Two audio sources and one audio destination, looking for input

MrFisc
I have this annoying problem that I'm trying to solve, I thought maybe someone here might have some input.

I used to play games on PC, so most of the people I play with are on PC. I'm stuck gaming on a PS4, but i still exclusively play with people that are on PC (through cross platform games such as Rocket League and COD:MW2019.) This means that I generally use discord on my phone with one Air Pod in my right ear, and my over-the-ear headphones connected to my PS4 controller via a wire for my game audio.

This has become a problem lately with how bad a single airpod's microphone is, so no one is able to hear me very well.

What I'd really love is the ability to have both my PS4s audio and my Phones audio work with ONE audio device, for both input and output.

The PS4 only works with very select Bluetooth audio devices, or through a device that is plugged into the bottom of the controller via a cable.

Right now my thought is to find (or make) a device that can plug into the bottom of the PS4's controller, but has an on-board bluetooth adapter (or perhaps I'd need two on board bluetooth adapters)

My idea for this right now is:

• "Magic Device" plugs into the PS4 controller via a cable. My audio in gets sent to this device and i receive audio out from this device.
  • "Magic Device" connects to my phone via Bluetooth. My audio in gets sent to this device and i receive audio out from this device.
  • My selected audio device (airpods, other bluetooth device) connect to the "Magic Device" via a second bluetooth device. I receive audio out through this device and i send audio in via this device.
  • There would need to be some sort of logic running that manages these audio streams and sends them to the right places

I think the whole thing could be simplified with three on board 3.5mm audio jacks instead of having two on-board bluetooth devices

• My headphones with an inline microphone would connect to one jack. It would RECEIVE audio in and SEND audio out.
  • The other two jacks would RECEIVE audio out and SEND audio in the the devices connected to them.

I feel like using the 3.5mm set up would probably be simpler for this.

I also figure that some sort of Raspberry Pie would probably work well for this, although I have no idea which one since I've never worked with a raspberry pie before. If it requires some software solution for properly directing the audio streams, that isn't beyond me. I have worked a lot with hardware level software development in the past. 

I may also be over thinking this and there is likely some off the shelf solution that could provide what I want. But if there is, I'd either want it to support full wireless (or at least mostly wireless and just plug into the PS4), or be small enough to sit in my lap while I game.

I'm open to suggestions and solutions. Would really just love to make this happen.

This is my current idea, just as a purely wired prototype.  Please keep in mind that I'm in no way familiar with electrical engineering, so this is likely just a very high level overview of what I want to do.

image.thumb.png.4313498b05db5690d59ae7d6d94c5e55.png

I put a few minutes into learning EasyEDA and found that this might be how this would be accomplished. The two LM358_1 and LM358_2 circuits should act as Summing Circuits for the stereo out audio. (I hope). Again, I'm not an electrical engineer. This is just after a day of researching this a little bit.

image.thumb.png.3a70e76c17029994e16c28dbc9e3e446.png

@MrFisc

Would a 4-pole Y-Splitter not work? Output from Discord and PS4 connected to each 'Y' branch, and then your headset plugged into the 'Y' base?

Like this little duderino:

Spoiler

513NNzeso6L.jpg.fd5ecc2130ea30dcbb70e8e03c75df98.jpg

And then male-to-male connectors to the PS4 controller and phone, and female-to-female connectors to the headset. Prolly not the most elegant solution, but a hundred times easier, I would think.

Like these:

Spoiler

s-l300.jpg.1bd913c4bf842c191bb71d91c042f2a9.jpg

5269_large.jpg.86d3f69fe2ba6ace86f528f99a4ed00a.jpg

Edited by The1Dickens
Tagging OP
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

On 4/2/2020 at 4:59 AM, The1Dickens said:

Would a 4-pole Y-Splitter not work? Output from Discord and PS4 connected to each 'Y' branch, and then your headset plugged into the 'Y' base?

You can do passive summing.

I did that before for stereo to mono to go into a single channel amp.

You use resistors though.

On 4/1/2020 at 3:59 PM, The1Dickens said:

@MrFisc

Like this little duderino:

Hide contents

513NNzeso6L.jpg.fd5ecc2130ea30dcbb70e8e03c75df98.jpg

And then male-to-male connectors to the PS4 controller and phone, and female-to-female connectors to the headset. Prolly not the most elegant solution, but a hundred times easier, I would think.

Like these:

Reveal hidden contents

s-l300.jpg.1bd913c4bf842c191bb71d91c042f2a9.jpg

5269_large.jpg.86d3f69fe2ba6ace86f528f99a4ed00a.jpg

The biggest issue I imagine i'll run into is that the PS4 is OMTP and the phone uses CTIA. (The ground and microphone rings are swapped on the connector). So i don't know if an off the shelf solution would be able to accommodate this. 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, MrFisc said:

The biggest issue I imagine i'll run into is that the PS4 is OMTP and the phone uses CTIA. (The ground and microphone rings are swapped on the connector). So i don't know if an off the shelf solution would be able to accommodate this. 

I guess if you are willing  to build your own circuit just resoldering an AUX cable should be an option ^^.

Something like this should work for you, there are other similar things available.
https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-MX400-Ultra-compact-Channels-Adapter/dp/B06WD1DK69/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=ammoon+mixer&qid=1586057709&sr=8-6

You would have to hook up the two channels from the PS4 and one channel from the smartphone. If you wanna go wireless (which I wouldn't recommend) you could use cheap Bluetooth to AUX Dongles which you connect with PS4 and smartphone and wire them to the mixer.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, MrFisc said:

Buy two splitters, one CTIA for your phone and one OMTP for the PS4.

Sabrent 3.5mm Combo Headset to Microphone and Headphone CB-AUHM

Then use a regular 3 pole aux splitter to connect the two outputs together and another for the two mic inputs together.

3.5mm Female Stereo Males Y Cable | Computer Cable Store

Now you can connect a regular headset to the two 3.5mm plugs you have and it will be connected to both devices at once.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020