Ryzen 3600 overheating?

Go to solution Solved by Joe Schmo,

I don't have another CPU or MOBO. After talking with tech support of both companies, I'm RMAing the CPU :(
Great time to be without my rig, during a quarantine...

I've only ever had Intel before. Upgrade my last one, I5 Gen3, with a better aircooler and got about 65C when gaming.

This Ryzen 3600 on a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max with stock cooler is hitting the 90's while running Folding at Home or DOOM. 

I've always heard Ryzen runs hot but this seems to be pushing the 95C limit a little close right?

Ryzen-3600-temps.PNG

3 minutes ago, Joe Schmo said:

I've only ever had Intel before. Upgrade my last one, I5 Gen3, with a better aircooler and got about 65C when gaming.

This Ryzen 3600 on a MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max with stock cooler is hitting the 90's while running Folding at Home or DOOM. 

I've always heard Ryzen runs hot but this seems to be pushing the 95C limit a little close right?

Ryzen-3600-temps.PNG

thats a problem. even though the stock amd cooler isnt amazing, it should be able to cool up to a 3800x no problem. did you apply theremal paste?

ps. 3rd gen ryzen runs cooler than intel i believe

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

I just used the pre-applied thermal paste. Screwed it down snug.

If I'm going to redo it, I might as well upgrade the air cooler and thermal paste. Any recommendation? I haven't looked at coolers and paste in 5 years.

Ryzen actually usually runs cooler than its intel competition.

Re-mount your cooler. make sure you're screwing the screws until they stop, and that there's thermal paste between the cooler and CPU.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

the stock settings are mostly too hot for zen 2, just apply a -.05v cpu voltage offset and performance should be the same, while shaving 10C off the temps.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 minute ago, Joe Schmo said:

If I'm going to redo it, I might as well upgrade the air cooler and thermal paste. Any recommendation? I haven't looked at coolers and paste in 5 years.

For thermal paste, really mostly anything is fine. (1-2C difference)

You can probably reuse your existing cooler on Ryzen with a mounting bracket, but if not then a normal single-tower cooler will be good. Cryorig H7, Arctic Esports 34, Hyper 212 I guess?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

6 minutes ago, Joe Schmo said:

good that you didnt apply more. just remount and apply pressure evenly. recommendations would be a hyper 212 or any name brand single tower cooler. if youve got the cash, maybe an aio. i got a 240mm corsair aio on my 3600x, and it never hits 70c even with a heavy oc. again any recognizable brand will do for paste

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

10 minutes ago, Joe Schmo said:

I might as well upgrade the air cooler and thermal paste. Any recommendation? I haven't looked at coolers and paste in 5 years.

I mean yeah might as well, it's better for temps and noise. As you said yourself the 95°C is max temp specified by AMD so I wouldn't run it around there at all. I'm using an arctic cooler 34 esports duo, which gets the job done (about 65-70°C under full load). I bought it refurbished from arctics ebay account so it was really cheap only 20€. If you want the most silent and great performance it is the Noctua NH-D15, also expensive though. I heard good things in that regard about the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B as a budget option. I couldn't pass up on the used deal though :D

27 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

good that you didnt apply more. just remount and apply pressure evenly. recommendations would be a hyper 212 or any name brand single tower cooler. if youve got the cash, maybe an aio. i got a 240mm corsair aio on my 3600x, and it never hits 70c even with a heavy oc. again any recognizable brand will do for paste

The stock coolers on Ryzen are usually pretty reliable.

Wouldn't anything even remotely along the lines of a 212 evo simply be a side grade and not make sense?

1 minute ago, qxa said:

Wouldn't anything even remotely along the lines of a 212 evo simply be a side grade and not make sense?

ya, but you gotta give people options

2 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

ya, but you gotta give people options

I suppose, but the options won't actually change anything -it seems to me like buying most air coolers ( like under $40 ) instead of just using the stock one on Ryzen is throwing money into the wind as the difference shouldn't be all that large. If you're upgrading from stock Ryzen cooler it only makes sense to go for the more performance based options like a mid-high end air cooler or an AIO as the lower end air coolers won't do much for you.

1 minute ago, qxa said:

I suppose, but the options won't actually change anything -it seems to me like buying most air coolers ( like under $40 ) instead of just using the stock one on Ryzen is throwing money into the wind as the difference shouldn't be all that large. If you're upgrading from stock Ryzen cooler it only makes sense to go for the more performance based options like a mid-high end air cooler or an AIO as the lower end air coolers won't do much for you.

i know. i got my trusty 240mm aio from corsair

1 minute ago, piratemonkey said:

i know. i got my trusty 240mm aio from corsair

I used to use a 240mm corsair aio. Good stuff. Worked great even though I was missing the mounting brackets and attached it to the board with zip ties 😃

1 minute ago, qxa said:

I used to use a 240mm corsair aio. Good stuff. Worked great even though I was missing the mounting brackets and attached it to the board with zip ties 😃

lmao. thats a linus fix

27 minutes ago, qxa said:

A 212 evo is way better than the wraith stealth. The stock coolers are only good if you have a decent ambient temp.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

A 212 evo is way better than the wraith stealth. The stock coolers are only good if you have a decent ambient temp.

Interesting - the difference hasn't been huge from my experience ( but I have quite good ambient temps I suppose ) 

I removed the cooler and processor. Unfortunately the cooler was stuck to the processor and it yanked it off the board somehow! Everything looked ok so I redid the thermal paste and put it back on. But now it won't power up at all!

Not sure what to do here...

33 minutes ago, Joe Schmo said:

I removed the cooler and processor. Unfortunately the cooler was stuck to the processor and it yanked it off the board somehow! Everything looked ok so I redid the thermal paste and put it back on. But now it won't power up at all!

Not sure what to do here...

Ouch.. common mistake. You needed to warm up the thermal paste and then twist to break the paste while lifting. Did you bend/break any CPU pins?

6 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Ouch.. common mistake. You needed to warm up the thermal paste and then twist to break the paste while lifting. Did you bend/break any CPU pins?

No, I checked rows through a light both ways, nothing bent

I got it to power on but it just kicks on all fans on full blast, a red cpu light is all that's on the Mobo, not posting to monitor, and I have to flip the switch on the power supply to turn it off.

Is this cpu or Mobo bricked now?

Running PBO and F@H last night I was only running 74-75c with a Hyper 212 with my 3600x.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

18 hours ago, Joe Schmo said:

red cpu light

Well that is a bad sign, check if maybe the power cable for the CPU is loose hopefully reseating the 12v cable will fix it. Since there are no bent pins and the CPU was easy enough to reinstall I would hope the CPU is fine. You may have damaged the socket though or other motherboard components around the socket, only thing I can think of is switching out the CPU to see if it works.

I don't have another CPU or MOBO. After talking with tech support of both companies, I'm RMAing the CPU :(

4 hours ago, Joe Schmo said:

Damn that really sucks, I hope it goes smoother for you from this point on and everything works when the rma went through ;(