Getting pretty frustating with programming.

Jeroen1322
Go to solution Solved by BrightCandle,

There are two sides to this IMO.

1) Learning on the job verses just learning

When it comes to learning a language/framework/whatever you have to spend some time learning the principles, the design philosophy and how it all sort of goes together. I personally do this by reading a book or a lengthy tutorial. I just sit and read through it, get a feeling for the concepts and practices and build up just a working picture of how the basics all work.

But that isn't even remotely enough to learn how to use it. After you have done the reading you need to spend time in the language, struggling to apply, referring back to the book for a while (weeks, months, years depending on what it is and how complicated it is) to learn to use the syntax and principles in a real program.

You can't just do one and get away without doing the other. A solid grounding in the principles might not be important to a project started but you will struggle without that theoretical background.

2) None of us remember everything, we probably forget so much after we have used it. A lot of what you do is just finding how to do something particular and then you don't use it again and hence never get to learn it fully. That doesn't matter. But if the core principles of the syntax and language are escaping you then more time learning and studying that is important.

Hi guys!

This is kind of pointless to post and may be considerd as a rant but here it go's! 

I've made multible websites and i'm learning almost every day. But i get really frustrated with myself. I have to make a website but i just completely forget how to program.. I have to look almost everything up on Google! 

When i learned Javascript and PHP i was confused shitless! I can read some PHP files and stuff but i can't write or even understand it! It feels like i have some sort of burn-out. There is a lot of presure on my shoulders because this is the first time i have to make a good professional website with search function and all that stuff. i don't know how to do that shit! 

My Code is just a giant clusterfuck and not ordered at all.

Thanks for taking the time to read it! :)

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I had many a rant while learning JavaScript for some reason.  html, python, and PHP all went smoothly for some reason.  Strange.

I had many a rant while learning JavaScript for some reason.  html, python, and PHP all went smoothly for some reason.  Strange.

IMO Javascript doesn't make sense to me! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

if u dont get frustrated with programming then you arent doing enough xD
i love prgramming and even though im getting better at it there will always be something you forget to do or forget how to do.

????

javascript sux compared to languiages like c# and python :P

Yea, I know a lot of people who think that as well.  C# is awkwardly weird for me.

If it was easy why do some people get paid 60$ an hour to do it?

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

????

I don't have any recourses to learn C# properly.. :( 

If it was easy why do some people get paid 60$ an hour to do it?

True, true but there are MANY company that just scam you! They make a website that isn't good at all for 600 dollar

????

Python is easy compared to a lot of others.

i think there is a song that goes like "shout shout let it all out"then something something 

anyway i wish you luck in you programing  :)

i found it

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I don't have any recourses to learn C# properly.. :(

That stinks, I'm learning it in my computer science class in school.

It's not just you. Javascript's syntax is utter shite IMHO. Just a horrible,

horrible language (note: I am of course fully aware of the very nice things

you can accomplish with it, but that doesn't make the language itself any

better, it just makes it useful).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Python is easy compared to a lot of others.

Couldn't agree more.   I started with Python.  It's the best language to start on IMO.

With php try to remember to press tab after { in the next line so it is pretty much like this always:

if(x==x){   while(y==y){      print "Easier to read, is not it?";   }}

Also if you learn javascript or php a bit it should be easy to move to c#, because the syntax are similar. At least it was for me; Had php in school and it was not that hard to learn some c# by myself.

And if you really wan't to get into programming you definitely have to buy/loan a book about the language.

Curing shitposts by shitposts

That stinks, I'm learning it in my computer science class in school.

Yeah i'm in high school and i take extra computer classes but people here beraly know how to turn on a computer (when the screen doesn't turn on they think the computer is broken).. So i don't have a challenge or something. Whe only used HTML and the teacher thought it was impressive when i used CSS.. So C# it out of question. :( (The fun thing is that it got so easy i had a lot of lessons left and i took that time to hack in my school network, told them how i did it and got 50 euro's if i wouldn't tell anybody :D )

With php try to remember to press tab after { in the next line so it is pretty much like this always:

if(x==x){

while(y==y){

print "Easier to read, is not it?";

}

}

That is indeed a lot easier to read! :)

I used codecademy for HTML / CSS / PHP / Javascript and i don't know if they learn C#

I used codecademy for HTML / CSS / PHP / Javascript and i don't know if they learn C#

ah true

i learned in hiugh school so

if u can learn c++ its pretty close

Hi guys!

This is kind of pointless to post and may be considerd as a rant but here it go's! 

I've made multible websites and i'm learning almost every day. But i get really frustrated with myself. I have to make a website but i just completely forget how to program.. I have to look almost everything up on Google! 

When i learned Javascript and PHP i was confused shitless! I can read some PHP files and stuff but i can't write or even understand it! It feels like i have some sort of burn-out. There is a lot of presure on my shoulders because this is the first time i have to make a good professional website with search function and all that stuff. i don't know how to do that shit! 

My Code is just a giant clusterfuck and not ordered at all.

Thanks for taking the time to read it! :)

You're not alone; I work full time at an electronics/office supply store and also a marketing firm doing their websites on my off days. Coming straight from high school, I've taught myself to read PHP/MYSQL after learning XHTML/4/5/CSS2/3 through the technology classes where, just like your description, the teachers thought my use of CSS descriptors was amazing!

Although I can read PHP, fully interpreting what's going on and even being able to write in new functions and hooks, I find it difficult to start a project from scratch, partly because there are so many bootstraps/pre-built environments out there I find it a waste to code something completely from the ground up, and mostly because my foundation is in static HTML/CSS code, and not dynamic PHP.

When I learned about the case:switch in PHP and how you can use it to load in different includes 'files.php' my brain exploded. (figuratively, of course.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

if(x==x){   while(y==y){      print "Easier to read, is not it?";   }}

^^ Ditto 100%. Good indentation is an absolute must. I can't survive without it, and depending on the language I even get frustrated if I don't have a good auto indent/complete. Or worse, the auto complete treats curly braces differently than I like :P .

Anyway. Sounds like the OP needs some extra motivation. Scott Hanselman did a great blog post on the idea of "imposter syndrome" http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ImAPhonyAreYou.aspx (<---link).  I also say that if you feel comfortable you aren't pushing hard enough either. The first step to improving is admitting you have a problem, and if you don't know what you aren't good at you can't improve at all.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

There are two sides to this IMO.

1) Learning on the job verses just learning

When it comes to learning a language/framework/whatever you have to spend some time learning the principles, the design philosophy and how it all sort of goes together. I personally do this by reading a book or a lengthy tutorial. I just sit and read through it, get a feeling for the concepts and practices and build up just a working picture of how the basics all work.

But that isn't even remotely enough to learn how to use it. After you have done the reading you need to spend time in the language, struggling to apply, referring back to the book for a while (weeks, months, years depending on what it is and how complicated it is) to learn to use the syntax and principles in a real program.

You can't just do one and get away without doing the other. A solid grounding in the principles might not be important to a project started but you will struggle without that theoretical background.

2) None of us remember everything, we probably forget so much after we have used it. A lot of what you do is just finding how to do something particular and then you don't use it again and hence never get to learn it fully. That doesn't matter. But if the core principles of the syntax and language are escaping you then more time learning and studying that is important.

I have had the opportunity to create a small interactive website using CSS/JS in my first year at uni, I'm glad I don't have touch it ever again, and stay with C++ and it's children. Who came up with a language that doesn't let you know when you made errors ?!...