Cybersecurity bootcamp / getting into?

Cylon Agent

Anyone have thoughts on best approach to get into computer security in 2020? I know it's a broad topic, but generally speaking, can one get into the field in 2020 without a comp-sci degree? What about something like the Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) offered by ISC2? How about a Coursera/Udemy cert program?  Is this something someone can get into gradually these days or more of an "all in" deal?  Thanks!

Look into comptia security+, also you'll need firm understanding of networking. 

12 hours ago, Ecchi said:

Look into comptia security+, also you'll need firm understanding of networking. 

Thanks! I assume coding - python, java, assembly, etc, is a great bonus, but is it a must in today's market? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, Cylon Agent said:

Thanks! I assume coding - python, java, assembly, etc, is a great bonus, but is it a must in today's market? 

Any sort of languages you know will help in some way.  Some more than others.  You for sure want to have linux experience, networking experience, and work on basic security knowledge and obtain entry level certifications.  A degree can help but may not be an option for all and for sure is not needed.  Focus on Certs and possibly looking deep into what sort of field you want to go into.  Whatever interests you more, defensive or offensive security.

Sorry for replying to a month old thread was just searching through posts about Cybersecurity :)

On 3/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, Cylon Agent said:

Assembly is not a must, i haven't had to touch it since school in the 90's. You will see a lot more of C base (C/C++/C#/Perl) and Java in the security world and the vast majority of literature and talks are using C++ examples. I think it's simply because it's the most commonly known so it easier to explain to a larger mass of people. But first and foremost if you know any language it's useless if you do not have the networking knowledge. You can end up doing something without knowing why you are doing it and this is dangerous as you don't know if your source is correct or not

On 3/9/2020 at 2:16 PM, Cylon Agent said:

can one get into the field in 2020 without a comp-sci degree? What about something like the Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) offered by ISC2? How about a Coursera/Udemy cert program?  Is this something someone can get into gradually these days or more of an "all in" deal?

Even for (ISC)2 CISSP certifications, which are kind of the crème de la crème of security certifications, an undergraduate degree can only account for one year of work experience maximum, and the certificate requires five years of work experience.

Given that, it is far more important to learn practical cybersecurity through hands on methods than it is to get a degree.

I will say that a degree will certainly give you quite a bit of fundamental knowledge that you'll need to move forward, but it is by no means the only way to get that knowledge, nor is it necessarily the best or fastest way to get said knowledge.

If your goal is just to get cybersecurity certifications, you will be better served by getting some CompTia certifications, using those to get an entry level IT administration job, and fervently studying programming on the side than you would be by going to college.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

If you're looking for a website that focuses on cyber security cybrary.it has some really good options but they don't really "teach" they mainly help push what you already know if that makes sense?