Eclipse Freezing

Orcblood

So, it's me again. I thought I would ask another question. I've been having a problem with eclipse being unresponsive when calling a function in python. For example it usually hangs when I start typing out a function, like pygame. and right there it freezes. After I type the period it become unresponsive for about 10 seconds or so than becomes responsive again. I've had this problem for quite a while and all though I can just wait it out and be patient it gets rather annoying after a while of coding. I've tried reinstalling it and using different versions of Eclipse. Any clues to why this could be and how to fix it? 

Note: It isn't so bad if I try typing out the function fast.

You generally don't want to use Eclipse, it's so horribly bloated. There are plenty of other much better IDE's or you could just use a text editor instead. I prefer the last solution, but some people absolutely need their IDE's for organizing.

You generally don't want to use Eclipse, it's so horribly bloated. There are plenty of other much better IDE's or you could just use a text editor instead. I prefer the last solution, but some people absolutely need their IDE's for organizing.

Eclipse is a great IDE for Java, I've never tried Python though.

Eclipse is a great IDE for Java, I've never tried Python though.

Eclipse is horribly slow compared to other IDE's and especially compared to just using a good text editor.

Eclipse is horribly slow compared to other IDE's and especially compared to just using a good text editor.

Does it really matter? I mean with the hardware we've got it's barely noticeable that eclipse is running. Sometimes I get side tracked and forget that eclipse is still opened in background and won't even notice it until I try opening it again and find out that it's already opened ;)

I wouldn't even use an IDE for python, least of all something as slow and bloated as Eclipse. I'd suggest either looking at the the python specific IDEs, or just using something like Sublime Text as python is pretty easy to debug so you shouldn't have any trouble writing in a text editor.

I have an fx 8320 with 12gb of ram and a 500gb hdd. Don't think it is my system. I like eclipse's layout (I have it cutomized too) . Like it also for organizing. I really would like to try to get eclipse working right before ever moving to another IDE. It was working good when I first got it but than when I deleted it and re installed a different version(s) it started doing that. The first version I got was java EE I believe. I currently have Eclipse Standard Kepler ver. 4.3.0 on my pc.

I have an fx 8320 with 12gb of ram and a 500gb hdd. Don't think it is my system. I like eclipse's layout (I have it cutomized too) . Like it also for organizing. I really would like to try to get eclipse working right before ever moving to another IDE. It was working good when I first got it but than when I deleted it and re installed a different version(s) it started doing that. The first version I got was java EE I believe. I currently have Eclipse Standard Kepler ver. 4.3.0 on my pc.

You could try disabling intellisense since it doesn't sound like it's working anyway. The option for Java (it may be different for the Python plugin) is in window > preferences > Java > editor > content assist  and uncheck enable auto activation.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7463691/eclipse-pydev-completion-hangs-yet-again

This may be a relevant issue. 

Also, are you using PyDev or Aptana? The Aptana plugin includes PyDev as a component. You could try either or depending on which plugin you're using right now. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Eclipse was really slow for me too. I think it is the compilation as soon as you take the code that makes this issue. Anyways I don't use eclipse anymore, I recommend usign IntelliJ Idea. It has an amazing auto complete and looks super sexy. It's also one of the fastest IDEs out there.

After I install Eclipse I always make a few key edits in the eclipse.ini as the defaults often result in stalls. I always add the following after the -vmargs:

-Xmx2048m

-server

Those two will get you 2GB of maximum RAM used instead of the default (which is often really low like 128MB and it stalls on GC often with low RAM) and -server makes Java more aggressively compile the code and with a program open all day like eclipse that helps quite a bit. My full list is the following and maybe you will find these help:

-Xmx2048m
-Xms512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-server
-XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
-XX:+UseCompressedOops

i know my post is not going to help with problem solving, but please do try to use IntelliJ. I love Eclipse, but I do love IntelliJ (after I got used to it) even more!