0.79Ghz Stuck zzzzz...

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

The person who claimed that worked had a 7577.  It does not hurt to try.  Open up the device manager, disable your Nvidia GPU and then do a sleep resume cycle and see if this works.  Sometimes just a sleep resume cycle all by itself is enough to get around these throttling issues.

4 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

This 15 Watt limitation has been around for a while.  Try a few different BIOS versions and maybe you will get lucky.

Just setting the undervolt.  A -100 mV undervolt for the core and cache is a good place to start testing.

I think this has been happening since the release date because I got it around then.I've had it since the start, so there may not be a bios update. I did the undervolt and it still has that 15 Watt limitation/0.79ghz stuck.

I've had issue with Dell 9560 when I updated BIOS. It was throttling my CPU at much lower temperatures than regular, and it appeared to be known issue. Once I switched to another BIOS version, it's gone.

Also first thing to check on laptop is cooling.

10 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Try a few different BIOS versions and maybe you will get lucky.

according to this I don't think downgrading is possible with the Dell G7.

What bios version are you on?  Go into the bios or use CPU-Z.  It can tell you.  

Edit BIOS 1.11.1 is the latest version.

Just now, unclewebb said:

What bios version are you on?  Go into the bios or use CPU-Z.  It can tell you.  I think 1.9 is the latest version.

I'm on version 1.11.1 

The dell website says this is the latest version.

Your are right, 1.11.1 is the latest.  That sucks.  That means they never fixed this problem and likely never will.

The next update will likely eliminate CPU voltage control.  That is on the horizon for all manufacturers. 

3 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Your are right, 1.11.1 is the latest.  That sucks.  That means they never fixed this problem and likely never will.

Do you think they will let me exchange this laptop for another dell product? Or do you have any other recommendations to move forward with this laptop?

I would contact Dell and complain.  There seems to be no fix and no chance of a fix.  I would not be happy if my new laptop performed on par with a 10+ year old laptop.  See what Dell can do about this.

8 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

I would contact Dell and complain.  There seems to be no fix and no chance of a fix.  I would not be happy if my new laptop performed on par with a 10+ year old laptop.  See what Dell can do about this.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G7-CPU-stuck-at-0-8-GHz-on-Battery/td-p/6111521/page/12 this is an article I found that may fix the problem. Maybe it'll help you help me.

The person who claimed that worked had a 7577.  It does not hurt to try.  Open up the device manager, disable your Nvidia GPU and then do a sleep resume cycle and see if this works.  Sometimes just a sleep resume cycle all by itself is enough to get around these throttling issues.

This totally fixed the issue. Somehow the gfx card seemed to be affected the cpu usage. The laptop runs smoothly without a charger now. I was wondering if someone could help me create a .bat file that enables and disables the gfx card tho.

Not sure how to enable and disable the GPU with a .bat file. 

Contact Dell. Ask them to fix their screw up. Forums confirm that this has been an issue for years.

You can but you need devcon. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/devcon

devcon disable/enable <hardwareids>

Put that bat file in C:\Windows\ and just type in Run to use it. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 hours ago, Sushil K said:

I do have the dell power manager app but I can't find the TDP settings. 

They are not labelled as such, but the options in "thermal management" (might be called differently, my OS isn't set to English) do change TDP. I also have a "15W TDP" CPU, "Silent" is the lowest and basically always at 15W, while "Max performance" will allow up to 45W and obviously makes a massive difference.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this will work for you, I owned a G7 7588 (i5, 1050ti)
Been updated to newest bios and reinstall windows, lost all of my previous throttlestop setting. The laptop only runs at 0.8ghz all time even when plugged in and the undervolt option in throttle stop is locked. Here is what i did to solve my problem:
Go to bios, reset it to factory setting, this enable the undervolt option

Go to windows store and install Dell Power Manager

Open it, it will ask you to update, be patient and update, take a while for me.

In Battery Information tab, change Battery Setting to Primarily AC Use.

In Thermal Management, choose Ultra Performance.

This will remove the 0.8 ghz limit.

You result may vary as the laptop still has 'power limit' but the clock limit is removed.

I tried stress with 2 thread and get around 1.8-> 2 ghz when not plugged and 3.9ghz when plugged

Hope this help