i3-4130 vs FX-6300 for Gaming and Productivity

I am trying to find a good CPU for a budget gaming build. I am not going to OC, so i don't care if one overclocks better. The i3 has HT, but the FX has more cores. People have been telling me that games will start using HT in the future, so I don't know what I should choose. I think I might pair the CPU with a r7 265.

they are pretty much equal in games so choose the i3 if you want to be able to upgrade to an i5 in the future or the fx 6300 if you wan't to upgrade to an 8000 series amd cpu in the future

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

they are pretty much equal in games so choose the i3 if you want to be able to upgrade to an i5 in the future or the fx 6300 if you wan't to upgrade to an 8000 series amd cpu in the future

What would be better in terms of productivity?

what do you mean by productivity

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

what do you mean by productivity

Word Documents, Excel Spreadsheets, rendering videos, internet browsing, etc. I want it to be really snappy and seamless.

the 6300 since it has more cores its better for that stuff

Spoiler

The FX6300 will be better but if you have the cash you can get a lower end i5.

Quote me to get a reply!

The i3 will render faster with its IGP enabled as acceleration. Go with the i3 much better gaming experience.

The i3 will render faster with its IGP enabled as acceleration. Go with the i3 much better gaming experience.

Kaveri will render raster with it's IGP so he should get that instead.....

@vishnureddy17  Typically how it works Intel core equals AMD module. The 6300 has an extra module(comparison wise).

I personally have a fx-6300 and for the price it is great. In video rendering it works quite well. However if you can hold out for a bit longer and collect a few more dollars I say go with a Haswell i5.

He did specify Kaveri. Not Trinity/Richland using VLIW4.

That is 1 benchmark though. You're better off getting FX6300 and a Discrete GPU for CUDA/OpenCL anyway.

6300 > i3 in general.

He did specify Kaveri. Not Trinity/Richland using VLIW4.

That is 1 benchmark though. You're better off getting FX6300 and a Discrete GPU for CUDA/OpenCL anyway.

6300 > i3 in general.

Yeah but kaveri isn't going to add a 500% difference. Intel Quicksync is much faster than CUDA/OpenCL. Basically I use my 2600K rather than my 3930K to render video's..

Between those two, hands down the FX6300 will perform better, especially in  rendering, etc. If you really want to be on the Intel platform I would advise you to at lest step up to a decent quad-core such as the i5 4440 or even the 4670K, which will be an even better option than the AMD chip. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

The FX 6300 is as good as the i3 4130 on average in gaming, significantly better in productivity & multitasking.
The two additional threads in i3 processors is already being utilized in games almost to their full extent.

The comparison that Priller made is accurate, each module roughly equals a Haswell core in performance, so you can think of the FX 6300 as an unlocked tri-core Haswell in terms of total throughput.

Use the intel core i3 4130, you will get better performance plus it uses the LGA 1150 socket type so you could upgrade to an i5 4670 or an i7 4770 in the future.

If you'd like to see some specification comparisons then check out this link http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4130-vs-AMD-FX-6300

The single core performance on the intel core i3 4130 is a 9.4 compared to the FX 6300 which is an 8.2, single core performance is what you want the most while gaming. However when using multi-threaded applications the FX 6300 will perform better since it has six cores compared to two cores.

Hope this helped.

Use the intel core i3 4130, you will get better performance plus it uses the LGA 1150 socket type so you could upgrade to an i5 4670 or an i7 4770 in the future.

If you'd like to see some specification comparisons then check out this link http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4130-vs-AMD-FX-6300

The single core performance on the intel core i3 4130 is a 9.4 compared to the FX 6300 which is an 8.2, single core performance is what you want the most while gaming. However when using multi-threaded applications the FX 6300 will perform better since it has six cores compared to two cores.

Hope this helped.

Most new games want more cores and if you read that thread it will show you on a multi-core level it has a better rating than the i3 never mind the overclocking. Every bench but the single its scores, and till AMD officially discontinue AM3+, there is plenty of room for upgrading still.

Most new games want more cores and if you read that thread it will show you on a multi-core level it has a better rating than the i3 never mind the overclocking.

I never said the FX 6300 didn't have a better performance rating, what I said was that the i3 4130 will give you better single core performance.

I never said the FX 6300 didn't have a better performance rating, what I said was that the i3 4130 will give you better single core performance.

I never said you said it did not, I was just commenting on the other things you said  "so you could upgrade to an i5 4670 or an i7 4770 in the future." " single core performance is what you want the most while gaming. " There are much better AM3+ processors