7970 reference is noisy

ryanshimia

I bought a visiontek reference 7970 with my PC build. i realized it was noisy, but compared to my friends, it's like a freaking monster. is there any way i can keep it cooler and/or quiter? i got a haf 922 case with front and side intake and top and back exhaust. thanks

watercool it :D

nah kidding.

you can look at an alternative cooler like the http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail/index/sArticle/502/sCategory/2182 which will perform better.

and yes, i know. that stock cooler sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

thanks for the help, i know of the arctic cooler but i dont have the money to get it. i want to know if there is any way i can like adjust my fans or something like that

yeah you can try and set an other fan profile but that is about it and your card will run hotter.

try msi afterburner for a diffrent fan profile.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

yeah you can try and set an other fan profile but that is about it and your card will run hotter.

i set a pretty good fan profile and i have an underclock to 825 core 1450 Vram. it helped but its still noisy, do you know any noise dampening tricks for a haf 922?

Get a pair of closed headphones, or just turn your games / music / tv volume up :p

Fill your case up with noise dampening foam from the local hardware shop.

There isn't to many things you can do about it but part from the above suggestions.

Get a pair of closed headphones, or just turn your games / music / tv volume up :p
other people in my house complain

thx for the help

Thats exactly why I didn't go for the big sale on the reference card, I would rather not have my computer sound like a vacuum.

Stock coolers are noisy and run hot.

The only point on buying a reference card is if you are planning to watercool it.

About lowering the noise, i dont think theres much you can do about it.

Custom fan profile in afterburner. That's what i do, works well enough but its not perfectly silent, As for sound dampening foam, don't bother it doesn't make that much of a difference. Still they are amazing cards so you could pick up an after market cooler when you have the money. You could also try undervolting the card to help reduce temps and in turn noise.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

download AMD Engine, go to Overdrive, tick the "enable overdrive" checkbox and turn fanspeed down to 20-27% - my 6970 runs fine at that and I have seen 3DGM take a 7970 down to 20% and run a stress test only hitting 69-72*C which is perfect, as the card runs up to 80*C