ATR 2500 vs AT2020usb

ElazulTF2

I dont know why my topic got deleted. Anyway, I'm wondering what is the real difference between those two as they look and sound from what I could hear the same. Is the ATR2500 a good one bang for the buck ? Is the AT2020usb worth the extra 50$ ?

I'm doing gameplay commentaries and love the deep sound of Audiotechnica usb microphones, but I reall wonder if a atr2500 is any good for that.

Thanks

Intel i5 4670_MSI Z87-G43_2x4Gb DDR Kingston HyperX Beast_Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC_Corsair Carbide 300R Window_120Gb SSD Samsung Evo_1Tb WD Caviar Black_Corsair CX750 w_BenQ XL2720T_CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo_Razer Blackwidow 2013_Razer Deathadder Black_ATH-AD700 Headphones_ATR2500 Cardoid Microphone

Why don't you look at the Blue Yeti? Slightly better quality than the AT2020.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I dont know why my topic got deleted. Anyway, I'm wondering what is the real difference between those two as they look and sound from what I could hear the same. Is the ATR2500 a good one bang for the buck ? Is the AT2020usb worth the extra 50$ ?

I'm doing gameplay commentaries and love the deep sound of Audiotechnica usb microphones, but I reall wonder if a atr2500 is any good for that.

Thanks

Go for the 2500, its a alright mic and represents a good value. 

Why don't you look at the Blue Yeti? Slightly better quality than the AT2020.

Well I really dont like how the snowball and yeti look like, besides I have heard the difference between the yeti and the 2020 and the 2020 is a  lot closer to what im trying to achieve with a mic.

EmoRarity thanks for your opinion, I almost never see anyone saying good things about the 2500.

Intel i5 4670_MSI Z87-G43_2x4Gb DDR Kingston HyperX Beast_Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC_Corsair Carbide 300R Window_120Gb SSD Samsung Evo_1Tb WD Caviar Black_Corsair CX750 w_BenQ XL2720T_CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo_Razer Blackwidow 2013_Razer Deathadder Black_ATH-AD700 Headphones_ATR2500 Cardoid Microphone

Well I really dont like how the snowball and yeti look like, besides I have heard the difference between the yeti and the 2020 and the 2020 is a  lot closer to what im trying to achieve with a mic.

EmoRarity thanks for your opinion, I almost never see anyone saying good things about the 2500.

Its not that expensive, there is not much to say. 

I dont have experience with the 2500 but i think its pretty good, i do have a at2020usb and its really good, both are good choices imo 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I dont have experience with the 2500 but i think its pretty good, i do have a at2020usb and its really good, both are good choices imo 

Do you have any idea about the technical differences between the two ?

Do you have any idea about the technical differences between the two ?

I do not, but if youre interested i did a lot of research between the AT2020usb and the Yeti and i chose the at2020usb, warmer sound, deeper and picked up slightly less ambient noise 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I do not, but if youre interested i did a lot of research between the AT2020usb and the Yeti and i chose the at2020usb, warmer sound, deeper and picked up slightly less ambient noise 

Thats why I dont hesitate between those, of all the sound sample Ive heard from both, Audiotechnica really has something for deep sound and less noise.

Still unsure about the differences between 2500 and 2020 though :P

Gah I posted during the server issues but the post was wiped away! 

The 2020 is simply a better mic capsule with a wider frequency response and I'm sure other factors.  Not really needed for voice, but for recording instruments it'd be useful.

Gah I posted during the server issues but the post was wiped away! 

The 2020 is simply a better mic capsule with a wider frequency response and I'm sure other factors.  Not really needed for voice, but for recording instruments it'd be useful.

So if I understand correctly, the ATR2500 will have almost the same voice sound as the 2020 ?

So if I understand correctly, the ATR2500 will have almost the same voice sound as the 2020 ?

Unless you have an unusually deep boomy voice, yes.

Don't buy usb if you want best audio quality. Buy a at2020(xlr) with a blue icicle.

What do you base this off?

What do you base this off?

The internal converter in the microphone is not the best. It degrades the audio a bit. Having a external xlr to usb for a higher price is the way to go. While it may see it inconvenient to do this you will get better quality. I'm not saying that the usb at2020 is a bad mic. It's not. There is a reason why audio professionals don't use usb mics.

The internal converter in the microphone is not the best. It degrades the audio a bit. Having a external xlr to usb for a higher price is the way to go. While it may see it inconvenient to do this you will get better quality. I'm not saying that the usb at2020 is a bad mic. It's not. There is a reason why audio professionals don't use usb mics.

Audio professionals don't use USB mics because they don't use PC's in the first place. They often use a series of mixers and EQ's between analog mics and the ADC, but that doesn't mean the ADC built into USB mics is inferior. A dedicated audio interface will give you more features that may come in handy during recording sessions, but for pure quality when recording a YouTube video there'd be little difference.

Audio professionals don't use USB mics because they don't use PC's in the first place. They often use a series of mixers and EQ's between analog mics and the ADC, but that doesn't mean the ADC built into USB mics is inferior. A dedicated audio interface will give you more features that may come in handy during recording sessions, but for pure quality when recording a YouTube video there'd be little difference.

A at2020 and blue icicle is $130 on amazon or a MXL Mic Mate is $10 less on amazon. A at2020 usb is $130 on amazon. For the same price why not go for the better option?

A at2020 and blue icicle is $130 on amazon or a MXL Mic Mate is $10 less on amazon. A at2020 usb is $130 on amazon. For the same price why not go for the better option?

You haven't even established that it is the better option. It's more bulky for one.

You haven't even established that it is the better option. It's more bulky for one.

not really. Its a small extension that can be tucked away behind your desk. Or it can be plugged directly into the mic. Its a very small adapter that takes up virtually no room. Its like complaining your phone is 1mm thicker then your friends. It's the better option because it is better sound quality. If you want to be a professional youtuber you should consider using professional equipment. To someone that is trained they hear the difference. And I admit most people won't notice. If you have the option why not start off the best you can instead of just doing whats a bit more convenient. I'v had usb mics before, I recomend mics like the m-audio producer microphone for very budget times, it's a wonderful mic for only $50 but when you have more room why not get the best. I currently use a at2035 and a Line 6 UX2 interface. Yes its a bit overkill for what I do but the fact that I know i provide the best quality I can is better then me providing the best ok quality. 

Thanks for your comments it helps me understand the differences between those mics.

I was also wondering if a mechanical keyboard was a problem ? I have the razer blackwidow and I don't know if, even placed behind the microphone, people will be able to hear me type on it.
Thanks.

It's the better option because it is better sound quality.

:rolleyes: Again, something you have not established. Outside of claiming it as some sort of well-known truth, you haven't actually proven that the USB interface built into USB mics is indeed inferior.

I was also wondering if a mechanical keyboard was a problem ? I have the razer blackwidow and I don't know if, even placed behind the microphone, people will be able to hear me type on it.

Most likely they will hear it. Push-To-Talk master race!

:rolleyes: Again, something you have not established. Outside of claiming it as some sort of well-known truth, you haven't actually proven that the USB interface built into USB mics is indeed inferior.

Most likely they will hear it. Push-To-Talk master race!

You guys seem to have quite different  thoughts about it, but I think I'll go with the atr2500 with a pop filter. I see pretty nice prices on amazon but the at2020 doesnt go very far from it's main price. Thanks for your opinions.