Just Ordered beardynamics DT 880 250 ohms

INFINITE Z3RO

I Just ordered the Dt 880 250 ohm headphones, and wanted to know if i need a AMP for my PC. My PC has a Realtek ALC887 audio chipset in it.

My Profile has my specs.

I Just ordered the Dt 880 250 ohm headphones, and wanted to know if i need a AMP for my PC. My PC has a Realtek ALC887 audio chipset in it.

I would get a FiiO e10

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I would get a FiiO e10

So U are saying I will need a Amp ?

My Profile has my specs.

If they are like the DT 990s then you won't need one but it would be preferable to have one.

Quote me to get a reply!

Yep.

Edit: Well, yea, for nice quality. You dont need one to use them though.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Yep.

If they are like the DT 990s then you won't need one but it would be preferable to have one.

Ok I will order a amp next week probably

My Profile has my specs.

Nope i use mine with the onboard sound on my Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition. 

Yep.

Not technically, they should run to their fullest off onboard just fine, if they don't (which you can find out after they arrive) then get an E10, not before. 

How would you judge, after listening, if you need an amp or not?

How would you judge, after listening, if you need an amp or not?

Is it loud enough for your personal tastes? If not, you need an amp.

The music will get loud enough with on board, but quality amps are not all about volume, they are about control.  By using the on board audio you are not utilizing your headphone to their potential, and I guarantee that your headphones will sound more detailed with an AMP than without.  I would also recommend an external DAC the internal DAC on your computer is subject to a lot of noise.  I would recommend O2+ODAC, or Schiit magni+modi for DAC+ AMP combos.

The music will get loud enough with on board, but quality amps are not all about volume, they are about control.  By using the on board audio you are not utilizing your headphone to their potential, and I guarantee that your headphones will sound more detailed with an AMP than without.  I would also recommend an external DAC the internal DAC on your computer is subject to a lot of noise.  I would recommend O2+ODAC, or Schiit magni+modi for DAC+ AMP combos.

Actually, an amp is nothing BUT volume. 

I'm gonna have to ask you to back up your claims of control with some kind of scientific explanation. Mostly I ask this because I know you can't, but it's always funny watching someone try.

An amp is not just an amp. Amps can indeed change the sound quite a bit.  Best basic example would be A vs A/B amps: Class A is a single ended, which means it is essentially 'pushing' the speaker, while A/B is pushing and pulling the speaker back and forth. A/B Allows for much more control this way, hence why it is so much more efficient and why it can handle the high/low frequencies better. Contrast this to Class-A which just pushes, and doesn't 'pull' the speaker circuit back. So yes, it isn't just about power figures, rather also which type of amp is being used (Class A, A/B, D), and how well it handles all this, which can be effected by the circuitry used.

A great article on the science behind Class A and A/B amps can be found here: http://mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA-WebVersion.htm

As far as the original question: The onboard audio on those ASUS ROG boards are not bad for onboard audio. Try it, see if you like it, and if you do not, then consider upgrading. It should be powerful enough to drive the Beyer's.

class A pushes and pulls the speaker, it just does it with 1 section, a/b does it with 1 positive and 1 negative section.

a vs a/b shouldn't sound different, the only difference should be

the class a will run hotter and be less efficient. (assuming you aren't overdriving or underpowering the amps)

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

As far as the original question: The onboard audio on those ASUS ROG boards are not bad for onboard audio. Try it, see if you like it, and if you do not, then consider upgrading. It should be powerful enough to drive the Beyer's.

OP doesn't even have an ASUS board

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

A/B Allows for much more control this way, hence why it is so much more efficient and why it can handle the high/low frequencies better. 

It should be powerful enough to drive the Beyer's.

Someone needs to retake physics class.

1. Efficiency != Control

• total electrical pressure is the difference in voltage between two points
  • 10 - 0 = 10
  • 5 - (-5) = 10
  • it doesn't matter what amount is pulling and what amount is pushing, the electrons will still flow in the same amount of current 

2. Amps are not powerful, they are pressure-ful. To say an amp is powerful is to say it consumes power and that is not true. Headphones "draw" or "consume" power and turn it into sound, but an amp produces nothing (except heat due to inefficiencies).

So you are telling me that the difference people are hearing between different amps is nothing but a placebo effect?

Also, it is best not to argue over terminology. I understand single ended still pulls, just in a very inefficient way, whereas A/B has a dedicated circuit to pull. The point is how well the circuit can control these.

So you are telling me that the difference people are hearing between different amps is nothing but a placebo effect?

Oh no, many "audiophile" amps intentionally color the sound just to sound different. Whether that's a good thing or not is another argument I suppose.

Also, it is best not to argue over terminology. I understand single ended still pulls, just in a very inefficient way, whereas A/B has a dedicated circuit to pull. The point is how well the circuit can control these.

Why would anyone produce a circuit that cannot control it self? It's not like it's hard to accomplish an amplifier that works as intended.

Oh no, many "audiophile" amps intentionally color the sound just to sound different. Whether that's a good thing or not is another argument I suppose.

Why would anyone produce a circuit that cannot control it self? It's not like it's hard to accomplish an amplifier that works as intended.

Why would anyone want an old car that gets less than 10MPG, is stupidly unsafe, slow, big (but less useable space), can't take a corner to save it's life, much less stop when they can get a new car for less than half the price that does everything better? Sure, at the time it was designed like that because no one knew better, and was cutting edge for the time, but we all had the start somewhere, and technology quickly advanced past that.

People still buy them though, collect them, and swear by the car to their dying day for no logical reason, other than they like the sound, looks, culture, and just the way it makes them feel. If having older, obsolete stuff make someone feel better than the newer stuff, leaving them happy, then how can anyone say it is truly irrelevant. So long as there is a market, and people can make money off that market, then a product will be produced. I see nothing wrong with this.

Back to the original argument, I mistaked "Panda of the Shadow" saying he had the Rampage board as opposed to the OP. My bad. To answer your question then OP, while it isn't 'required' that you get a dedicated amp, it would honestly be foolish not to if you to get the most out of those headphones.

Skirting the argument? Yedou asked a question, and I answered it.

Right, because that wasn't a rhetorical question at all.

Look, all I'm asking you to do is prove that a dedicated amp audibly improves the sound over a correctly-implemented run-of-the-mill realtek chip. That IS what you're claiming, right?

You said you know the lingo, I know I know the lingo, so it's not like you have to start from the ground up - if you're so certain of your claim then this'll be easy. :)