How to Connect a laptop to Windows Server 2016

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, victorhndz123 said:

how can i disable nat ?

could you please guide me trought that ? 

And we have lot of phones and tablets conected to the wifi will that make anything stop working? 

There shiould be a option to change the virtual network adatper to bridged to the port on the system.

Won't affect ofther system on wifi.

Hello Guys! 

Im brand new to the community, i have a problem i have been pulling my hair out for the past 2 weeks, i have done tons of research but no luck.

I built a Windows Server 2016 through VMWare Workstation 15

I made a Domain with the name of Homesrvr.local

I have a static IP 

IPv4 192.168.65.150

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.65.2

Then DNS 

If a make another VMWorksation running  Windows 10 Pro and on DNS i type the IP of the server it joins beautifully without any problems, but here is the problem 

I grab my old laptop and is running windows 10 pro and i try to join the domain over "wifi" using DNS as the IP of Homesrvr.local (192.168.65.150) i get the error that i get nightmares with "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain “homesrvr” could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly

An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain “homesrvr.local” could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly

I tried to ping it using ping command on cmd ping 192.168.65.150 but request times out. 

Even if i used Ethernet it will not connect 

My Laptop Reads after running "ipconfig /all" on cmd

IPv4 192.168.65.142

DNS "192.168.65.1"

i have tried tons on things but nothing works 

How can i join the domain using wifi?

Plese Help!!!!!!

How is the vmware network setup? Are you using nat in there, is there a virtual switch?

3 minutes ago, victorhndz123 said:

tried to ping it using ping command on cmd ping 192.168.65.150 but request times out. 

This makes me think there is nat being used on the vm or a firewall that is in place.

Just now, victorhndz123 said:

Do you think that if i disable firewall it will work?

How is the network for the vms setup? Is there a nat?

yes i believe there is a nat 

i pucrhased a network switch from amzn and hooked it up the router where i have the main computer where im setting up the server a tv and ps4

yes i believe there is a nat 

i pucrhased a network switch from amzn and hooked it up the router where i have the main computer where im setting up the server a tv and ps4

nat will make it so it can't be pinged, disable the nat.

Buying the switch won't solve this issue.

how can i disable nat ?

And we have lot of phones and tablets conected to the wifi will that make anything stop working? 

how can i disable nat ?

There shiould be a option to change the virtual network adatper to bridged to the port on the system.

Won't affect ofther system on wifi.

well if your DNS is showing as 192.168.65.1 in ipconfig then theres your problem. 

So is 192.168.65.0/24 your primary network?  Or are only your VMware VM's in that IP address range?

For this setup they need to be in the same subnet. So as Electronics Wizardry pointed out, unless you're using VLANs and doing advanced configuration, you need to set the VMs network to Bridged Mode. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How is the vmware network setup? Are you using nat in there, is there a virtual switch?

This makes me think there is nat being used on the vm or a firewall that is in place.

oh yea it's NAT, Vmware NAT is a pain in the ass usually causing more problems then solutions.

it's good for certain situations and configurations but it can make you very angry very quickly.

unless you are using it for securitery or other reasons then you shouldn't be using it for a basic test.

get the network up and running without NAT then add it once you know for sure it works without it.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Why is the VM and your laptop not sharing the same Default Gateway/DNS?

If this is an issue with NAT the VM is on a different subnet to your local network. The easiest option to fix this is to set the VM's adapter to Bridged Mode. This will make it share the LAN connection the Host uses through a virtual switch.

Without this the VM can only talk to the Internet and other VMs on the same virtual switch.

Ok im so grateful now it prompts me for the user credentials wich are

HOMESERVER\Administrator

Password

upon submit this pops up

BB13AB23-4E8B-48E7-9E28-9817D5757659.jpeg