Halo: CE on Steam

I honestly like that they are doing this. Who cares if it is preying off of nostalgia, nostalgia is a real thing that people pay money for. I have a lot of friends who grew up playing these games who are now PC gamers, the idea of being able to play this again with better visuals and frame rates on the PC brings them joy and $40 is a small price to pay for that considering modern day game pricing... 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

17 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I have Halo 2 up and running just fine. Granted, the multiplayer number is pretty pathetic so hopefully the MCC will bring more players.

My mistake, I didn't realize that GFWL was available on Windows 10.

There are already a lot of players online, but once cross-platform is implemented (it's low on their list) I'm sure there will be a big boost.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

35 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

My mistake, I didn't realize that GFWL was available on Windows 10.

Oh. That hadn't crossed my mind. I'm still on Win7.

49 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I honestly like that they are doing this. Who cares if it is preying off of nostalgia, nostalgia is a real thing that people pay money for. I have a lot of friends who grew up playing these games who are now PC gamers, the idea of being able to play this again with better visuals and frame rates on the PC brings them joy and $40 is a small price to pay for that considering modern day game pricing... 

And it's 5 games. Maybe Halo 4? So maybe 6, but it's at least the 3 main titles, Reach, and ODST.

#Muricaparrotgang

56 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Who cares if it is preying off of nostalgia

It's really not. People have been asking for the Halo games on PC for 13 years. They've been asking for proper ports of the console version for 19 years. Without mods, the first two games are a better experience on the console because shit's broken. Not big stuff, but things like Cortana changing color when she's angry doesn't happen.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

48 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

And it's 5 games. Maybe Halo 4? So maybe 6, but it's at least the 3 main titles, Reach, and ODST.

It does include Halo 4 also, so 6 games.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

uhh... the Halo 1 AE is completely redone from the ground up, as well as Halo 2.

You can. That's the entire point. They have a dedicated in game toggle button to swap between new and old. Granted, the "new" is from the 360, but Halo 2 looks pretty good, that's more current gen. 

I have Halo 2 up and running just fine. Granted, the multiplayer number is pretty pathetic so hopefully the MCC will bring more players.

I think it's decent in general, but the flood design they went with was not as good. But hey, with open mod support I'm sure someone can fix it.

That's probably because it's not today's standards.

Untitled.png.74ead8d7381a9caeacc8da867875d484.png

So, it's not really a remaster or a remake, it's just a port of a remaster from a decade ago. That's a bizarre way to rehash and resell the game...

Yes at the moment 343i are porting every game from the Master Chief Collection from the Xbox to PC, that's their main goal. I don't know where this thread got the idea from that this was a new remaster, neither 343i nor OP ever mentioned that.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

So, it's not really a remaster or a remake, it's just a port of a remaster from a decade ago. That's a bizarre way to rehash and resell the game...

It's not bizarre, because it was never released on Windows. If they'd done a second remaster, the price would be $40.  Instead they're selling it for $10.

People are being so weird about this, acting like it's predatory. You're getting mad over a cross platform release. What you're essentially saying is "How dare it no longer be a console exclusive that costs money for multiplayer!" ?

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Its a port of a compilation title, of a series that people have been asking for over 10 years to come back to pc, which just so happens to have a new entry coming this year. This isn't halo CE anniversary coming to pc, its halo the master chief collection part 2 of 6.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's a port of the collection of all the games to PC. What the hell do you want? MS and 343 take an almost 2 decade old essentially exclusive franchise and port it to the PC and you're bitching about how these decade old games don't look like a brand new title.

Also, I checked out Black Mesa and I don't know why you're so into it. The lighting is nice, the textures are okay, but the models and animations are pretty mediocre.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It's a port of the collection of all the games to PC. What the hell do you want? MS and 343 take an almost 2 decade old essentially exclusive franchise and port it to the PC and you're bitching about how these decade old games don't look like a brand new title.

Also, I checked out Black Mesa and I don't know why you're so into it. The lighting is nice, the textures are okay, but the models and animations are pretty mediocre.

The fact Black Mesa is made by few guys in a god damn garage. Here, we're talking big ass studios. Also what's there to port, Xbox is basically freaking PC. It should take them few hours to port the damn thing. Not 2 decades. So, sorry for expecting anything more than just that...

31 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

The fact Black Mesa is made by few guys in a god damn garage. Here, we're talking big ass studios. Also what's there to port, Xbox is basically freaking PC. It should take them few hours to port the damn thing. Not 2 decades. So, sorry for expecting anything more than just that...

I know xbox's product naming is odd, but the xbox one did not come out 2 decades ago... or MCC for that matter. Though, if you say it should take hours to port a game from xbox to PC then please apply to 343. I would like Halo 3 on PC ASAP.

Just ironic how terrible console to PC ports are rightfully regarded like shit, but when a developer actually takes time to port a game so it plays good on PC they are also ridiculed. Gamers are clearly the most oppressed group.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Your level of knowledge is astoundingly low.

55 minutes ago, vetali said:

Just ironic how terrible console to PC ports are rightfully regarded like shit, but when a developer actually takes time to port a game so it plays good on PC they are also ridiculed. Gamers are clearly the most oppressed group.

#Muricaparrotgang

On 3/6/2020 at 7:48 AM, JoostinOnline said:

It's a hell of a lot more than that. Besides the online game play, it's got massively improved visuals. Here are some screenshot I took. I tried to line them up exactly, but it's not perfect.

The textures and lighting are vastly improved. You can use wide-screen without it just zooming in the image. 60fps is possible instead of being capped at 30 (and they're working on adding support for higher framerates). And finally, they actually added subtitles to the game and fixed the audio balance issues! It was damn near impossible to hear what they were saying in the original.

Friendly reminder that Gearbox messed up the lightning, textures and maybe a few other things in the Halo: CE port which is still being used (to an extent) in the anniversary edition. Though this problem will be fixed in the future after all the other Halo games are released in the MCC. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

8 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Friendly reminder that Gearbox messed up the lightning, textures and maybe a few other things in the Halo: CE port which is still being used (to an extent) in the anniversary edition. Though this problem will be fixed in the future after all the other Halo games are released in the MCC. 

Its funny the path of Halo CE

Halo Xbox came out, Halo PC was ported by gearbox, Halo Mac was I believe ported by another studio. Then Halo Anniversary was ported from the PC port to the 360. Then it was ported to MCC for xbox one, and now its ported to MCC for PC.

The gearbox port ran like hot garbage, especially if you used nvidia hardware. It supported ATI very well. It wasn't until the 8000 series that it started to run good on nvidia hardware.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

7 hours ago, vetali said:

Its funny the path of Halo CE

Halo Xbox came out, Halo PC was ported by gearbox, Halo Mac was I believe ported by another studio. Then Halo Anniversary was ported from the PC port to the 360. Then it was ported to MCC for xbox one, and now its ported to MCC for PC.

The gearbox port ran like hot garbage, especially if you used nvidia hardware. It supported ATI very well. It wasn't until the 8000 series that it started to run good on nvidia hardware.

As I recall, the reason had something to do with it being made by Bungie, not Microsoft. I think there was an issue with who had rights to the source code. I can't remember where I read that though.

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

As I recall, the reason had something to do with it being made by Bungie, not Microsoft. I think there was an issue with who had rights to the source code. I can't remember where I read that though.

I don't think it was a rights issue. Bungie sold the entirety of the Halo franchise to MS after Halo 3 was released while promising they would make 2 more games. It believe it was a matter of which source code was readily available. I remember in like the late 2000s there was a serious exploit of Halo PC servers. The game still had a lot of players. Bungie ended up finding the source code on a flash drive and making a patch fixing the exploit and other QOL changes, including removing the need for the disk to be in a disk drive to play. 

On 3/6/2020 at 12:18 AM, Delicieuxz said:

Pressing Tab while in the game switches the visuals between the original and the Anniversary edition graphics.

The Anniversary edition graphics are higher fidelity but their art direction is amateur and generic, IMO, and the newer graphics take away a lot of the surrealism of the original's look.

As someone who played CE for the first time in mcc, the new graphics look better on some missions too, but on certain missions ( the flood and guilty spark come to mind ) the old ones were definitely better

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've been curious what engine 343 has. I thought it was the Bungie engine. I guess Halo 1 technically was multi-platform but apparently MS owned Bungie and they only made the Xbox version.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I've been curious what engine 343 has. I thought it was the Bungie engine. I guess Halo 1 technically was multi-platform but apparently MS owned Bungie and they only made the Xbox version.

Microsoft acquired Bungie so Halo could be made into an Xbox game. That's why they leaned so heavily on it.

8 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

As someone who played CE for the first time in mcc, the new graphics look better on some missions too, but on certain missions ( the flood and guilty spark come to mind ) the old ones were definitely better

They removed a lot of the blood spatter on that mission for some reason, and you can't keep hitting dead bodies to create more blood :(

3 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

They removed a lot of the blood spatter on that mission for some reason, and you can't keep hitting dead bodies to create more blood :(

My biggest complaint is the darkness, the flood aren't nearly as scary when you're in a well lit room 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, JZStudios said:

All the core Halo games use the blam engine, an in house engine made by bungie. Even 4 and 5 made by 343. Infinite is using a new in house engine made by 343. Its why MCC was easily and hastily put out for the xbox one to buy more time for halo 5, aaaand had lots of issues with matchmaking.

Halo 1 was supposed to be a mac game, bungie had to get bought out by MS because they were in dire straits financially. MS had them make Halo a launch title for xbox. Then they sold out the PC port, and still had an obligation to Apple to provide a Halo on mac.

This is my favorite game of all time. There are of course still some issues like the problem with the magnum spread, and i found that one of the speedruning triks for the second level doesn't work anymore. Despite all of that I'm still waiting for the halo 2 to get ported for that is the only game in the franchise i have yet to play.