Hardware for a modded Minecraft server

Howlandhuang

I want to build my own server (2~5 player with 50 mods) but I can't figure out actually what kind of CPU I need? I heard about Minecraft server doesn't fit multiple cores well so I guess a Pentium G3470 is enough ?

just a question I want to throw into the room.

have you considered not buying a computer and using a hoster for your gameserver?

also, high core clock is your friend, aswell minimum 8gb ram (16 are better, when running your own server).

Faster clock speed is better if possible and 16GB of ram should suffice. If you can host the server from a SSD but point the backups to a hard drive... +1

If modded minecraft is the only thing being hosted on the server, then you will need a high clock CPU. I believe some pentiums can reach 4GHz, in which this will provide a better experience. Also, 16 GB of ram is your go to, as well as an SSD.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

3 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

just a question I want to throw in the room.

have you considered not buying a computer and using a hoster for your gameserver?

also, high core clock is your friend, aswell minimum 8gb ram (16 are better, when running your own server).

Thank you for your advice :)honestly hosting a vps is better (im running one already) but in China the PRICE is the nightmare :( one with 2C4G with 5Mbps cost almost $50/month.

by the way, I wonder old Xeon like E3-12xx v2 or sthg else is ok if the server can use multiple cores to offset the lower clock speed ?

24 minutes ago, Howlandhuang said:

I want to build my own server (2~5 player with 50 mods) but I can't figure out actually what kind of CPU I need? I heard about Minecraft server doesn't fit multiple cores well so I guess a Pentium G3470 is enough ?

A decent few generation old intel core i5 should be more than enough for most people I'd imagine. Hyperthreading might boost server performance a bit but I'm not entirely sure how that works. As of now I'm running a vanilla server on an i5 3570 and haven't had issues yet I plan to upgrade to a 3770 at some point though. I'd recommend hardware a little newer than mine however.

Edit: minecraft servers only use one core. No need for multiple cores your best bet is a high clocked older intel cpu anywhere above 3.5ghz is probably fine.

2 minutes ago, Howlandhuang said:

Thank you for your advice :)honestly hosting a vps is better (im running one already) but in China the PRICE is the nightmare :( one with 2C4G with 5Mbps cost almost $50/month.

by the way, I wonder old Xeon like E3-12xx v2 or sthg else is ok if the server can use multiple cores to offset the lower clock speed ?

That's why I wanted to ask :)

In your case I'd go with a high clocking second hand cpu from a few years back. Maybe you can get your hands on a i7 6700(k) or 6600(k). Also try to get a used mainboard from that era, should be sufficient.

And I agree on using a ssd and hdd for backup, and in your case you should go for 16gb ram operating in dual channel (2x8gb).

good luck with your build!

3 minutes ago, Killing-time-itself said:

A decent few generation old intel core i5 should be more than enough for most people I'd imagine. Hyperthreading might boost server performance a bit but I'm not entirely sure how that works. As of now I'm running a vanilla server on an i5 3570 and haven't had issues yet I plan to upgrade to a 3770 at some point though. I'd recommend hardware a little newer than mine however.

Thanks! I check both CPU in cpubenchmark.net ebay.com and taobao.com .They have almost same scores in SingleThread (assume server use single core not multiple) but the 3770 price is not good I suggest you keep 3570 :)

23 hours ago, Howlandhuang said:

Thanks! I check both CPU in cpubenchmark.net ebay.com and taobao.com .They have almost same scores in SingleThread (assume server use single core not multiple) but the 3770 price is not good I suggest you keep 3570 :)

The 3770 is a little pricey but if hyperthreading makes a reasonable difference for server performance might not be such a bad buy. But I'll probably do a full hardware upgrade before then.