOW subscription and play any ps4 title if i had a ps4 as well but i don't.  As for ps3 emulation it can do that too through a ps now subscription. Or the ps3 emulator,  I can emulate all the older consoles as well.  Plus it can play my ultimate favorite starcraft II and starcraft legacy of the void.  I could play anything on here really as long as it has been ported to pc or emulated.  Plus its a Powerful PC check my bench mark scores its a very power efficient setup i put inside in my defense.  The processor only uses 45 TDP and my gpu is really low wattage like 30 watts.  Trying new thing isn't about being safe. 

What exactly would burn the house down?  Seriously your backing the other person on here... You have no idea what is safe or isn't in this system. I put it together and i do.  I can tell you everthing is fine with it.  Everything is mounted and insulated well.  So again what exactly do you think would catch fire after the 110v passes through 3 emi and rf filters before the power ever reaches my power supply then i modded that power supply with larger low esr capacitors and the motherboard with larger low esr capacitors.  Its only a 500 watt flex atx, and the system doesn't even use all that.  Its a very power efficient computer.  I didn't put the power sucking components in the system i used something a little on the lower cooler side on purpose cause there is no room in the case for all the heat to go. 

24 minutes ago, HoganKevin8997 said:

What exactly would burn the house down?  Seriously your backing the other person on here... You have no idea what is safe or isn't in this system. I put it together and i do.  I can tell you everthing is fine with it.  Everything is mounted and insulated well.  So again what exactly do you think would catch fire after the 110v passes through 3 emi and rf filters before the power ever reaches my power supply then i modded that power supply with larger low esr capacitors and the motherboard with larger low esr capacitors.  Its only a 500 watt flex atx, and the system doesn't even use all that.  Its a very power efficient computer.  I didn't put the power sucking components in the system i used something a little on the lower cooler side on purpose cause there is no room in the case for all the heat to go. 

Plastic is flammable, isnt it? As far as beating ps4 specs...you're not going to do that with a gt 1030...if Im not mistaken, the closest comparable gpu is a rx 480...anyways, its pointless to argue...you've had several comments that this system looks to be unsafe. We arent trying to knock you down, just open your eyes that this thing can potentially be a safety hazard.

Here is another idea i have had success with in the past with a ps4.  The disc drives or blue ray drives are all starting too go out in the original ps4s now.  So i decided to take the disc drive out and use a second fan instead.  I also put a larger flex atx power supply inside the original ps4.  I call this the ps4 Fish bowl mod.  So if you duplicated call it the fish bowl mod.  You have to keep the paired ps4 disc drive board otherwise you won't be able to update the system though.  But there you go this is my idea for a dual fan ps4 that will run twice as cool.  Cut a hole where the disc drive used to be that probably doesn't work anymore anyway.  and put another ps4 fan in there.  I never paralleled the fans though using the original sony power supply but that was suggested to me by someone i would know to be an expert with sony products to be possible.  I used a flex atx power supply to power my ps4 with 2 fans in it.  The issue i had was updating so i abandoned this simple fan upgrade after i had gotten it to work.  Cause i didn't plan on keeping the sister motherboard so you can still update the sony firmware.  So if you do this to your system you have to keep the sony daughter motherboard witch is paried with the cpu and is located on top of the disc drive.  Otherwise you won't be able to update your system.  This idea would be awesome for a jailbroken ps4 user to try and imporve the colling an assistant fan that fits inside perfectly.  Like the alienware steam machine.  Call it the fish bowl ps4 fan modd. 

007.JPG

008.JPG

I also suggest you spray paint the case to offset the uglyness of the case modd but you can completely pain those fans cause there sealed well.  With no masking even.  except on the plug