Will Gpu Cool Well w/ ~4cm In Between?

Beamnger

Currently got 2x RTX 2070s from Asus, they appear to be 3 slot thick and therefore leaves absolutely no space in between where the fan is. Considered water cooling but personally think it's too expensive and risky to disassemble and lose warranty. So thinking of selling them off for 2x slim ones from Zotac, do you think this is sufficient to solve the problem?

42 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

You could just try some benchmarks out and see how the temps handle

Yeah it starts to go hot after 10 minutes of continuous usage, 70-80c for the top one, full fan speed. That's why I'm considering switching to slim ones, which I don't know how it will perform yet with bigger gap

In an unrelated note, why 2 2070s?  Compute? SLI just isn’t that useful.

My personal cheapass solution attempt, which might not work even if it is possible, would be to mount a fan of the side of the cas pointed RIGHT at that gap and see if I could get enough air into it to make a difference

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

In an unrelated note, why 2 2070s?  Compute? SLI just isn’t that useful.

My personal cheapass solution attempt, which might not work even if it is possible, would be to mount a fan of the side of the cas pointed RIGHT at that gap and see if I could get enough air into it to make a difference

Might help but limited effect. I use GPU for rendering so using two will double the speed btw.

5 hours ago, Beamnger said:

Yeah it starts to go hot after 10 minutes of continuous usage, 70-80c for the top one, full fan speed. That's why I'm considering switching to slim ones, which I don't know how it will perform yet with bigger gap

Could get a cheap PCIe extension cable, and mount the bottom GPU in a lower case slot... That is of course if your case is big enough, and your motherboard has the space for it. (so you line up the card with gaps between other slots, or below the last one)

If nothing else, you could vertical mount it.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

8 hours ago, Beamnger said:

Might help but limited effect. I use GPU for rendering so using two will double the speed btw.

That would be compute alright.  Since you’re not doing SLI,  I’m kinda liking @BTGbullseye’s idea.  If there’s room.  sideways mounts maybe.  Some enthusiast builds do em to better display their video cards.  Mounting Parts and instructions are available  There should be some way to get the cards far enoughaway from each other enough to get air to em with a pcie extension cable.  Couple of options for that one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

How much space is in between your cards now? if 4cm is a huge increase than it would propably improve your temps. If you are technical affine and can handle tools i'd mount it sideways and maybe build a cage but if you don't want the hassle, espicially if you are going to upgrade the card again at some point, you could simply get a bigger case that will easily fit 2 big gpus and maybe even encapsulate them in terms of airflow, thereby making the problem not a problem anymore.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.

6 hours ago, Bumbummen said:

How much space is in between your cards now? if 4cm is a huge increase than it would propably improve your temps. If you are technical affine and can handle tools i'd mount it sideways and maybe build a cage but if you don't want the hassle, espicially if you are going to upgrade the card again at some point, you could simply get a bigger case that will easily fit 2 big gpus and maybe even encapsulate them in terms of airflow, thereby making the problem not a problem anymore.

There's about 0.1cm haha, top card averages 20c higher than the bottom

6 hours ago, Beamnger said:

There's about 0.1cm haha, top card averages 20c higher than the bottom

With 0,1cm or 1mm i can imagine the air getting warm from the contact to the backplate, but with 4cm? I dont think so :) would be interesting tho to know the limit about this but i am no expert in thremal dynamics so idk but 1mm is too less. The thing is do you really want to try it out with new cards and maybe it does not work as expected or they are slower? Id re-mount it or get another case instead of different cards as that is definitely going to work, you wont loose any performance and with the latter one you will never have to think about this problem again.

I am NOT a native english speaker and use translate a lot, please do not take it literally and bear with me.