Installation of top fan

Kanna
10 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

With everything available, thats all I got. Next step I would suggest is to contact Asus support and ask them directly.

Is there a direct link or do i have to register my product as it says when i search asus support

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

Is there a direct link or do i have to register my product as it says when i search asus support

I don't currently own Asus products so I can't answer that. Registration is in place to prevent spam. I do get this form when looking at their support https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/Services/questionform/?lang=fi-fi'&_ga=2.208194705.2047994848.1581862218-794396844.1558130768

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 months later...

I have been looking for this same topic. Just got a new fan 120mm to install on the top of my GL12 case. Same troubles. Can't seem to see how to remove the top panel to access the top mount screws for the fan to be installed from within. I see tabs and all but I thin the FRONT panel needs to be removed first before the top panel can slide forward and unhinge. But now I am looking at how to pop off the front panel. There seems to be 6 tabs on the side (with both side panels removed). But then there are pop pins on the inside of the case holding in the front panel that are super hard to reach. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-Strix-GL12/HelpDesk_Manual/

try looking through the manual here. It may show you how to disassemble the case.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:12 PM, fearjac said:

I have been looking for this same topic. Just got a new fan 120mm to install on the top of my GL12 case. Same troubles. Can't seem to see how to remove the top panel to access the top mount screws for the fan to be installed from within. I see tabs and all but I thin the FRONT panel needs to be removed first before the top panel can slide forward and unhinge. But now I am looking at how to pop off the front panel. There seems to be 6 tabs on the side (with both side panels removed). But then there are pop pins on the inside of the case holding in the front panel that are super hard to reach. 

This kinda is reviving a topic but still haven’t found a solution

On 5/4/2020 at 11:28 PM, Takumidesh said:

https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/ROG-Strix-GL12/HelpDesk_Manual/

try looking through the manual here. It may show you how to disassemble the case.

Asus doesn’t show how to disassemble even contacted support they ”aren’t allowed to help me”

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Are you able to remove the front panel? There may be some screws that are otherwise inaccessible for the top panel. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you able to remove the front panel? There may be some screws that are otherwise inaccessible for the top panel. 

Dude trust me its impossible to disassemble without the asus guide which is employee only since they can't provide stuff that make users disassemble their PCs i can see how to do it if I buy my pc model again but already with a top fan then maybe I will get a manual this time

Reminder⚠️

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 3:56 AM, Kanna said:

Dude trust me its impossible to disassemble without the asus guide which is employee only since they can't provide stuff that make users disassemble their PCs i can see how to do it if I buy my pc model again but already with a top fan then maybe I will get a manual this time

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the exact same issue as you but I successfully added two fans to the GL12CP.

It is possible to remove the front panel and top to install fans.

Start by bending the side-clamps of the front panel outwards (Not too hard or they'll break like one of mine). Then you'll want to remove the front by pushing the bottom clips first, then the panel will pop out. (Note: a flat screwdriver helps pushing out the bottom clips. Also, watch the aurora LED cable when you pull it the front).

Once that's out, the rest is easy. Unscrew the 2 screws on top, and slide the top panel towards the front and voila, access to screwing fan location!

front.jpg

outer.jpg

top.jpg

3 minutes ago, bob032 said:

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the exact same issue as you but I successfully added two fans to the GL12CP.

It is possible to remove the front panel and top to install fans.

Start by bending the side-clamps of the front panel outwards (Not too hard or they'll break like one of mine). Then you'll want to remove the front by pushing the bottom clips first, then the panel will pop out. (Note: a flat screwdriver helps pushing out the bottom clips. Also, watch the aurora LED cable when you pull it the front).

Once that's out, the rest is easy. Unscrew the 2 screws on top, and slide the top panel towards the front and voila, access to screwing fan location!

front.jpg

outer.jpg

top.jpg

OMG can I please have a video of it since I'm to dumb to understand text

Reminder⚠️

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

OMG can I please have a video of it since I'm to dumb to understand text

Sorry video quality is bad, don't have proper lightning xd

Also it's harder to pop out front with only one hand lol.

Basically push the bottom clips out with your fingers or a hard object.

For the top, just gently slide it towards the front (I had no grip with one hand so it seemed that I pushed really hard)

Hope it helps!

Btw, the other chassis_fan is constantly outputting max RPM for me, I don't if it's an issue with my motherboard 🤷‍♂️ oh well, great temp for a lil louder system at idle

@bob032 Tysm the comment may be a little late since I’m changing case in the coming month but I will reuse this one also the max rpm thing won’t be a problem for me sonce I controll the speed on a remote

Reminder⚠️

I agree with changing case, this one is def not the best: no space for multiple fans, no fan filters, lots of holes for dust to come in.

Also I'm never upgrading a pre-built ever again. Went from one small RAM upgrade to literally every component upgraded minus the CPU, motherboard and storage. 

2 minutes ago, bob032 said:

I agree with changing case, this one is def not the best: no space for multiple fans, no fan filters, lots of holes for dust to come in.

Also I'm never upgrading a pre-built ever again. Went from one small RAM upgrade to literally every component upgraded minus the CPU, motherboard and storage. 

Yeah only thing I’ve upgraded here is RAM and HDD

Reminder⚠️

• 4 weeks later...

Its 2020 and Bob032 vid i still the only help i Can find thx bob

20 minutes ago, Seliens said:

Its 2020 and Bob032 vid i still the only help i Can find thx bob

Good to see @bob032 helping others he is the only one who posted a guide

Reminder⚠️

Thanks for the guide on opening the front and top panel. Also I have a question, does it support adding more than one intake fan in the front of the case? I also have the same PC as well. Thanks.

6 hours ago, SuperDott said:

Thanks for the guide on opening the front and top panel. Also I have a question, does it support adding more than one intake fan in the front of the case? I also have the same PC as well. Thanks.

Maybe does on the front but you may have to add fan holes not sure if a 120mm fits there

Reminder⚠️

Because I bought 2 Arctic 120mm fans so I can put 2 intake fans in the front for positive air pressure. If not, I'll put one intake in the front and another fan for push/pull configuration for the CPU air cooler. The CPU air cooler I bought is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition because the stock cooler for the i7-8700 didn't cool so well and it was loud, so that's why I bought the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition. On the motherboard it says CFL1151, so I think CFL stands for Coffee Lake. On CPU-Z, it says that the i7-8700 has a LGA1151 socket. I hope the CPU air cooler will fit in my system.

49 minutes ago, SuperDott said:

I hope the CPU air cooler will fit in my system.

Per the product page on Cooler Master's website, the Hyper 212 fits the LGA1151 socket, so at least in that regard you are good.

@bob032 Thanks for the guide and @Kanna for starting the thread. You can't imagine how many times I have emailed ASUS about this and I have been looking for ways to take the front and top panel out!

1 hour ago, Cru012 said:

@bob032 Thanks for the guide and @Kanna for starting the thread. You can't imagine how many times I have emailed ASUS about this and I have been looking for ways to take the front and top panel out!

Yeah I emailed asus to but their damn policies don't allow them to say but @bob032 is a legend

Reminder⚠️