The S20 ultra

Lord Vile

First of all I will admit I am an iOS user not an android person at all but I’m utterly dumbfounded buy the S20 Ultras price. Compared to other phones the only things it has would be a bigger screen which you could argue makes it less useable, 5G which isn’t widely available and isn’t much better than 4G outside of mmW which is even rarer than normal 5G and a 120Hz screen. It’s cameras still lag the iPhone and Pixel phones, it still only gets Samsung’s normal level of support (so not much) and has nothing else going for it. I get phones are more expensive but just to put it into context it is TWICE the price of an iPhone 11 or pixel 4 which are both arguably better phones and in the iPhones case at least will be supported around 2-3x longer than Samsung commits to the galaxy line. Again with Samsung’s what 2 years support, going by the S8 still being stuck on android 9, that’s £700-800 per YEAR depending on what model you get. I know the iPhone 11 Pro Max is around the same price maxed out (something I also think is a stupid price I think £1000 is my personal limit) but that’s still £200-300 per year max as they support phones for normally 5 sometimes 6 years. 

Why are people buying a phone that just seems, well not very well thought out and ludicrously expensive for what it is? Can any android people point out to why because it’s just not making sense to me. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

well its for people who wants the big screen ofc. it can shoot 108MP photos and 8k video. it has 12-16GB of ram, it has an AMOLED screen 1080p at 120hz or 1440x3200 60hz. i wouldnt get it but im just listening some things that people might want over the iphone 11

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

well its for people who wants the big screen ofc. it can shoot 108MP photos and 8k video. it has 12-16GB of ram, it has an AMOLED screen 1080p at 120hz or 1440x3200 60hz. i wouldnt get it but im just listening some things that people might want over the iphone 11

But the camera isn’t great, megapixels mean very little in smartphone cameras atm, the 8K video from what I’ve seen is actually horrendous and the RAM is just stupid, you don’t need more than 6GB, maybe 8 if you’re a power user but are you REALLY gonna be heavily editing video on a smartphone? Of course not. Honestly I think it may be the only phone that needs more than 1080p, on most phones that are 6”~ anything more than 1080 is a waste.  But the selling point over the others is 120Hz which you can’t use at full res which is kinda needs because of the size. 

Think my main grievance is the price, £800 per year of support is frankly lawsuit worthy and my second is they’ve seemed to have developed a habit of misleading people with specs, yeah it has 16GB of ram but you’ll struggle to use half, yeah it has a 108MP camera and 8K video but still lags behind phones from last year even though they have “worse” specs. They even have 100X SPACE ZOOM on the back and it’s a 10x or 5x optical I forget and the rest made up of digital and because they hyped up optical people will think its 100x optical zoom. Like the Z Flip with its “glass” screen, yeah it had glass in it but you touched plastic.

Just on the camera to compare imagine the uproar if AMD came out and said the Vega 64 is a better gaming card than the 2080 because it is more powerful as it has 1 more Tflop. They’re technically correct but not really. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Think my main grievance is the price

Would you have bought the phone if the price was lower?  What's acceptable in your eyes?  The market will tell Samsung if they out-priced themselves. Give it some time, the phone just released today. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Why do you have grievances with a phone you aren't interested in? Who cares? Just don't buy it and stop stressing over something you don't want anyway.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

It didn’t handle the drop test very well ?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, Velcade said:

Would you have bought the phone if the price was lower?  What's acceptable in your eyes?  The market will tell Samsung if they out-priced themselves. Give it some time, the phone just released today. 

Doesn’t really matter because it’ll drive prices for everything else up, when the iPhone X came out in 2017 and was £999 it was expensive, now that’s not even flagship price. 

41 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Why do you have grievances with a phone you aren't interested in? Who cares? Just don't buy it and stop stressing over something you don't want anyway.

Same as above. 

Also they’ve used misleading marketing on 2 phones this year because they’re just not interesting otherwise, think it’s fairly shady. 

31 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Doesn’t really matter because it’ll drive prices for everything else up, when the iPhone X came out in 2017 and was £999 it was expensive, now that’s not even flagship price. 

Not true.  There's a ceiling for everything.  

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

It costs $1400 because Samsung knows people will buy it. It has a much better screen than any iPhone has had, more cameras with arguably better quality, bigger battery, fast charging, more ram to keep apps opened in the background, bigger ufs 3.0 storage, they usually come with free Galaxy buds. Add to that the R&D, "Samsung premium " tax and ads price.

Also if the manufacturer supports a phone for ~2 years that doesn't necessarily mean you've gotta throw it away because it doesnt get updated.

The s20 ultra isn't for everyone.

13 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

and the RAM is just stupid, you don’t need more than 6GB, maybe 8 if you’re a power user but are you REALLY gonna be heavily editing video on a smartphone? Of course not.

You don't seem to understand what Ram is for in a smartphone^^

It is NOT for 1 single App to run. You don't have 8gb Ram on an Android smartphone, because there is 1 App that needs 8gb of Ram.
More Ram helps you keep ALL Apps in it at the same time. When you switch between the last x Apps you used, and nothing reloads... Every single App is "just there"? This is just beautiful.. This is what i expect from a smartphone that costs me 4 digits.

And i also expect this to be the case in 3-4 years still, not just today and tomorrow.

Android, and every modern OS use the Ram, that is available. Put in more Ram --> it will use it.

Filling it up with Cached data from multiple Apps etc. so everything is Ready. And of course, System Apps.

As a Poweruser myself who HATES it, when Apps reload, because they were thrown out of Ram, i still admit: 8gb of Ram on Android is absolutely plenty to work with.
But: You are paying 1300 bucks for the S20 Ultra. There is zero harm in it, when it has 12gb or even 16gb Ram, instead of 8.
You should be happy, that you get MORE for the Money.

It's not possible to have too much Ram. But it is possible to have too less.

And we're talking about a Flaggship that wants to be the highest Specifications possbile.

And other than that: Samsung smartphones can support DEX. So that might be a possibility to "use" up more Ram.

And the Specs should be high enough for those 10 people over the world, who actually use that :P

Oh yea, you don't need to use hardcore heavy applications like "heavy video editing" to use up alot of Ram.

I have 32gb Ram in my Windows Computer. Right now i have 13gb used, 14gb in "Standby" (which is Cached files), and like 5,6gb Ram are actually completely "Free".

I have Firefox + Chrome open (2 Monitors), Twitch App, and some minor Tools in Background like HwInfo64, Spotify, MSI Afterburner, Discord, Steam etc.

I had no issues filling up 16gb entirely. And if i were to just launch a Game, i had error messages that my System had not enough Ram^^ (untill i increased the Pagefile to 16gb)

--> You do not need heavy applications to use up alot of Ram. Doing many things at once is plenty for that.

hey so i received mine today love the phone except for one very game breaking bug when i installed the march update it broke my camera. i blame the update because when i first powered it on with the feb update pre installed the camera was fine but when i updated about 2 hours ago it broke the camera. when i do the 12mp ultra wide its fine when i zoom in past 5x its fine but when i use the 108MP its not right i have a very noticeable blue purple tint over the image. Anyone else having this issue?

20200306_220619.jpg

7 hours ago, Darkseth said:

You don't seem to understand what Ram is for in a smartphone^^

It is NOT for 1 single App to run. You don't have 8gb Ram on an Android smartphone, because there is 1 App that needs 8gb of Ram.
More Ram helps you keep ALL Apps in it at the same time. When you switch between the last x Apps you used, and nothing reloads... Every single App is "just there"? This is just beautiful.. This is what i expect from a smartphone that costs me 4 digits.

And i also expect this to be the case in 3-4 years still, not just today and tomorrow.

Android, and every modern OS use the Ram, that is available. Put in more Ram --> it will use it.

Filling it up with Cached data from multiple Apps etc. so everything is Ready. And of course, System Apps.

As a Poweruser myself who HATES it, when Apps reload, because they were thrown out of Ram, i still admit: 8gb of Ram on Android is absolutely plenty to work with.
But: You are paying 1300 bucks for the S20 Ultra. There is zero harm in it, when it has 12gb or even 16gb Ram, instead of 8.
You should be happy, that you get MORE for the Money.

It's not possible to have too much Ram. But it is possible to have too less.

And we're talking about a Flaggship that wants to be the highest Specifications possbile.

And other than that: Samsung smartphones can support DEX. So that might be a possibility to "use" up more Ram.

And the Specs should be high enough for those 10 people over the world, who actually use that :P

Oh yea, you don't need to use hardcore heavy applications like "heavy video editing" to use up alot of Ram.

I have 32gb Ram in my Windows Computer. Right now i have 13gb used, 14gb in "Standby" (which is Cached files), and like 5,6gb Ram are actually completely "Free".

I have Firefox + Chrome open (2 Monitors), Twitch App, and some minor Tools in Background like HwInfo64, Spotify, MSI Afterburner, Discord, Steam etc.

I had no issues filling up 16gb entirely. And if i were to just launch a Game, i had error messages that my System had not enough Ram^^ (untill i increased the Pagefile to 16gb)

--> You do not need heavy applications to use up alot of Ram. Doing many things at once is plenty for that.

I do understand but how many apps does it take to use 8GB in the background exactly? It's just thrown in to justify the price with it doesn't, there are no R+D costs to adding more ram, maybe power delivery but for LPDDR4 I doubt that's an issue. It costs them the almighty what maybe $10 a phone to bump the individual chip cap a bit? 

How many people actually use DEX? And also it' not really good enough to use for anything other than maybe a bit of word processing or browsing. 

That's a full desktop though, I use around 6GB just watching YouTube with everything running in the background on my PC, around 10-13 GB when I'm actually doing stuff. On my Mac currently I'm on around 2GB used and 5GB cached, 11 free.

Honestly sounds like you have a problem, that shouldn't be taking up anywhere near 13GB of RAM. I have more than that open on my desktop plus a game and don't pass 10 sometimes. 

7 hours ago, Ray p said:

hey so i received mine today love the phone except for one very game breaking bug when i installed the march update it broke my camera. i blame the update because when i first powered it on with the feb update pre installed the camera was fine but when i updated about 2 hours ago it broke the camera. when i do the 12mp ultra wide its fine when i zoom in past 5x its fine but when i use the 108MP its not right i have a very noticeable blue purple tint over the image. Anyone else having this issue?

20200306_220619.jpg

take it to Samsung, I do believe another galaxy phone had the same issue a while back

22 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

First of all I will admit I am an iOS user not an android person at all but I’m utterly dumbfounded buy the S20 Ultras price. Compared to other phones the only things it has would be a bigger screen which you could argue makes it less useable, 5G which isn’t widely available and isn’t much better than 4G outside of mmW which is even rarer than normal 5G and a 120Hz screen. It’s cameras still lag the iPhone and Pixel phones, it still only gets Samsung’s normal level of support (so not much) and has nothing else going for it. I get phones are more expensive but just to put it into context it is TWICE the price of an iPhone 11 or pixel 4 which are both arguably better phones and in the iPhones case at least will be supported around 2-3x longer than Samsung commits to the galaxy line. Again with Samsung’s what 2 years support, going by the S8 still being stuck on android 9, that’s £700-800 per YEAR depending on what model you get. I know the iPhone 11 Pro Max is around the same price maxed out (something I also think is a stupid price I think £1000 is my personal limit) but that’s still £200-300 per year max as they support phones for normally 5 sometimes 6 years. 

Why are people buying a phone that just seems, well not very well thought out and ludicrously expensive for what it is? Can any android people point out to why because it’s just not making sense to me. 

There are a lot of advantages to the Ultra. I am not going to justify it's price but saying that it is a worse phone than the iPhone is a wrong statement. 

I am a professional photographer and I would take the Ultra over any other phone, nah day. The larger sensor has miles better capabilities than anything else if you can tweak the settings a bit. Now I know normal people will not do so, but that's the point. It's not a "normal" phone. Tweaking in the Ultra's camera has seriously impressed me. It's better than anything else. 

The screen is the best screen on any smartphone. Done. No argument. The 120hz is amazing to have and the phone *feels* substantially snappier than anything else on the market. 

When you need the battery life can be amazing too. At 120hz, I'll admit, it's just fine but when you know it'll be a long day, put it to 1080p 60hz and it just lasts forever. 

The only drawback for me is the size which is way too much. 

Now, I'm not trying to defend the price, its way too much for a normie, but the thing is not made for them. You can look at the S20 for that. But saying the Ultra is worse than the iPhone (Pixel doesn't even come close) is a wrong statement

55 minutes ago, Abhinav2003 said:

There are a lot of advantages to the Ultra. I am not going to justify it's price but saying that it is a worse phone than the iPhone is a wrong statement. 

I am a professional photographer and I would take the Ultra over any other phone, nah day. The larger sensor has miles better capabilities than anything else if you can tweak the settings a bit. Now I know normal people will not do so, but that's the point. It's not a "normal" phone. Tweaking in the Ultra's camera has seriously impressed me. It's better than anything else. 

The screen is the best screen on any smartphone. Done. No argument. The 120hz is amazing to have and the phone *feels* substantially snappier than anything else on the market. 

When you need the battery life can be amazing too. At 120hz, I'll admit, it's just fine but when you know it'll be a long day, put it to 1080p 60hz and it just lasts forever. 

The only drawback for me is the size which is way too much. 

Now, I'm not trying to defend the price, its way too much for a normie, but the thing is not made for them. You can look at the S20 for that. But saying the Ultra is worse than the iPhone (Pixel doesn't even come close) is a wrong statement

Arguably worse I didn't say worse because it depends what you're looking at. 

Phone camera are more to do with software than anything else now, just because the sensor is larger doesn't mean the quality is. For the price they're charging it should work out of box. Tinkering shouldn't come into it because then you could just counter every argument against iOS with "just jailreak". Plus the iPhone demolishes it for video which I personally use a fair bit ;)

You mean aside from the OnePlus or ASUS phone... both of which are half the price?

I actually don't think you should run this at 1080 and that's the first time I've said that of a phone. The 11 pro max has to run at 1200-1300p to stay retina and that's nearly half an inch smaller than the ultra. It should be 120Hz at 1440 because you're forced to choose between looking the part for a £1400 and 120Hz and not being sharp, if apple do bring pro-motion? I think the branding is to the next iPhone do you think they will drop the res below retina? God no. 

You can say what you want about the phone but it's weighted down by price, for £1400 base you shouldn't have to tinker, you shouldn't have to worry about it not getting updates after 2 years. Throwing £1400 at a phone should leave you problem and worry free for years. But it brings you false advertising and forces you into making choices you shouldn't have to for the price. I'm really not a fan of the 100x on the camera same as I wasn't happy with the iPhone 5 being advertised as 5G in the UK, both are technically correct but misleading, though at least 5G wasn't etched into the back of the iPhone.

22 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Arguably worse I didn't say worse because it depends what you're looking at. 

Phone camera are more to do with software than anything else now, just because the sensor is larger doesn't mean the quality is. For the price they're charging it should work out of box. Tinkering shouldn't come into it because then you could just counter every argument against iOS with "just jailreak". Plus the iPhone demolishes it for video which I personally use a fair bit ;)

You mean aside from the OnePlus or ASUS phone... both of which are half the price?

I actually don't think you should run this at 1080 and that's the first time I've said that of a phone. The 11 pro max has to run at 1200-1300p to stay retina and that's nearly half an inch smaller than the ultra. It should be 120Hz at 1440 because you're forced to choose between looking the part for a £1400 and 120Hz and not being sharp, if apple do bring pro-motion? I think the branding is to the next iPhone do you think they will drop the res below retina? God no. 

You can say what you want about the phone but it's weighted down by price, for £1400 base you shouldn't have to tinker, you shouldn't have to worry about it not getting updates after 2 years. Throwing £1400 at a phone should leave you problem and worry free for years. But it brings you false advertising and forces you into making choices you shouldn't have to for the price. I'm really not a fan of the 100x on the camera same as I wasn't happy with the iPhone 5 being advertised as 5G in the UK, both are technically correct but misleading, though at least 5G wasn't etched into the back of the iPhone.

Yes OnePlus and Asus had that feature for half the price but are you going to compete the camera and quality of the screen with Samsung? You can't just take one feature and say arrive other phone has it for half the price, you have to consider the rest of the phone too. 

And the 1080p fact. Do you understand how much battery it will take for QHD+ and 120hz. And can you distinguish between 1080 vs 1440? On the retina display point, I would rather have a good quality screen than sheer resolution. 

Upon the update factor, my Note 8 is running Android 10 right now. Samsung has massively upped their update game. And if you are going to use your phone for 3-4 years, you might wanna 5G in it. It's future proofing. 

Upon the tinkering factor, yes the out of the box camera might be underwhelming, but that's the ONE flaw. It could be fixed in a software update, now I know you shouldn't depend on a software update for a feature, but you also shouldn't base your purchase on just one feature. And the target democratic of the phone will, one way or the other, time tinker in the phone. 

33 minutes ago, Abhinav2003 said:

Yes OnePlus and Asus had that feature for half the price but are you going to compete the camera and quality of the screen with Samsung? You can't just take one feature and say arrive other phone has it for half the price, you have to consider the rest of the phone too. 

And the 1080p fact. Do you understand how much battery it will take for QHD+ and 120hz. And can you distinguish between 1080 vs 1440? On the retina display point, I would rather have a good quality screen than sheer resolution. 

Upon the update factor, my Note 8 is running Android 10 right now. Samsung has massively upped their update game. And if you are going to use your phone for 3-4 years, you might wanna 5G in it. It's future proofing. 

Upon the tinkering factor, yes the out of the box camera might be underwhelming, but that's the ONE flaw. It could be fixed in a software update, now I know you shouldn't depend on a software update for a feature, but you also shouldn't base your purchase on just one feature. And the target democratic of the phone will, one way or the other, time tinker in the phone. 

I really don't get this, Samsung screens aren't that good. The tech is great and they make amazing panels but they screw it up by not calibrating them correctly.

This is my point. It's trying to do too much to the point of not doing anything good enough, it should be smaller, around 6.4/6.5" so it can get away with 1080p.

The panel quality should be the same at any resolution, I point at this again. £1400! it should be a good screen and have an acceptable resolution.

Where did you get the update because Samsung officially stated the note 8 would not be getting 10 and having read around for 10 mins nowhere confirms that the note 8 has android 10. 

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8-update/

https://www.gottabemobile.com/5-things-to-know-about-the-galaxy-note-8-android-10-update/

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/02/27/samsung-galaxy-s8-one-ui-2-0-android-10-update/

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/03/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-note-8-one-ui-2-0-change-org-petitions-for-android-10-signed-by-thousands/

5G is not significantly better than 4G outside of mmW and in any case most places have enough wifi hotspots than you can shake a stick at.

Or will they? For £1400 is should work. From my experience people who tinker don't buy flagship phones they buy older or lower priced ones and mod them to whatever they want.

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

I really don't get this, Samsung screens aren't that good. The tech is great and they make amazing panels but they screw it up by not calibrating them correctly.

This is my point. It's trying to do too much to the point of not doing anything good enough, it should be smaller, around 6.4/6.5" so it can get away with 1080p.

you ac

The panel quality should be the same at any resolution, I point at this again. £1400! it should be a good screen and have an acceptable resolution.

Where did you get the update because Samsung officially stated the note 8 would not be getting 10 and having read around for 10 mins nowhere confirms that the note 8 has android 10. 

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8-update/

https://www.gottabemobile.com/5-things-to-know-about-the-galaxy-note-8-android-10-update/

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/02/27/samsung-galaxy-s8-one-ui-2-0-android-10-update/

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/03/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-note-8-one-ui-2-0-change-org-petitions-for-android-10-signed-by-thousands/

5G is not significantly better than 4G outside of mmW and in any case most places have enough wifi hotspots than you can shake a stick at.

Or will they? For £1400 is should work. From my experience people who tinker don't buy flagship phones they buy older or lower priced ones and mod them to whatever they want.

So you're saying that you can distinguish between 1080p and 1440p on an 6.9" panel? I ain't buying that. That way you would need a 8K TV for a good experience. That way you could only accept a 4K panel on your desktop. 
And what are you talking about? Samsung has the best calibrated screen in the entire market. I recommend you using a Samsung panel before making that assumptions. There is no denial that the iPhones have good screen but in sheer quality Samsung has been championing for ever. 

And you are saying that if iPhone had a high refresh rate screen it would not give up resolution. You so realize that it doesn't have it right now right? It's like saying the 2020 iPhone will have great cameras so the camera of the 11 Pro Max sucks. You can say iPhone doesn't have that right now so how can you compare it? 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Galaxy-S8-and-Note-8-can-now-be-upgraded-to-Android-10.452533.0.html

Samsung has been slowly rolling out Android 10 on Note 8s (not any S8 in my knowledge but I'm trying to get my hands on one), and many have received including mine.

Also, people who buy falagships: 

1) Rich ones who don't really care of the features that much.

2) Prosumers who will, one way or the other, tinker in the phone.

3) Professionals whose phones pay for itself, who will also dig heavily into the phone

I'm not defending Samsung's poor camera software, but its by no means bad. 

For normal users too, Ultra's camera will be easily 2nd to the iPhone (better than Pixel because video and wide-angle) and the Ultra will take down the iPhone in many other ways

Also, the Ultra comes with base 128gb, while the iPhone comes with 64gb which is unacceptable for a base configuration, with the 128gb model and the price inflation in other countries, in most countries in Asia the 128gb  11 pro {not Max} costs $2000 literally, what do you have to say about that?

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

The Samsung s10 ultra does have the best screen and Samsung's panels are the best.

4 hours ago, EL02 said:

The Samsung s10 ultra does have the best screen and Samsung's panels are the best.

THANK YOU

12 minutes ago, Abhinav2003 said:

THANK YOU

No really, the flagship series of ALL smartphone manufacturers aren't for everyone. But there are factors that differentiate them. Iphones are generally faster, have better support, better ecosystem, better speakers etc, while samsung phones have a better screen, cameras, charging capabilities, ease of file transfer, have a way wider community for customizability purposes and lose their value pretty quick(the s10 costs way less than last year and still going strong). But i dont think companies can justify the increased price.

14 minutes ago, EL02 said:

No really, the flagship series of ALL smartphone manufacturers aren't for everyone. But there are factors that differentiate them. Iphones are generally faster, have better support, better ecosystem, better speakers etc, while samsung phones have a better screen, cameras, charging capabilities, ease of file transfer, have a way wider community for customizability purposes and lose their value pretty quick(the s10 costs way less than last year and still going strong). But i dont think companies can justify the increased price.

There is an argument that spending even $500 on a phone is way too much. Most functionalities can be found in $233-$300 phones and in good quality these days but that's not the point. Each price point caters different people. Similarly each phone caters different people. I have not been a fan of Apple for the longest time but 2019 was a year Apple made such great decisions that I was bound to appreciate that. The 11 series was great and there's no denial in that but saying that the Ultra is a worse phone is a wrong statement. It's a different generation device, overall Ultra is better. But not in all sectors. And you might still like the iPhone but that doesn't mean you trash everything else

14 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I do understand but how many apps does it take to use 8GB in the background exactly? It's just thrown in to justify the price with it doesn't, there are no R+D costs to adding more ram, maybe power delivery but for LPDDR4 I doubt that's an issue. It costs them the almighty what maybe $10 a phone to bump the individual chip cap a bit? 

How many people actually use DEX? And also it' not really good enough to use for anything other than maybe a bit of word processing or browsing. 

That's a full desktop though, I use around 6GB just watching YouTube with everything running in the background on my PC, around 10-13 GB when I'm actually doing stuff. On my Mac currently I'm on around 2GB used and 5GB cached, 11 free.

Honestly sounds like you have a problem, that shouldn't be taking up anywhere near 13GB of RAM. I have more than that open on my desktop plus a game and don't pass 10 sometimes. 

Can't say. Depends on the apps.
But i don't really care about the Number, as long all my Apps stay in Ram, ready for use.

Btw: Android never fills all Ram entirely.
Example, my Galaxy S7 Edge had 4gb Ram. But only 3,5gb were actually useable, 512~ mb was reserved for the System (Graphics probably).
Same with my Oneplus 6T: It has a total of 7636 mb useable Ram.

In all Cases, Andorid never uses up every last mb. It keeps a little bit Free. On my Samsung S7 Edge it was never more full than 2,7 to 3gb maybe, everything above was kicked out to free space.
Same with my Oneplus 6T. I never saw 7,6gb "used". But i saw 6,3gb used already (right now 5,9gb are "used").

I still notice some restarts here and there. So i would take 12gb Ram in my phone without crying somewhere.

Why android always keeps a little bit free: My guess is, it keeps it "ready" for any new App to start. So there is space ready to be filled with immediately without ha ving to close something first. That might save time.

Also, many manufacturers tweak the Ram management too aggressive to "save battery".
I mean, what's the sense of 12gb Ram, if the System always keeps 7gb "free", to save battery?

Believe me, i don't have any Problem on my system. You have one. Your Problem is crystal clear: You project your OWN usage to the whole World, and everything that differs from that, is "not normal" and "has a Problem".

You seem to live in your own "bubble", and can't comprehend or accept anything outside of that. You don't (want) to see the whole Picture, or different possibilities.

There is not 1 single way of using a Computer. There is also not a wrong way, or a right way.

On my Chrome and Firefox combined i have more than 100 Tabs open. You too? Since you compared your System to mine.

Also, one Tab is not equal to another Tab. It depends what's inside.

And i have Games, that use up over 7gb Ram alone. Like Final Fantasy 15. Just started it, it filled up 4,2gb Ram within 1-2 Minutes standing around.

Rise of the Tomb Raider also went to 6,5gb once.

My Twitch App alone consumes 740-800mb. Yet it doesn't do anything other than when you visit twitch.com and watch the stream there.

And all that can't even be remotely compared with YOUR System, unless you also have 32gb Ram built in.
Just the fact, that i have 32gb instead 16gb makes Windows "use more". Because there is more available.

Back when i still had only 16gb Ram in my Computer, my "usage" was lower too. Because there wasn't enough Ram. Stuff got swapped alot.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:24 PM, Abhinav2003 said:

So you're saying that you can distinguish between 1080p and 1440p on an 6.9" panel? I ain't buying that. That way you would need a 8K TV for a good experience. That way you could only accept a 4K panel on your desktop. 
And what are you talking about? Samsung has the best calibrated screen in the entire market. I recommend you using a Samsung panel before making that assumptions. There is no denial that the iPhones have good screen but in sheer quality Samsung has been championing for ever. 

And you are saying that if iPhone had a high refresh rate screen it would not give up resolution. You so realize that it doesn't have it right now right? It's like saying the 2020 iPhone will have great cameras so the camera of the 11 Pro Max sucks. You can say iPhone doesn't have that right now so how can you compare it? 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Galaxy-S8-and-Note-8-can-now-be-upgraded-to-Android-10.452533.0.html

Samsung has been slowly rolling out Android 10 on Note 8s (not any S8 in my knowledge but I'm trying to get my hands on one), and many have received including mine.

Also, people who buy falagships: 

1) Rich ones who don't really care of the features that much.

2) Prosumers who will, one way or the other, tinker in the phone.

3) Professionals whose phones pay for itself, who will also dig heavily into the phone

I'm not defending Samsung's poor camera software, but its by no means bad. 

For normal users too, Ultra's camera will be easily 2nd to the iPhone (better than Pixel because video and wide-angle) and the Ultra will take down the iPhone in many other ways

Also, the Ultra comes with base 128gb, while the iPhone comes with 64gb which is unacceptable for a base configuration, with the 128gb model and the price inflation in other countries, in most countries in Asia the 128gb  11 pro {not Max} costs $2000 literally, what do you have to say about that?

It it's closer than around a foot from your face you should be able to too. 

If you have a 27" monitor you'd be able to see pixels at 4K if your monitor is closer than 2ft~, I have a 24" 1440p monitor and obviously distinguish pixels when gaming and I'm only about 18" away but when I'm sat back watching something no at my keyboard I can't because Im like an extra foot away. Though mostly when doing everyday stuff I'm on my MacBook with a 3K screen and I can't really tell there.

You do know iPhone OLED screens are made by Samsung right? Apple just specifies the res, quality control, calibration etc which is what Samsung fucks up. The LCD are made by others though.

iPad pros have promotion already and retina quality screens, just needs to be brought over.

So no the note doesn't have Android 10 someones hacked it on. 

Rich ones will be going for the Z-Flip.

Prosumers of phones... It's not a PC, prosumer isn't a think becasuse phones aren't used for anything remotely professional in that sense, plus people who tinker with android generally go with the lower spec and cheaper phones because it's more fun.

Who the balls is that 3rd person? What phone would "pay for itself" what feature on the S20 Ultra would a professional use over I don't know, professional equipment? I can really see a professional photographer throwing away their DSLR, lens' etc and laptop for an S20 Ultra and DEX lol. 

How does the ultra take down the iPhone again? With its 120Hz 1080p screen and £800 a year for support?

There's a reason apple doesn't sell may phones in Asia? Import Tax is import tax they'd have to make a loss to sell them there competitively. I know expensive phones don't sell well in India anyway and in china the government funded Huawei dominate the market as everywhere else has massive tax slapped on them. That's a good what 80% of the asian population there? They're extremely popular in Japan though. Like a shade over 50% of the market popular.

Personally I can see most people getting by with 64GB of storage, I did until last year now I've just gotten carless. If I didn't have like near 60GB of music and 30GB of films and cut them down to say a more reasonable 15 apiece I'd still be under 64GB. Plus the upgrade isn't that much more.

Think about it though apple are 3rd in the smartphones sales market and they only make flagship priced phones, I wonder what the figures would look like if you only counted Samsung and Huawei salesroom their top tier phones.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, EL02 said:

iPhone panels are made by Samsung apple just calibrates them correctly.