Crossfire of normal RX580 and mining RX570?

ch3mn3y

I'm thinking about doing a CF. Now I have RX580 Nitro+ SE, but I'm looking for a 2nd card. Was thinking about 2nd Nitro+ SE or Nitro+, but they cost a little (have enough, but if I can spend more...) - 500 (Nitro) or 550 (SE) PLN for the cheapest ones (used ofc) - it is 120/135$.

Than I thought about RX480 with RX580 BIOS, but there I would need one with 100% working BIOS and Strix OC would be best coz of (I believe from what I read) best cooling capabilities of all RX480 cards. Found one, but seller already bricked two cards and is not willing to play with more.... (there I would pay ~400 PLN = ~100$).

Than I found, here on reddit, info that RX480/580 + RX470/570 would be practically same as two RX480/580. That gave me more field to look for cards. And I found "holy grail" - Nitro 8GB for 280 PLN (70$). Only problem it is mining one. Do You know id it will work with normal RX580? Present one would act as video out card, so I don't mind that it doesn't have any ports out. But... WILL IT WORK?

AS Mining RX570 has clocks at 1420/2250 and Sapphire RX580 has 1430/2000, than there won't be a lot of difference (and RX570 will be 2nd card not the main one).

PS. Right now I would like to thank for all the "CF is dead", "sell it and buy newer GPU", etc. comments. I don't have time, money to do that, or don't mind, or give a f. Thanks, danke, merci, dziękować!

23 minutes ago, ch3mn3y said:

I don't have time, money to do that, or don't mind, or give a f.

While what you're looking to do is not really a common use case so there isn't a lot of documentation about it. You'd get more performance by selling both cards and upgrading to a single better card. Especially if you pick up something used rather than buy new. 

If you CF a 580 and a 570, performance is going to be limited by the 570. Coupled with how few games actually support crossfire and adding on top of that how many of those games run CF well......it's best just to find the time and find the money to upgrade to a faster single card. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

While what you're looking to do is not really a common use case so there isn't a lot of documentation about it. You'd get more performance by selling both cards and upgrading to a single better card. Especially if you pick up something used rather than buy new. 

If you CF a 580 and a 570, performance is going to be limited by the 570. Coupled with how few games actually support crossfire and adding on top of that how many of those games run CF well......it's best just to find the time and find the money to upgrade to a faster single card. 

As far as I know (AMD people from reddit says that) 2nd card is used more as and slave one and RX580+RX570 will act same as two RX580s (but RX570+RX580 will be like two RX570s) with clocks of the slower one and RAM of the one that has less memory (here there is almost no difference in clocks (memory are faster in RX570) and same amount of RAM in both cards).

However it doesn't matter. It's not what I asked about ;)

The question is: How will it work if the RX570 is mining card? It's not the normal card, however in tipical usage it misses just Out ports, ports I wouldn't even be able to use, so it may not have them.

Just now, Caroline said:

#1 never trust reddit

#2 Don't VBIOS mod if you're not physically modding the PCB. A 580 needs more power than a 480, even if the cards look the same they're not the same, the power delivery on the 480 is different, same goes for the 5700 to 5700XT, 6970 to 6990 or any other cards that look similar.

#3 Like with RAM, it'll always be limited by the slower card.

#4 The mining card should be the secondary or "slave" card (like in old XF) since it lacks video outputs, the mobo will sort them following the slots positions

A1. Ok.

A2. I don't want to. That's why I was thinking about buing one where it was used for a longer time. More chance that it will work for longer.

However I no longer think about one as much as about the mining card.

A3. That I know.

A4. But will the mining card allow Crossfire? It will be he slave, as it doesn't have the outputs, that for sure. And it's not too long to be a slave. But Will it work as the card is made for mining?

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Yes, the card is normal but had its ports removed, that's all. Other than that it behaves as any other card.

Ok, thanks. So I'll probably order it. It's almost hald the price for RX580 and 

Hah, i already created Sapphire ticket and asked seller if I could send it back if it won't work. Will se what he answers.

Some mining cards CAN be flashed with the regular version bios and they'll work. Some don't.

I don't see why a mining card should not work in Crossfire, but I never tested it and I'd give it maybe 80% yes it will work.

Unlike SLI, Crossfire works even with cards plugged in a pci-e x4 slot, so you should get Crossfire even with card pluged in the pci-e x4 slot created by the chipset.

Keep in mind ... like everyone else said... Crossfire like SLI is out of fashion and fewer and fewer games will support it, and not a lot of games support it right now. Even games that support it, don't get twice the performance, but rather 40-70% extra performance should be expected.

I don't think it's worth spending money on a mining card just to get Crossfire, so I don't recommend you go ahead even if you're guaranteed it works.

I think Crossfire/ SLI is dead, have you checked if the games you want to play even support it? It's gotta be a low figure either way. As the above poster said, I would just skip all that hassle for (most likely) no benefit and buy a better single graphics card. Atleast your money won't go to waste.

In the end I got answer from Sapphire and it wasn't the card I found - it was typical RX570 without the outputs. Typical so very "slow" comparing to SE variant.

And I just sold my old Mobo (AsRock Z77 OC Formula) and got enough money for 2nd SE ;)