hard drive defragging tool

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

I like o&o defrag the most.

Note that most defragmenting tools (including the above mentioned o&o defrag) work best if there's at least 10-15% free disk space on the drive.

With some really full drives, I even had to resort to making a ram drive of around 6-8 GB, moving 8 GB of stuff from the hard drive to ram to make empty space on the drive and when the defrag was done, moved back those 8 GB onto the drive. It was worth the speed increase.

Other tricks include resetting the page file in windows, or disabling hybernation/sleep (because that can make a big hidden file on the boot partition) or running disk cleanup in administrator mode to empty the crap before defragmenting

o&o defrag also allows you to specify regions on the drive and to put some file types in specific areas of the drive... this can accelerate the defragmentation process.

For example, if you have big MP4 and MKV video files, you can configure o&o defrag to position them sequentially at the end of the drive - this is because you mostly watch movies at real time speed, so even if the files are at the end of a mechanical drive where the transfer speeds are lowest, you still get 50-100 MB/s of transfer speed and the bitrates of movies are usually in the <10 MB/s range.

You can then put mp3, aac, opus, flac before the video files ... and big game files (like 40-50 GB files from games) in the center of the drive... you're left with binaries (applications) at the start of the drive, for highest access times.

Knowing all of the above, a defragmenting tool can quickly sort through all the files extract those extensions calculate where those files will eventually end up and speed up the process.

so I'm trying to look for a faster defragging tool and I really don't know where else to look I am using right now Defraggler but it takes like 3 days to defrag my hard drive I used to use My Defrag GUI what's used to work great but for some reason is Now not working I expect a defrag to take a long time but 3 days for just 1 terabyte hard drive that's not even full I have another 2 terabyte hard drive that will need defragging as well as a nother 4 terabyte hard drive a few of the ones I was trying to Google to install tryed to give me malware

sorry if it's hard to read I use speech to text to write this please and thank you for any help

Thank you for any help. This is a note that I have a hard Time reading and writing. so I have to use mostly Free Speech to Text options to get by and free reading software that does not always catch the errors in my writing. and also doesn't always hear the punctuation marks. So I thank you for your patience and understanding and ask that you do not point out or ridicule my disability. I am doing the best I can with what I have I am sorry to say this is actually the only form I've actually had to post a signature like this on for any time i need help.

Defrags take a while, thats kinda just how they work, hdds are slow and you have to move a lot of small files around.

Is the hdd at max usage?

Most programs will give you a fast option if you want to save time.

know the drives not even close to Max usage

Thank you for any help. This is a note that I have a hard Time reading and writing. so I have to use mostly Free Speech to Text options to get by and free reading software that does not always catch the errors in my writing. and also doesn't always hear the punctuation marks. So I thank you for your patience and understanding and ask that you do not point out or ridicule my disability. I am doing the best I can with what I have I am sorry to say this is actually the only form I've actually had to post a signature like this on for any time i need help.

I have an SSD as my boot Drive what was video games taking up so much space now in days I have to start storing them on a hard drive 

Windows has a defrag tool built in.

If it's taking 3 days to defrag a 1tb HDD then there's probably something wrong with the drive. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Note that most defragmenting tools (including the above mentioned o&o defrag) work best if there's at least 10-15% free disk space on the drive.

With some really full drives, I even had to resort to making a ram drive of around 6-8 GB, moving 8 GB of stuff from the hard drive to ram to make empty space on the drive and when the defrag was done, moved back those 8 GB onto the drive. It was worth the speed increase.

Other tricks include resetting the page file in windows, or disabling hybernation/sleep (because that can make a big hidden file on the boot partition) or running disk cleanup in administrator mode to empty the crap before defragmenting

o&o defrag also allows you to specify regions on the drive and to put some file types in specific areas of the drive... this can accelerate the defragmentation process.

For example, if you have big MP4 and MKV video files, you can configure o&o defrag to position them sequentially at the end of the drive - this is because you mostly watch movies at real time speed, so even if the files are at the end of a mechanical drive where the transfer speeds are lowest, you still get 50-100 MB/s of transfer speed and the bitrates of movies are usually in the <10 MB/s range.

You can then put mp3, aac, opus, flac before the video files ... and big game files (like 40-50 GB files from games) in the center of the drive... you're left with binaries (applications) at the start of the drive, for highest access times.

Knowing all of the above, a defragmenting tool can quickly sort through all the files extract those extensions calculate where those files will eventually end up and speed up the process.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

thank you so much by chance do you have a link to where I can get that program

Windows 10 defrag tools can run in the background automatically. I have 0% fragmentation any time. I never touch defrag since the first time i installed win 10.

1TB drive should take 1-2 hours to defrag, if it's too long, then there's something wrong.

Partitioning the drive can also speed up defrag.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, Braeden Of Rhea said:

thank you so much by chance do you have a link to where I can get that program

There's a 30 day free (shareware) version on their website: https://www.oo-software.com/en/download/current/oodefragpro

There's a completely free (but older) version with fewer configurable settings, which should work perfectly fine with Windows 7 and maybe Windows 8, but I think it's a bit too old to work well in Windows 10 : https://filehippo.com/download_oo_defrag_free_edition/

One year licence is some 13€ for o&o. I like the "solid" function and trim. According to my aida measurements, it actually works.. 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

I'm currently using Disk SpeedUp. It and O&O were the ones most recommended. That also weren't Defraggler, SmartDefrag or Windows' integrated.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv