LMG UPS saga

Dutch_Master

Having watched the WAN show just now, Yvonne came on to update about the failed UPS. Unfortunately she was too far from the mic to be clearly heard and her dear husband didn't repeat so it was a bit of a struggle to understand what was said, but from what I understand LMG found a new supplier but now have to demolish a wall to extract the failed unit and put in the new one, right?

If so, can I suggest a more future-proof alternative that's also safer and in the end possibly even cheaper as well? Build a separate UPS room. Better, make that a separate battery room, UPS included. LMG has quite some space available in the units you guys hire/lease, so an extra 6 or 8 sq.m. would be obtainable from the current setup. Remember Linus, you're effectively running a small data-centre there, so you really should give it the space it needs. And having moved out the old, defective UPS (which, IIRC, can be dismantled in pieces as it's modular so no need for demolishing a wall!) gives you more space in the server room so we can see the rear end of the server rack too ;)  The only hole you need into the server room is the feed for the DPU's from the UPS. I seriously doubt you'd need a permit for making that one :P

Just me tuppence m'lads'n'lasses :)

(I'd wanted to put this in the official LTT forum, but regular users cannot start a new thread there. Totally understand why, don't get me wrong, so instead I posted it here. Move if desired/required, thx!)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

LMG has not had great luck with UPSs. They had older 2U UPS's that were refurbs and those kept dying. Now this bohemoth of a UPS only lasted just under 4 years when it's designed to be maintained without downtime.

It's kind of comical at this point. I don't mean anything bad by that though.

From what I could hear: "They have to cut a hole into the wall, but it's a load bearing wall, so they need permits and an engineer to look at it, but their new UPS is longer so they'll need to cut two holes to maybe get it into the room."

5 hours ago, zeto402 said:

Wonder what went wrong with it.

something shorted out when they put an extra 1000W load from a light. I'm mostly surprised part of petabyte project didn't trip it on start up.

it died and they need to replace it.

16 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

From what I could hear: "They have to cut a hole into the wall, but it's a load bearing wall, so they need permits and an engineer to look at it, but their new UPS is longer so they'll need to cut two holes to maybe get it into the room."

yep that is what I  got too

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It's LTT, they don't do things the right way, they do things the messy way. Your solution is obviously legit but is based on them being organized.

6 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Build a separate UPS room.

9 minutes ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

It's LTT, they don't do things the right way, they do things the messy way. Your solution is obviously legit but is based on them being organized.

The server room is under a staircase that leads to the mezzanine and, iirc, the room next to it is filled with editors.

Thx for that installation video, I hadn't seen it yet. I wonder why they need permits et all if they can just remove the wooden panel used to install the thing to get it out again. I wasn't aware of the location under the stairs, but it really doesn't mean too much: it's perfectly fine to have a (relatively) long feed between the UPS and the DPUs, as long as there's no additional outlets on it that effectively caused the old unit to fail. (pro-tip: if you really need that extra outlet as Linus explained why it was there in the first place, put it on a standard wall outlet with included breaker and mark clearly that it's only for emergency use, like painting a red circle around it or something!)

As for being disorganised, IMO that's more for show then in reality. Linus might indeed have a sense of YOLO about stuff, but Yvonne has her feet firmly planted on the ground, is my impression. Plus all the staff they hire to keep stuff organised ;)

Anyway, I put in my pennies worth, what they do with it is up to them. After all, it's their company :P

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

31 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

I wonder why they need permits et all

Because, like I mentioned above, the wall is load bearing. Therefore, they need permits and engineers to remove/install it correctly.

33 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

(pro-tip: if you really need that extra outlet as Linus explained why it was there in the first place, put it on a standard wall outlet with included breaker and mark clearly that it's only for emergency use, like painting a red circle around it or something!)

No.........