Should I Use An "ENTERPRISE" HD IN MY PC?

My PC has an 8 TB hard drive, that has less than 1 TB free.  I am planning to move my PC into a new case (a Fractal Design R6) and I figure that's as good a time as any to add more storage.  I was thinking adding a 6 TB hard drive would do the trick.  Looking on Newegg I discovered that the least expensive 6 TB hard drives are labeled as "Enterprise" drives.  My understanding is that normally you wouldn't use an Enterprise drive in a desktop because they are engineered to work in a more rigorous server environment and thus more expensive.  It would follow though that an Enterprise drive should work fine in a PC.  Am I wrong?  Newegg has a Seagate 6 TB Enterprise drive on sale for $94.50.

https://www.newegg.com/seagate-st6000nm0034-6tb/p/N82E16822178526

There was an even cheaper one for $82, also Enterprise, but it said in the description it would not work in a personal computer.  The one linked above does not say that (that I noticed) but does say the firmware is "maximized for Enterprise RAID systems."  I do not plan to use a RAID configuration.  They have a 6 TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive on sale for $112, but it is labeled refurbished.  A hard drive is not the kind of product I would be comfortable buying refurbished.  

Is the $94.50 Seagate drive fine to add to a PC?  If not should I reconsider a refurbished model?  Or just resign myself to spending between $150 and $200?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Don't buy Seagate drives. Don't buy refurbished drives. Both are a bad idea.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

That is SAS and not SATA.  SAS controllers aren't cheap either so it would be more expensive in the end.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I was looking over the page on Newegg again and read a review that talked about it being an SAS drive.  Isn't that the way?  You find an answer just after you ask for help.  I found an SAS controller card for $30 on Newegg but I really don't need to clutter up my PC with another add in card even if it was a couple of dollars cheaper.  I found a WD Blue 6 TD drive on Amazon for $138.24 and am going to go with that.  Thanks guys.

The other aspect of an enterprise drive is the longer warranty, but they may also be less concerned with noise, so you may end up with a louder drive versus a standard consumer drive. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Don't buy Seagate drives. Don't buy refurbished drives. Both are a bad idea.

seagate drives are just fine. plenty are deployed and work just fine. there was a time when they made a few bad batches.

Now refurbished I will agree on.

8tb X300 drives are right now some of the cheapest drives for 7200 RPM. 185$ amazon right now

SAS is another way to connect drives that is faster but also works with sata 1 way. you can have a sas controller control sata drives but not the other way around.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

seagate drives are just fine. plenty are deployed and work just fine. there was a time when they made a few bad batches.

8tb X300 drives are right now some of the cheapest drives for 7200 RPM. 185$ amazon right now

SAS is another way to connect drives that is faster but also works with sata 1 way. you can have a sas controller control sata drives but not the other way around.

What I find interesting is that at my workplace, we build large cabinets that are used on Navy ships, and the cards that are installed in these cabinets are using Seagate drives, and 2.5" drives at that. If they're so bad, why use them so profusely?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

Every single Seagate I've owned has either arrived dead, or died well, well before it should have. Fuck Seagate drives.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Every single Seagate I've owned has either arrived dead, or died well, well before it should have. Fuck Seagate drives.

Conversely, someone out there can say the same thing about other drive manufacturers.

Fuck all drive manufacturers. I'm joking, but the point is..anecdotes. Everyone has them, and some people just get unlucky. 

10 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've had a WD drive die with a very easy life. Everyone has a view on drive markers.

I think the forgotten drive maker Toshiba does some great price vs performance drives vs capacity.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Which is meaningless without actual analytical data.  65% of the dozen+ EKWB components I've owned died/broke, but that's CLEARLY not indicative of the company overall, or they couldn't still exist.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious