If I use 2 wifi adapters instead of one will it be better,

person223
On 3/2/2020 at 4:05 PM, person223 said:

- Router Information = Linksys WRT54GS

- Pos Wifi router = ( I will find out later)

Well, there you go!

The WRT54GS is from so long ago! While "Speedboost" sounds impressive, you can't really benefit from it if you don't have Linksys WiFi cards on your clients that can take advantage of it. I used to have its older brother, the WRT54G, when I first started WiFi in my family's home. It was revolutionary in its time for 802.11b/g, but it needed so much tuning with third-party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT) that I had to switch to something else.

The WRT54GS will only allow you to create 2.4GHz wireless-B and G networks which are limited to 54Mbps in the best case scenario, so there is your speed restriction. If you're in a neighbourhood where the 2.4GHz wireless frequency is crowded and your wireless router is not on an empty or "less-busy" channel, your network speed will suffer. Furthermore, the switch on the WRT54GS is limited to 10/100Mbps speeds so if your ISP's promised speed is higher than that, you'll be speed-restricted here as well.

Finally, there were different versions of the WRT54G/GS/GL made by Linksys. Some versions were made with little RAM/flash memory, some with more. Those ones with less RAM/flash memory would become unstable or slow down when network traffic got too busy.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, Xenexo said:

Better solution if using windows 10

WIN-Shift-S 

0?ui=2&ik=697b8e750c&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f%3A1660271102973789971&th=170a77c58b994713&view=fimg&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ988_7Rp31R2U0rR3pVmseq3bdd15d6KVPgRcm6_QWyRqoTNagVJko_OS1F976LNECjMSLsC7yhCWGt8NNhIjNI48FGtWHWYVt_OpSRZQXCDcFMSlPvWIo3Sj0&ats=2524608000000&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu

On 3/3/2020 at 6:59 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Well, there you go!

The WRT54GS is from so long ago! While "Speedboost" sounds impressive, you can't really benefit from it if you don't have Linksys WiFi cards on your clients that can take advantage of it. I used to have its older brother, the WRT54G, when I first started WiFi in my family's home. It was revolutionary in its time for 802.11b/g, but it needed so much tuning with third-party firmware (e.g. DD-WRT) that I had to switch to something else.

The WRT54GS will only allow you to create 2.4GHz wireless-B and G networks which are limited to 54Mbps in the best case scenario, so there is your speed restriction. If you're in a neighbourhood where the 2.4GHz wireless frequency is crowded and your wireless router is not on an empty or "less-busy" channel, your network speed will suffer. Furthermore, the switch on the WRT54GS is limited to 10/100Mbps speeds so if your ISP's promised speed is higher than that, you'll be speed-restricted here as well.

Finally, there were different versions of the WRT54G/GS/GL made by Linksys. Some versions were made with little RAM/flash memory, some with more. Those ones with less RAM/flash memory would become unstable or slow down when network traffic got too busy.

But Should the limiting factor be my wifi adapter because i am able to get more speed with it. Which wifi adapters are the best right now (I have already spent like 60$ on wifi adapters). Also are you saying that depending on my isp plan my router may actually be giving me less speed up/down for what I am paying for

12 hours ago, person223 said:

Also are you saying that depending on my isp plan my router may actually be giving me less speed up/down for what I am paying for

Yes. And once again, what is your plan? 

Didn't your ISP provide you with a modem/router combo? Mine, (Bell Canada), practically shoves it down your throat!

On 3/5/2020 at 6:42 PM, zogthegreat said:

Didn't your ISP provide you with a modem/router combo? Mine, (Bell Canada), practically shoves it down your throat!

I forgot if they did.

6 hours ago, person223 said:

I forgot if they did.

Really? You don't know? It's the device that your WRT54GS would be connected to.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:21 PM, person223 said:

But Should the limiting factor be my wifi adapter because i am able to get more speed with it.

If your WiFi adapter is slow or isn't configured properly, then yes, it can be. But most adapters at default settings will connect at maximum speed that is being broadcast by your access point, distance, etc. And most times, these speeds are more than what your modem can provide with modern hardware.

Which wifi adapters are the best right now (I have already spent like 60$ on wifi adapters).

It doesn't matter what is the "best" WiFi adapter. You can have the latest WiFi-6 compatible adapters in your devices, but if your access point is several generations of WiFi old, that access point will not be able to provide you with the speed potential that your devices can achieve.

Also are you saying that depending on my isp plan my router may actually be giving me less speed up/down for what I am paying for

So it all comes back down to this simple question that you haven't been able to answer yet. Find your ISP contract and see what you are paying for and the speeds that are promised. Or go to your ISP's website and see which package matches up the closest with your monthly internet expenses.

The reason we are asking this is because if you are promised slow speeds then upgrading your WiFi equipment won't yield any benefit until you upgrade your internet package. However, if you are promised higher speeds, then you might need to upgrade your wireless access point/router to something more modern.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 5:11 PM, Falcon1986 said:

Really? You don't know? It's the device that your WRT54GS would be connected to.

If your WiFi adapter is slow or isn't configured properly, then yes, it can be. But most adapters at default settings will connect at maximum speed that is being broadcast by your access point, distance, etc. And most times, these speeds are more than what your modem can provide with modern hardware.

It doesn't matter what is the "best" WiFi adapter. You can have the latest WiFi-6 compatible adapters in your devices, but if your access point is several generations of WiFi old, that access point will not be able to provide you with the speed potential that your devices can achieve.

So it all comes back down to this simple question that you haven't been able to answer yet. Find your ISP contract and see what you are paying for and the speeds that are promised. Or go to your ISP's website and see which package matches up the closest with your monthly internet expenses.

The reason we are asking this is because if you are promised slow speeds then upgrading your WiFi equipment won't yield any benefit until you upgrade your internet package. However, if you are promised higher speeds, then you might need to upgrade your wireless access point/router to something more modern.

Ok I found out. 50 down is how much i am getting sorry for wait