Best LGA 1155 socket CPU for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
1 hour ago, Reaper814 said:

around 90$ for a CPU. But I have a chance of getting a i5-3570k for free.

If you can't upgrade your whole system to Ryzen (you can't on that budget), update your current motherboard's BIOS and make sure it's compatible with Xeons, then grab an E3 1240v2 from eBay for $60. There's actually one for sale right now for $45, which is "shut up and take my money" level pricing. The 1240v2 (make sure it's a v2--v3 Xeons will not work on LGA 1155) is basically a locked i7-3770K. No overclocking, but it's also half the price so...yeah. Worth it in my book.

Hello I was wandering what was the best LGA 1155 socket CPU for gaming? I currently have a i5-2500 so I got a LGA 1155 motherboard. (ASUS P8Z68 Pro/Gen3 if that's necessary info) But with best performance to value because I do have a budget but willing to expand if it is worth it.

That will be the i7-3770k, seeing as your mobo supports overclocking :D

But to be fair, just upgrade the motherboard and ram along with the cpu to a newer socket, if you have the money for it.
You can still sell your motherboard and cpu for a decent price. That might not be the case soon.

Our life is what our thoughts make it.

- Marcus Aurelius

What's your budget?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, Reaper814 said:

Hello I was wandering what was the best LGA 1155 socket CPU for gaming? I currently have a i5-2500 so I got a LGA 1155 motherboard. (ASUS P8Z68 Pro/Gen3 if that's necessary info) But with best performance to value because I do have a budget but willing to expand if it is worth it.

Not a fantastic buy unless you got it cheap.  A 3700k is 4/8 with OC, so if you get a bit lucky and the chip clocks high it will work for a while. Not terribly long probably.  4/8 is looking a lot like 6/6 these days which is not likely to live long past the new consoles releases for gaming.  It might of course.  It all depends what the threading is like for games that haven’t been released yet.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

i7 3770k, i7 2600k. They overclock pretty good and perform almost the same.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not a fantastic buy unless you got it cheap.  A 3700k is 4/8 with OC, so if you get a bit lucky and the chip clocks high it will work for a while. Not terribly long probably.  4/8 is looking a lot like 6/6 these days which is not likely to live long past the new consoles releases for gaming.  It might of course.  It all depends what the threading is like for games that haven’t been released yet.

i think these older 4/8 chips won't be viable once consoles raise the bar. I think Ryzen 7 2700x/Ryzen 5 3600x is the new standard for 2020s+

4 minutes ago, bomerr said:

i think these older 4/8 chips won't be viable once consoles raise the bar. I think Ryzen 7 2700x/Ryzen 5 3600x is the new standard for 2020s+

It’s probable.  Was more probable.  Things have gotten more vague lately though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

What's your budget?

1 hour ago, Diverticz said:

But to be fair, just upgrade the motherboard and ram along with the cpu to a newer socket, if you have the money for it.

I do know I could get a cheap ryzen setup but cannot get a new mobo for a while with me just upgrading some components.

1 hour ago, Reaper814 said:

If you can't upgrade your whole system to Ryzen (you can't on that budget), update your current motherboard's BIOS and make sure it's compatible with Xeons, then grab an E3 1240v2 from eBay for $60. There's actually one for sale right now for $45, which is "shut up and take my money" level pricing. The 1240v2 (make sure it's a v2--v3 Xeons will not work on LGA 1155) is basically a locked i7-3770K. No overclocking, but it's also half the price so...yeah. Worth it in my book.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Thank you!