HP Zbook 15 G3 - Flashing power button

aluky

Hello,

I got a HP Zbook 15 G3 which does not power on a I didn't got any adapter with it. I tried connect it with my own 90W adapter (Officialy compatible is only 150W) and the laptop is still not powering on, just the LED next to power connector is shining and the power button dimly flashes. 

So my question is...is it possible, that it wouldn't even POST with 90W adapter?

31 minutes ago, aluky said:

Hello,

I got a HP Zbook 15 G3 which does not power on a I didn't got any adapter with it. I tried connect it with my own 90W adapter (Officialy compatible is only 150W) and the laptop is still not powering on, just the LED next to power connector is shining and the power button dimly flashes. 

So my question is...is it possible, that it wouldn't even POST with 90W adapter?

So there is an adaptor that is 150w (and what voltage?) that the manufacturer states is needed to make a machine work, you plug in a totally different adaptor with unknown voltage a bit more than half the size and find that it does not work.  You are surprised(?). And want to know if this is proof that the company engineers weren’t lying about it needing as much power as they said it did?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So there is an adaptor that is 150w (and what voltage?) that the manufacturer states is needed to make a machine work, you plug in a totally different adaptor with unknown voltage a bit more than half the size and find that it does not work.  You are surprised(?). And want to know if this is proof that the company engineers weren’t lying about it needing as much power as they said it did?

Well...I don't have much experience with HP laptops but I have experience with laptops from another manufacturers which works with lower wattage adaptors with slow charging speed or limited performace in some cases...which is OK for just fast test of function. And because I don't know if there are any worse problems (maybe dead motherboard, which is not so unusual in these), I just wanted to know if anyone have seen this behavior in connection with weak adaptor.

If the battery is dead, then it does not suprice me that it will no post with the 90W adapter. It should charge the battery fine with the unit powered off, try to let it sit for 30 min with charger and then try. If same issue you can try to disconnect batter and charger, then hold down the power button for 30 sec

what color is the the charging LED, and is it solid or blinking?

4 hours ago, Selle said:

If the battery is dead, then it does not suprice me that it will no post with the 90W adapter. It should charge the battery fine with the unit powered off, try to let it sit for 30 min with charger and then try. If same issue you can try to disconnect batter and charger, then hold down the power button for 30 sec

what color is the the charging LED, and is it solid or blinking?

Well...i borrowed a 150W adapter and it's acting like it was that problem...but now the laptop turns on but it has a black screen and it just ramping the fan speed up to the maximum and nothing happens...

• 7 months later...

Hello
What was the result of working on this device?
I have the same problem as you
The adapter is 90 watts
And I programmed all 3's

• 2 months later...

Having the same issue with one im working on. I replaced the mobo but its still doing it! The charger they provided me is 65w but they said it always worked fine before.

The first troubleshooting step will be to get the proper charger for it

On 9/25/2020 at 2:30 PM, sunpc861 said:

Hello
What was the result of working on this device?
I have the same problem as you
The adapter is 90 watts
And I programmed all 3's

Hi 

Any solution for this problem 

I have the same problem zbook 15 G3 but the adapter is 135 watts

On 2/23/2020 at 4:13 PM, aluky said:

Well...i borrowed a 150W adapter and it's acting like it was that problem...but now the laptop turns on but it has a black screen and it just ramping the fan speed up to the maximum and nothing happens...

Hi 

What is the solution for this problem 

I have the same problem Zbook 15 G3 but the adapter is 135 watts

I got the impression the problem was the PSU wasn’t big enough but I’m not sure. it’s a very old thread.  The OP never announced a solution  AFAIK.  I suggest people having this problem make new threads

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 5 months later...