I let my dumbass brother install my network card on pc and somehow he fucked up

Jeusu_101

He mounted the board on the mother board before installing any drivers, it worked fine however he installed the drivers after and now I can't connect to the internet. What am I supposed to do ?

4 minutes ago, Jeusu_101 said:

mounted the board on the mother board before installing any drivers,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the correct way to do it? Install the part > drivers.

I would assume he installed wrong drivers.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the correct way to do it? Install the part > drivers.

That is the correct way to do it.

download the drivers and put them on a usbdisk or something like that. on your pc find the device in devicemanager and update with the downloaded drivers. 

Device manager is your friend (to change the drivers for any particular hardware)

I edit my posts more often than not

4 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

your "brother" did things the right way round lmao you don't try and drive a car without actually putting yourself in the car first

look up the network card you have, grab the drivers for it and install them

The drivers are already installed and it still doesn’t work. 

Just now, Jeusu_101 said:

Change the drivers in device manager back to old ones?

Assuming it's Windows OS.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Change the drivers in device manager back to old ones?

Assuming it's Windows OS.

I tried uninstalling the new drivers but it took me nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Jeusu_101 said:

elaborate.

What does ipconfig get you?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Minimize everything else that may cause problems first.

If you have an onboard network card, go in bios and disable it so it won't be detected by the operating system.

Check if the newly installed network card is properly inserted in the pci-e slot. With pci-e x1 and x4 cards having a very small edge connector, it's possible the card is only partially inserted or not perfectly perpendicular.

Make sure the slot you're inserting the card in actually works. On some motherboards, if you use an M.2 connector with nvme drives, some pci-e x1 slots are disabled automatically. Same for using a pci-e x4 card, sometimes if a pci-e x4 card is used in a second pci-e x16 slot, some pci-e x1 slots become disabled because the total number of pci-e lanes created by the chipset is not enough to handle all.

Look in device manager and see if the network card is detected.  Go to manufacturer's website and download the latest driver for that network card. Don't rely on the drivers that Windows automatically installs, they're not always the best or the correct ones.

However, with Windows 10, also make sure that you download drivers that are compatible with your Windows 10 version ... sometimes a new version of Windows is not compatible with existing drivers.

If it's wired network card, actually move the network cable to the new network card.

If it's wireless card, make sure your router is configured to work with your network card's frequency ... there's 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz ... your router could be 2.4 ghz only and your card could be 5 ghz only ... and so on...

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Minimize everything else that may cause problems first.

If you have an onboard network card, go in bios and disable it so it won't be detected by the operating system.

Check if the newly installed network card is properly inserted in the pci-e slot. With pci-e x1 and x4 cards having a very small edge connector, it's possible the card is only partially inserted or not perfectly perpendicular.

Make sure the slot you're inserting the card in actually works. On some motherboards, if you use an M.2 connector with nvme drives, some pci-e x1 slots are disabled automatically. Same for using a pci-e x4 card, sometimes if a pci-e x4 card is used in a second pci-e x16 slot, some pci-e x1 slots become disabled because the total number of pci-e lanes created by the chipset is not enough to handle all.

Look in device manager and see if the network card is detected.  Go to manufacturer's website and download the latest driver for that network card. Don't rely on the drivers that Windows automatically installs, they're not always the best or the correct ones.

However, with Windows 10, also make sure that you download drivers that are compatible with your Windows 10 version ... sometimes a new version of Windows is not compatible with existing drivers.

If it's wired network card, actually move the network cable to the new network card.

If it's wireless card, make sure your router is configured to work with your network card's frequency ... there's 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz ... your router could be 2.4 ghz only and your card could be 5 ghz only ... and so on...

It’s a wire board, the pc detects the board, the onboard Ethernet connector is disabled and the drivers installed where downloaded through a cd which came with the board.

You can also just remove what drivers were installed period and reboot, then let the system reinstall what drivers it has in the OS itself for it.
This way you would (hopefully) be returning the system to how it was before when it was working.

If that fails then you'll have to check for the correct drivers by card and OS and try again. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

Windows is not as smart as it tries to look, in several devices I have had to install drivers manually, as the "latest and the greatest" simply refuse to work.

I like Windows 10 conception, but not at all 100%

If it's 10 after all..

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

You can also just remove what drivers were installed period and reboot, then let the system reinstall what drivers it has in the OS itself for it.
This way you would be returning the system to how it was before when it was working.

If that fails then you'll have to check for the correct drivers by card and OS and try again. 

I think I already tried this by uninstalling the drivers, reboot the system, then remove the card reboot the system (without the card and drivers) install the drivers again, reboot the system, then install again the board (now system with board and drivers). Maybe there is a very little chance the cable is not working but I don’t think this is the case since it works with my PS4.

1. Are you using Windows 10?
  2. Can we get model numbers?
    1. Motherboard model number?
    2. NIC model number?

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:
  1. Are you using Windows 10?
  2. Can we get model numbers?
    1. Motherboard model number?
    2. NIC model number?

Windows 10

I'm away right now so I can't check the models.

3 minutes ago, Jeusu_101 said:

Windows 10

I'm away right now so I can't check the models.

Well keep us posted. Some cheap NICs don't work well with Windows 10.

56 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well keep us posted. Some cheap NICs don't work well with Windows 10.

I don't know about the quality of my NIC all I remember that it is a lan cable only board from D-Link

3 minutes ago, Jeusu_101 said:

I don't know about the quality of my NIC all I remember that it is a lan cable only board from D-Link

When you can get us a model numbers it'll give us a better idea as to if it's a driver incompatibility issue. Hearing D-Link though isn't a great start. They're not well regarded in the network space.